Why is the lettering on my mbp not crisp? (picture)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cake90036, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cake90036 macrumors regular

Its really bothering me I took a screenshot to show you. You can see it on the lettering on the drop-down bars at the top and with the word youtube. I am sure it is just a small setting that got affected.

Attached Files:

2. euphoria47 macrumors member

I don't see anything wrong tbh. Youtube logo is an image, it is blurry for me as well. Make sure your screen is at native resolution, that could be the heart of your issue, though I don't see much difference between your screenshot and my screen.

3. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

Nah there is something off. The lettering on my actual desktop is the same way. Its very pixelated

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Why do you say you are sure that "it is just a small setting that got affected". Has it not always been like this?

I don't see anything wrong, by the way.

5. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

that is what my 11' mbp 15 looks like, i don't mind it. My 11' 17 hi res antiglare is ultra crisp, it's great, but this a little easier on the eyes

6. cake90036 thread starter macrumors regular

because that is what i think... i am not sure if it has always been like this but it just come to my attention the other day while on youtube then i noticed the lettering on the bar up top where file edit etc are and the also appear pixelated.

7. euphoria47 macrumors member

you may have an issue that screen capture cannot portray. Screen capture will show what your graphic output is, but if there is a chance there is a problem with your display itself, you may want to look at your own screenshot from a different machine to rule it out.

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

font smoothing? That can be checked on system prefences > appearance, it's the next-to-bottom option.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Are you, by chance, used to PCs and Microsoft Windows?
    Apple and Microsoft disagrees on how to display fonts: Apple believes they should look as close to reality (how the font was designed and what it looks like on paper) as possible (sacrificing sharpness), and Microsoft believes they should look as sharp as possible (sacrificing accuracy).

Fonts look different in Mac OS and Windows.

10. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

+1

I am still getting use to Mac text display. Text displayed on Window machines are definitely sharper, but I am not sure if this is what the OP is experiencing. :confused:

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yup. Looks normal to me too. It's a Mac thing. I noticed it last year when I got my first Mac. 1 year later and now Windows looks weird to me. You adjust. I don't think it's better or worse, just a different approach at rendering text.

12. mackage macrumors 6502

I just looked at my late 2008 MBP and the lettering on mine is alot crisper than what is shown in the photo.

Not sure why though.

13. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I think I understand where the OP is coming from however the lettering does not appear crisp as it looks like the characters are slightly embossed and not black giving it a softer look. Not sure if anyone would agree with me though but its no big deal to me. In fact I think its that little bit easier on the eye.

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

For me this is particularly noticeable on an external display.

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Isn't that screenshot? If there are issues with the panel itself, they would not appear in that "picture."

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Odd, I don't know if the OP has confused my eyes but it does look ever so slightly off to me, but only if I really think about it.