Why is their no looting in Japan?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Mar 16, 2011.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This has been a pretty big question as of late...

Why has there been no looting in Japan (ala New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina)

why is there no looting in japan

I think this may go a long way in explaining it.

[​IMG]

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Most Japanese have a good, firm upbringing from their parents and teachers. Discipline.
    It's a shame to display fear in public.

3. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I agree that culture plays a part as well.

But seeing as your from Norway, who is also on the good end of that chart, what are your thoughts on the possibility of mass looting there I wonder?

4. torbjoern, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Most people wouldn't steal food here, but if violent hoarding can be considered 'looting', then I would say the possibility is high under similar circumstances. By 'violent hoarding' I mean disrespecting one-per-customer policies and cutting in lines whilst armed with a shotgun. People here are easily freaked out by the crisis-loving media (don't get me started about the swine flu in 2009), and we have very liberal laws on firearms compared to the rest of Europe.

5. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

That sounds pretty minor compared to the US. Might I suggest a visit to LA, Chacago, NYC or large southern city so you can get a sense what goes on here?

6. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I do have a sense of what's going on there.

Norway is a small country with only 5M citizens in the whole country (600K in the capital city). The land area is about the same size as the state of California. Most phenomenons would seem minor compared to the US. But I guess the fact that almost anyone can afford to buy food for an entire month or two in advance if necessary, makes mass looting Chicago-style far less likely.

7. Big-TDI-Guy, Mar 16, 2011

Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That chart simply proves that USA is #1!!! :mad:

I believe that culture has quite a bit to do with it - in American everyone is the most important person alive - we were raised that way. (you all get to be astronauts if you truly want to be) After all, we're all individual little snowflakes (just like everyone else).

Japan - their culture raises people in the belief to serve the greater good - and you're not an individual snowflake - but a key part of the higher order. Hence self sacrifice (Kamikaze pilots), ritual suicide when failures were encountered and utterly insane (by Western standards) work ethic.

So I'd factor in culture, decent health and economic equality, and sprinkle with very little ethnic diversity. Hey, it's ugly - but pointed out before (by the very bold or very stupid) - the less different you are from your neighbors, the more likely you are to get along with them.

Edit: I remember one story from when I was little - people from Japan visited my school to share their culture to those in my class. One of the stories they told us (occurred in the 80s) was of a man who snapped (pressure at work) and went to a bank and withdrew all of his savings. He then began to literally dump his money in the streets of Tokyo. People there realized something was wrong, and collected the money - called the police for help. The man was taken to a hospital - and all of his money was returned to him thereafter. I was all of 9 years old and completely blown away by the possibility that could happen. Obviously, as I remember this story many years later...

8. awmazz, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  9. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Colds and flus are caused by bacterias and virii, not only by temperature. I'm used to -15 to -20 Celsius (0 Fahrenheit) in winter but I don't even have a cold every winter. Besides, there is good public healthcare in those countries. Food is also cheap (compared to income level) in Finland and Sweden, and that includes healthy food.

10. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The countries with lower health problems have cheap, affordable access to quality healthcare.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why is there no looting in Japan? They have a culture that is superior to ours.

Exceptionalism, if you prefer. ;)

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I believe that most – if not all – of the prefectures are named after their capital, so using the term helps define the difference between the city and its surrounding area.

13. awmazz, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  14. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Whether or not the UK has quality healthcare is up for debate. But what it does have is low cost and access.

In my personal experience, and according to WHO rankings, France has the best healthcare in the world.

Japan is ranked #10 according to the world health organization.

The US is ranked #37 :eek: Most of that has to do with poor access. The wealthy get the best care, arguably in the world. Sucks for the bottom 95% though.

15. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

16. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

im not in japan so i cannot say what is going on there. i can speculate or make assumptions but i cannot rule out anything.

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It costs about the same in Norway as in Australia, but the wage level is higher in Norway than in most other countries.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Japanese are very law abiding. They don't even jaywalk.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Only tangentially related to our different cultures, but this does fit better here than anywhere else.

I was driving somewhere the other day, and I heard this in a radio commercial:

I got very dark. And thought, "No, ugly brown spots on your hands do not feel like the end of the world. You know what feels like the end of the world?

"An earthquake followed by a tsunami followed by a nuclear meltdown. That's what feels like the end of the world!"

****in' morons. :mad:

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Japanese have a very high social contract. They live and work in tight quarters so they follow the rules as to not offend anyone. It's part of their culture. I don't see the connection with this and healthcare.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

:D Sort of off topic but just a few days ago I found myself amused by "jaywalking" in front of some cops in Canary Wharf, knowing that in Los Angeles I most certainly would have been ticketed for that. Small novelties!

On topic, I was surprised and yet not about the lack of looting. Japan just seems to show more solidarity in a crisis than what I am accustomed to. Natural disasters and riots bring out the worst in people, from what I witnessed living in L.A. "oooh, everything is destroyed... lets steal a TV!" :rolleyes: Repulsive behaviour.

22. fivepoint, Mar 16, 2011

fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

#1 - Culture
    #2 - Relative wealth of country and self-reliance of citizens as a whole (however, they are WAY in debt, worse even than the U.S.)
    #3 - They just experienced a catastrophe so horrific, it's brining the people together, not apart. Similar to how 9/11 did in America.
    #4 - Disaster zone is in very specific areas, and everything in those areas is essentially completely destroyed. Several blocks away, things are relatively untouched.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Simple. They don't have Republicans. They actually give a **** about each other and come together to help each other. In the US- it's every man for himself. Just ask a Libertarian.

You know what companies do when they're having trouble in Japan? They all take a pay cut- even the CEOs. They work TOGETHER as a team. Amazing what that can do for a society.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

BAWWWWWWWWW!

:rolleyes:

25. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg