Why is the liberal media having a love affair with the sister of a brutal dictator?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They realize this person's brother is the closest thing to Hitler on the face of the planet and straps people to anti aircraft canons fires and runs the pieces over with tanks? Starves his own people and puts them in concentration camps? What the **** is wrong with these people?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/02/10/asia/kim-sister-olympics/index.html

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/11/world/asia/kim-yo-jong-mike-pence-olympics.html?referer=https://www-cnbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/02/12/story-about-kim-jong-uns-sister-is-good-reporting-ny-times-ceo.html?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQECAEYAQ==

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...6119fc-0e65-11e8-baf5-e629fc1cd21e_story.html

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That's RICH......seeing how Trump loves his strongarm dictators such as Putin, Kim, Duerte, etc. he has on many occasion stated he respects these men.

If anything, it is more a curiosity by everyone at the games....you know as this is a pretty rare occurrence to get a peep inside the regime

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

I don’t see how having both sides insist on pushing for war does us any good. I’m glad she was there, not because the US has any good faith notions of diplomacy, but because SK is the country actively trying to keep this pissing match from destroying their country and it’s citizens.

I’m not fawning over her, but there has been some major ground made up on SK/NK relations while our media continues to be completely useless.

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Funny, the libs call Trump a deranged dictator, compare his daughter to her, implying Trump is as bad as KJU, yet you have the Vice President standing next to her during the Olympics. Perhaps Trump isn't the war monger libs are claiming. Pence said he wants dialogue with NK. They glorify a sister of a brutal dictator, while bashing Trump, as Pence stands next to her in unity.

[​IMG]

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

You are kidding right? You make it sound like Pence was by her on purpose. Did you not even notice the fact that he didn't once acknowledge her? Talk about spinning the truth

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

In unity? Do you really have no idea what purpose he served there (the short version is absolutely none)?

He shook every persons hand in the room BUT her. Get out of here with this “unity” crap.
    https://consortiumnews.com/2018/02/09/u-s-misses-opportunity-for-korean-peace-at-olympics/

7. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Heaping praise on them when all theyve done recently is test nuclear weapons, missiles, and kill their own people for attempting to escape the ******** country doesn't strike me as a good way to get them to behave better in the future. Libs have been down this road before, give them an inch and they will take it and ask for a mile.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Her brother literally murders people for fun, starves people and sends them off to their death in camps, can't say I blame Pence.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Do you not realize she's most likely imprisoned to NK too, and her brother is not beyond killing her or sending her to a labor camp?

9. 0007776 Suspended

And while Trump continuously makes the US irrelevant and tries to get a ton of people killed on the Korean peninsula the Korea will move on without us, and if anything comes of this it will not be on terms that the US would like.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Counter-point:

BuzzFeed: "PSA: Kim Jong Un's Sister Is Not Your New Fave Shade Queen. She's A Garbage Monster."

RealClearPolitics: "Kim Jong Un's Sister Is a Garbage Monster."

The Atlantic: "The Fetishization of Kim Yo Jong."

The NYT has an article noting that South Koreans appear to like Kim Yo Jong: "If Mr. Kim sent his sister to the Olympics to mount a “charm offensive,” as United States officials feared, she did her job. Her visit was still getting warm reviews in the South on Monday."

But, this is how journalism works.

You report on what's happening—South Koreans like the dictator's sister—rather than what you wish were to happen—Mike Pence's steely gaze breaks stalemate, North Korea agrees that the Silver Fox should run the country.

That said, CNN wuff'd this entirely, but that's pretty much their MO at this point. And, Motoko Rich's writing style is too much, and often drives me up the wall. "Sphinx-like"—blargh!

The Washington Post has an equally dippy story, but apparently the "love affair" lasted as long as a fruit-fly bang session, and other outlets are already hitting her for being a "garbage monster."

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Funny how NT was replying to the absurdity of your fellow GOPer.....man you guys will argue all sides of things, even if they are directly contradictory won’t ya?

I mean it’s a fitting trend with the GOP to say one thing and do another these days

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yep. Pence is simultaneously a great diplomat for standing there, and resolute for refusing to shake her hand or speak to her.

But, diplomacy can often be about signs and symbols. The real question is what kind of diplomacy maneuvering is happening out-of-sight. And, is the Trump administration's recalcitrance helping to push the Koreas together?

SK- "That guy Pence is a prick."
    NK - "Yeah, what a dick. It's like sitting next to an anthropomorphic cigarette."
    SK - "I'd kill for a cigarette."
    NK - "Got a light."

And, peace and unity forms from their mutual hatred of impossibly stern GI Joe.

13. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

And I’m happy he didn’t. She doesn’t deserve an ounce of respect.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No shock, they were cool with Castro and romanticize other dictators. Shocked they aren’t making fun of here receding hair line.

15. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Honestly, it kind of seems like that’s what Moon’s administration is doing, and if it means lessening tensions while this cartoonishly craven administration is in office here I think it’s a brilliant strategy in protecting SK.

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Esquire's Charlie Pierce nails it.

Worth noting that one of the guys humping this line about the media and North Korea once shilled for the humanitarian regime in Malaysia.

18. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

What NK is doing at the Olympics is all for show. Did the media already forget about the massive military parade in Pyongyang on the eve of the just-opened Pyeongchang Games? For what reason? NK can give 2 s**** about SK and SK knows it.

4FCBA1DC-12DB-4B33-8126-8E48F0C81AD4.jpeg

it's dangerous for the media to praise her and declare that North Korea is "winning the Olympics," "stealing the show" or taking the "diplomatic gold" without giving any context.
    - Joe Concha

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I wasn't aware the "liberal media" was standing next to her.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

That's because Mother is right there with him.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And Reagan was buddy buddy with Pol Pot.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm curious about how far the aura of "guilt by association" extends?

I'm more than willing to concede that Kim Jong-Un is a tyrannical, homicidal dictator. (He reportedly had one of his uncles executed with a machine gun.)

But does that mean we must also detest and condemn his family members, including a sister who - for all we know - may be just as much a victim of Kim's tyranny as millions of her fellow countrymen.

There is little doubt that Donald Trump is a dreadful President of the United States, culpable for many shameful acts. But I'm unwilling to hold his son Barron or his wife Melania responsible for Donald's misdeeds. If Melania Trump shows up at an art gallery or a Broadway show opening wearing a stylish outfit and an enigmatic smile - I won't hold the New York Time's fashion critic responsible for endorsing President Trump's racist Tweets or reckless tax proposals.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Maybe this is the time for everyone to take a deep breath. There are a lot of ass****s out there. Comparing them doesn't make any of them less culpable. It's simple in my mind - I hate bullies and dicks - Trump is one - so are Kim, Duterte, etc. I don't like any of them...this isn't Political Science, it's common sense...

24. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Means to an end.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And the Democratic Party would say the same about Castro. Besides Castro is vastly less bad than Pol Pot.