Why is the VZW iPhone 4S more desirable/more expensive than the sprint/att iphone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Apr 6, 2012.

1. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Why is the VZW iPhone 4S more desirable/more expensive than the sprint/att iphone 4S?

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

since when is the verizon version more expensive?

3. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

The $199, $299, & $399 models are standard across the carriers...

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Think he/she was referring to used ones . . .

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Because people don't like the ability to talk and use 3G data at the same time? It is true that one of the carriers was charging a $50 surplus on phones at one point, but I can't believe Apple let them get away with it.

6. kicko macrumors 65816

I cant speak for the sprint model but for example the AT&T model would fetch more money then the verizon model since it can be unlocked and used on other networks worldwide. Verizon does not and is limited to what network its used, mainly only the USA. I believe sprint is on a different frenquency range less used so that would make it less valuable.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Unless AT&T has changed something, which I don't think they have, they won't unlock any iPhone. Verizon and Sprint will unlock the Sim slot in their 4S's if you ask them, so my guess at to why Verizon ones go for more is the fact that Verizon will unlock it and they have more coverage in the US.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

the only way a AT&T iphone can be unlocked is though jb/il or a sim imposer such as the Gevey AT&T never unlocks them. simple reason is people are willing to pay more for them. it's as simple a what people are willing to pay.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

A more accurate explanation is that people are willing to pay more (based on eBay historical data) for an AT&T iPhone than a Verizon or Sprint model is because it CAN be used on other networks as well as prepaid. The phone doesn't need to be unlocked or jailbroken.

11. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

VZW no contract iphone 4S and USED iphone 4S on craigslist and ebay are more expensive on VZW than att and sprint.
    VZW unlocks the device after 60 days, ATT doesnt unlock nothing..............

12. jdiamond macrumors 6502

There are other reasons people like Verizon...

If Verizon phones are more expensive locally, then it could also be that people just prefer Verizon in that area, especially those getting their first iPhone. Personal experiences may vary, but the general opinion is pretty consistent - AT&T is viewed as having worse customer support than Verizon, more dropped calls, and in certain metros, very poor coverage. (This doesn't mean AT&T has poor coverage everywhere, but it's certainly a general perception.) And as other people commented, Verizon is a lot more flexible in what they let you do with your phone.

It seems like the newest Verizon iPhones (the 4S) seem to also have a SIM card that can be used internationally, but I don't know a lot about that.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

you must be looking at something different I just checked ebay and AT&T iphone 4s are clearly getting more money. and in my area at least the same is true with Craigslist. I do wish AT&T would allow unlocks though!

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

True, until next week

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1354611

And OP maybe you can tell us where you saw that verizon iPhones fetched a higher price?

16. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

Read previous post, saw the verizon model more expensive on ebay and craigslist

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

now that AT&T will be offering unlocking once the contract term is finished they are really going to smoke the competitors. as far as resale goes imo

18. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

How u figure. The prices may just end up even. VZW has the better iphone 4S in my opinion.
    VZW is better because:
    - larger more consisent 3G network
    -VZW has a better throttling policy as they only throttle when folks are connected to a congested tower, once the congestion stops, the throttle stops.
    -VZW has international GSM

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you're buying a used CDMA phone, any model you're taking a risk of it been blacklisted. In that case if the seller on ebay or CL lies and doesnt say it you're stuck with it and cannot use it as phone.
    That's why AT&T used iphones always sell for more than Sprint or Verizon models. Because all one has to do is put in their AT&T sim and they're good to use. AT&T doesnt blacklist them unlike Verizon and Sprint if lost, stolen or account associated on that phone is not in good standing.
    I dont know what you saw on ebay or CL but you need to look harder cause your claim is innacurate. There is no better iphone for verizon, they're both the same exact hardware components for all 3 US carriers.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Everyone knows that Verizon 3G speeds are slower then At&ts.
    The At&t 4S gets faster data speeds then the Verizon 4S
    With an At&t iPhone you can be on a call and surf the web which you can't do with a Verizon iPhone.
    Starting this Sunday people can have their iPhones unlocked and used with any GSM carrier local or international.

So no the Verizon model is not better then At&ts

21. cpuguy18, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012

cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

i had AT&T since the first gen iPhone and then i switched to Verizon when the 4s came out. when i first had AT&T the Service was great then overtime the service got worse i would get 6 dropped calls a day and i couldn't browse the internet and i had a full signal. this happend with my iphone 2G my iPhone 3G my iPhone 3GS and my iPhone 4. Verizon iPhone is better because you can at least make calls on the damn thing.

22. naixed macrumors member

I guess this may be a subjective issue per locale, but here in Los Angeles AT&T can't hold a candle to Verizon's 3G speeds or signal strength.

23. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Verizon has faster 3G. AT&T has HSPA+ which is like 3.5G. The AT&T 4S seems faster because it's connected to the HSPA+ network. Verizon has the fastest 3G network out of all of them.

The Verizon model is better because Verizon is a better carrier (for one they don't false advertise their networks).

That iPhone unlocking is only AFTER your contract is over.

Calling and Surfing the Web at the same time is kinda stupid if you ask me, anyways.

24. Jordan921, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012

Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Oh boohoo. So you lived in an area where At&t was bad and weren't smart enough to learn after the first iPhone that it wasn't gonna get better. It amuses me when someone decides to choose a phone first and provider second. If the service was bad enough for you to drop calls then it is a smart idea to go ahead and switch to a provider that is gonna provide you with better service.

25. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

when i got my first very first phone which was the iPhone 2G service was good then it got worse overtime.