Why is the resale value of Apple products & iPhones so overlooked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by St. Germain, Oct 10, 2011.

1. St. Germain macrumors 6502

A coworker is trying to sell his HTC EVO 4G which came out in June 2010 and the best price he can currently get for it: $75. I'm selling my 28 month old iPhone 3GS and the best price I can get is about $150.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394179,00.asp#fbid=d2WYR9-ruca

Also, Apple is buying back iPhone 4's for $200, and "eBay is offering $307.54 for 16GB iPhone 4s and $339.14 for 32GB iPhone 4s in excellent condition via eBay Instant Sale."

Think about that though, a 28 month old iPhone is worth TWICE as much as a 16 month old Android phone.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm not sure you're using the right word. Overlooked means that no one notices the resale value of Apple products. My Droid X is worthless for the most part; I paid $300 (subsidized) for it. It was $99 not too long ago and probably free today.

Most people know the resale value of iPhones holds up better than any other phone on the market that I can tell. It's likely that the market is not flooded with iPhones of varying shapes, sizes, and specs. It's almost as though the very thing people bitch about is the very thing that lets you sell your seriously dated tech for $150 today.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I know if eBay is any indication, I will be getting the same amount I paid for my Tbolts. Granted, I got them subsidized ($200 each), but something is something...

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Its not overlooked. You'd have a very hard time getting $150 for an iPhone 3GS. It is simply supply and demand. Supply is plentiful:

The reason why the EVO 4G isn't worth that much is because there are literally half a dozen phones HTC has put out since the EVO (Evo shift, Evo 3D, Desire, G2, Aria, Legend, etc) that are just as good.

Then there are the 2-dozen phones by other competitors.

More choice = more competition = lower prices

5. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

where are you finding the >$300 on ebay? I looked this morning and best price i found for my 32GB in basically perfect condition was $270.

6. ps2pk macrumors newbie

My brother just sold his HTC Evo 4G two days ago for $200 cash. Bought it last year at launch for $125.

I sold my Evo 4G for $250 a couple months back. Bought it used for $250. No money lost.

Not sure why your friend can't even get $150. Must be in horrible shape.

7. billnye97 macrumors regular

I agree. I bought a launch Evo in June of 2010 and was able to get $165 for it. Granted not the value I got for my original iPhone or my 3G when I sold it but good nonetheless and way highter then $75.

8. St. Germain thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? ebay Instant Sale just offered me $140 for mine.

[​IMG]

----------

Where did you sell them? He was looking at what ebay Instant Sale and credible sites like BuyMyTronics were offering.