Why is there bullying?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macbook pro i5, May 11, 2012.

1. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I dont understand it why don't people keep there feelings to themselves?
    Why pick on people? I find it discussing because it still happens to me and the emotional damage is...big.Now personally I think the school teachers NEED to pay attention to children, wether they look sad or hurt to (in some cases) stop suicide
    Suggestions? Opinions?

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Generally the reason the actual bully bullies is self-affirmation due to something ranging from as mildly as low self esteem or severe as borderline personality disorder. They may depict is as doing it to gain peer acceptance or that is is something that is 'fun' or 'cool', but the main reason is that they use it as a drug to feel better than themselves.

Bullying is an absolutely horrible thing. The psychological harm it can cause is extensive, and the extent of this has only been realized in the past several years. Unfortunately, what prompted this realization were a few high-profile suicides that were attributed to bullying. Schools generally do not do enough to protect those being bullied nor do they sufficiently reprimand those who do bully. Some people have even argued that school shootings are evidence of such neglect in that the schools turn a blind eye until it reaches a level of such an extreme.

I've personally found the best way to counter something such as bullying is to use a form of psychological warfare if you will...find what they hold dear and what they are most insecure about, and leech on to it. Since bullies generally do this because of their own insecurities, exploiting these insecurities is usually not all that difficult to do.

3. chrono1081, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Bullying is ridiculous. I used to get bullied in school sometimes (not to near the extent of most stories I hear about) but the scars do last in the forms of low self confidence and self esteem.

Personally I think students who bully should be sent to remedial school, no questions asked. Why make good students suffer because the teachers refuse to control the bad students?

I'll never forget the one time in gym class a kid (who would frequently bully me) threw a basketball at my head so I picked up a medicine ball and beat him in the face with it relentlessly. I do not feel bad to this day because its what he needed in order to stop.

I got in trouble yet the other kid, who was a constant bully was let off the hook. Thats when I realized that teachers just don't care and they see bullying as normal behavior.

4. VenusianSky, May 11, 2012

VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

The magnitude of this question is far great than what most people realize. First, bullying is not just a childhood thing. There is just as much bullying by adults. What I mean by this is that bullying exists because everyone's minds work differently. It is really what it comes down to and there is little we can do at this point to change the billions of people's minds.

As for children, we look to the teachers for help in schools, but teachers are regular people with regular problems and imperfections just like everyone else. Sometimes the situation is made worse by going to the teachers. Sometimes teachers can help, but should we rely on them?

I think one thing that can be helpful is the Internet. There are many people online that understand what it is to be bullied and are eager to support others. I feel that when people share their stories with others, and how they overcame bullying, it can really help others. It is just that simple feeling that someone else cares. It will not always work for everyone, but maybe it has better odds than other methods. Reason being is that the Internet provides a large "audience" and there are probably sites dedicated to people sharing stories of bullying.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Bullying has been around for generations, it is taking a new form with the internet and social networks.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This is definitely the truth. With social media, there are more ways to bully someone.

7. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

There may be more ways but they really shouldn't be utilized should they now?

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Definitely not...and I think it's partly a reason why we're hearing so much about bullying now. Instead of a "he said" - "she said", we have proof on websites, texts, etc....

This is where parents have to come in and take responsibility...they should know what their kids are doing online and what they are doing on their cell phones.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Whats sad is many parents of the bully just don't care.

This is where I think suing the parents to teach them to handle their kid is a good idea*.

*I'm generally against suing but if it comes to protecting my kid, and the school takes no action and the bullies parents take no action you better believe I'd sue the school and parents of the bully.

10. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I was bullied through most of my school career until I hit puberty and learned to defend myself. Then I started beating the crap out of my bullies and it eventually stopped. I even started defending other kids getting picked on because I found it beyond unacceptable. Started making friends with big guys and sort of started an anti-bully posse around campus. I've been abused my whole life and feel the utmost sympathy for kids or even adults being bullied. It gets harder to deal with it as adults as there is a lot more involved in the matter, but as kids it should definitely be dealt with more seriously. School should be a safe place for learning and growing, not living in fear every day of your life.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Bolded for truth.

12. kavika411, May 11, 2012

kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Because of Darwinism.

Apologies to creationists.

13. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Adults bully as well. It might be their coworker, or immigrants, or poor people, but there's always someone who is bullied.

That's because society is twisted.

14. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Have you read "Brave New World" The world controllers are meant to make society "stable"

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, much like Darth Vader.

16. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

So docile teenagers have an opportunity to snap and relieve some stress...

17. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The schools here take bulling very seriously, but it does happen. Mostly now out of school hours, and with use of the social media.

This new type of cyber bullying mainly goes on without any adult knowing any problem is taking place. :(

It is one of the new worries that parents have, how far to go in controlling you child's use of the internet. :confused:

18. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Whilst there are human beings, bullying will exist....Everybody picks on the little guy...You even see it in the ads on TV..re-inforcement I'm afraid.

19. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

There will always be bullying as long as the very majority of bystanders either directly or indirectly support the bullies.

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The strong will always pick n the weak.

This applies to countries as well....

There is no Nirvana on Earth.

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Knocking someone down makes some people feel better about themselves. Why do you think so many post on threads are just mean spirited? Someone had a bad day, knows more about an apple product and comes on here to feel smarter then someone else. Now even the very weak can bully cause they do it without fear of getting smacked in the face afterwards....

22. TSE macrumors 68030

This is totally throwing it out there and I am not sure that it could be real. Just seeing what you guys think.

Natural Selection?

Think of it. Take a room of 100 kids with the same ethnicity, same basic cultural heritage, etc. People who get bullied the most are fat kids, kids with acne, scrawny kids, etc. aka has worse genes (I had terrible acne in high school and did everything I could, finally just gave up and let time pass, just accepted I have poor skin genes). Another group that would get bullied are gays, who do not help reproduction. We are still very much like animals in some ways.

There are groups of monkeys that shun unhealthy or genetically deformed monkeys, leaving them to die.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No.

Natural Selection is the process where desirable genetic traits are favored in the reproduction process (hopefully not something that is occurring at boys boarding schools), thereby making them more common in subsequent generations.

It is axiomatic of any natural system that diversity makes the overall population stronger. Just as a lack of genetic diversity in the Irish potato crop in the middle 19th century made the entire crop vulnerable to the blight, so to can a human population that is overly homogeneous lack the necessary skills to overcome challenges. One reason, IMHO, that the United States has achieved the prominence that is has is that it is made up of people from every culture and continent on earth. We've literally taken the best in art, science, business, and culture from around the world, mixed it up, and made it our own. Without diversity (and the tolerance of those that are different) Americans would still be eating pease pudding in wooden shacks in Massachusetts .

Bullying, of the form practiced by young Willard Romney, is the antithesis of a healthy respect and understanding for the differences that make us, as a human family, great.

24. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ridiculous. Hate is a learned behavior.

25. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc