Why is there a "Verizon" and AT&T iPhone SE at Best Buy if they are the same phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sampple, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Sampple macrumors member

Seems like a ton of people looking for ATT iPhone SE at Best Biy leave empty handed becaus they are out of stock... when the Verizon one is sitting right there in the exact color and GB they want...
    So why mark them differently?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Well the AT&T one is locked to AT&T. Verizon one isn't so theoretically you couldn't get a AT&T iPhone for Verizon unless it's unlocked. Verizon one is so in theory they could but perhaps a legal reason why?

3. 617aircav Suspended

I'm guessing Verizon would want it's own phone, as well as att. Besides the Verizon phone comes with a Verizon sim and att with att sim.

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Because of my Verizon unlimited data plan and the Best Buy upgrade method I've used the same sim for over 3 years lol

5. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

It is called marketing and branding. The average customer does not know the difference between a SIM-free iPhone and a carrier branded iPhone with a preinstalled Nano-SIM. Hey most customers don't even care to know even 10% of what is discussed here in the forums.

Once the average customer buys a phone on a carrier they just assume that it only works or works best on that carrier. The carriers like it this way as it helps them reduce or limit customer "Churn rates". A key measurement in the business.

Dave

6. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

The carriers are buying phones from Apple and selling them to dealers like Best Buy to give to customers. Im sure Verizon doesn't want phones they paid for going to ATT

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No, the carriers don't buy the iPhones and sell them to dealers or retailers like Best Buy. Best Buy orders directly from Apple just like the carriers. Best Buy is paid by the carriers based on activations, just like dealers are paid for activations on a given carrier. :)

Dave

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Probably so they don't have to spend time explaining that to people. It's just easier for people to think one carrier, one phone.

9. nox5, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

nox5 macrumors 6502

It all abut IMEI numbers and carrier's databases of those IMEIs. iPhones are identical work the same on both carriers. SIM card inside is the one difference. Verizon is unlocked and att too if you pay full price and request instant unlock on att website. One day maybe all people will start to buy sim free iPhones and pay full price then carriers may eliminate the branding. But it's highly unlikely. Or maybe there will be law that requires carriers to finance sim free IPhone and ban any locking of any cellphone to particular carrier and finally all iPhones will be sim free only.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe ATT's phone is locked (though if you meet certain criteria with ATT you can get them to unlock it).

Because of an agreement with the government when VZW was buying bandwidth, they have to unlock the LTE bands.

11. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

The AT&T one gets an extra channel that the Verizon does not.

So they're not 100% interchangeable.

12. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

This is no longer true for recent versions of the iPhone. For example for the iPhone 5S/5C, 6/6+, 6S/6S+ and the iPhone SE: the AT&T version and the Verizon version have the same LTE Bands. :oops:

source: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Dave

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not with the SE, or the 6S at least. The AT&T version is the same as the Verizon one. My guess as to why they have seep rate ones has to do with their contracts with the cell carriers. Verizon doesn't want to lose out on new customers because the first people to the store bought them all up as AT&T phones, and AT&T feels the same way about Verizon. Most likely you could buy them full price without a contract and use it on either carrier, but most people use financing which means you are stuck with a phone intended for the carrier you use.

14. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

But going by the URL provided, you can see that not all channels on the AT&T are on the Verizon.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

For the SE? Seems like the same model (with the same channels) is listed for both AT&T and Verizon.

16. avanpelt macrumors 68020

It looks like the SE doesn't support band 30 at all. I didn't realize that until just now. I wonder why Apple made that decision? The SE must use the same cellular radio that's in the 6 and 6+ or even the 5s.

17. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

First they are still 100% interchangeable, this thread is concerning the iPhone SE if you need a reminder. :eek:

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Apr 13, 2016 ---
    Correct, the lack of band 30 support for the iPhone SE was covered in the Apple announcement. No, they did not call out band 30 but in listing the features there was mention that the iPhone SE did not support the highest LTE speeds.

Here is the thread where we discussed band 30 and the iPhone SE: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/no-lte-band-30-on-iphone-se.1963918/

Here is my post on band 30:

18. bufffilm, Apr 13, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

And I'm telling that they're not.

Go to the section for the SE and compare the two models for yourself. Not the same channels are on both phones.

Doesn't anyone know how to read anymore?

PS. Neither are the 6s/6s+ interchangeable

19. rigormortis, Apr 13, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

when you buy an iPhone, and picking a carrier.not only does it come with that carrier's sim card, but it is put in a book of imei numbers that belong to that carrier. in order to activate a sim card for a new line of service, the iPhone must be in their book. if it is not in their book of iPhones they will not sell you service.

the iPhone 6 was sold for " AT&T / Verizon and T-mobile " and "AT&T Verizon T-mobile and sprint" if you bought the unlocked version like i did on launch day, you had to wait about 60 days for the imei number to be added to the phone companies book. Verizon took 1 year before they white listed all unlocked iPhone 6 and 6+ phones on august of 2015, prior to this date the phone worked on verizon, but only if you used a pulled pre-activated sim card from another phone.

here is an old post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/3gw0kw/psa_verizon_just_whitelisted_the_iphone_6_and_6/?

the 6s and 6s+ is being sold now as "Verizon Sprint T-Mobile " and " AT&T " , the AT&T has 1 extra band. AT&T will not sell you a sim card online if you have the wrong model. they treat it like a black listed phone. i know this because i had a blacklisted amazon fire phone that i got from eBay, and i hit the same wall when i called them on the error i was receiving.

when i purchased my 6s+ , sprint told me my iPhone was not one of their devices, despite it being one, on september 27 2015. i had to wait until November 17 2015 , for it to be listed as compatible

on the same day september 27 2015, Verizon also told me my iPhone would not work, and they could not guarantee it.

for a while there, i wanted to return it for the sim free version, but i couldn't get one in stock by the return date on the receipt

from my experience if you buy the unlocked phone ( T-Mobile ) , it will eventually be white listed. ( with the exception of iPhone 6 on sprint they continue to want bands 38,39,40,41 or whatever )

if you buy the "sim free one" then i think it is white listed out of the box

this year apple changed the LTE page and now says "sim free" contains all the bands and carriers from the other phone

it looks to me when iPhones are sold , there is a 70 day waiting period for " carrier exclusivity " where the phone carriers refuse to activate each other's handsets

the only real difference between ' unlocked ' and ' sim free ' is the imei device list that the carriers have.
    it was about 90 days between ' unlocked ' and ' sim free ' on the 6
    looking at the iPhone lte page. if you buy A1662 and unlock it . sprint will probably not sell you service.

20. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Yes I did since I posted it and both of the versions discussed in this thread as listed in the thread title: "Why is there a "Verizon" and AT&T iPhone SE at Best Buy if they are the same phone?"

A Verizon iPhone SE and an AT&T iPhone SE have exactly the same LTE bands! They are both listed as the iPhone SE Model A1662. :eek::rolleyes:

Sorry but you are the one that is having trouble reading today, it appears that you are confusing the A1662 with the A1723/A1724.

Dave

21. rigormortis, Apr 13, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the lte page says that the 6 includes all the other bands. but there is no such claim for A1662 and a1723
    they are interchangeable. but like i said. AT&T and verizon might not want to activate it for the first 70 days or so, because its not in their book

buy the sim free phone
    have the imei checked for free on all the carriers.
    keep checking carriers once a month until they white list it
    this is a pet peeve of mine. i got really upset at macrumors, 9 to 5 mac, bgr and cult of mac reporting price lists from companies like gazelle with them knocking off $100 of an iPhone 6 because it was sold as "unlocked" and not "verizon" and not realizing , why wait a minute. they are the same exact model, why is there any price difference?

22. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Your statement was a bit confusing because even though this is an SE thread, you precluded it with "6S/6S+" in addition to SE... and the link you provided doesn't support that (for obvious reasons). You may want to remove the other models if you're intending to support the thread topic. As it stands it seems a little unfair to accuse someone of having trouble reading.

23. C DM, Apr 13, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like you aren't replying to the person you think you are replying to.

And that would be aside from you still specifically talking about the SE not being the same, which isn't the case.

24. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

For the SE, there is no difference.

For the 6s/6s+...there is.

Forgot that the SE reuses some old tech.