Why is there no antenna bridging issue at the top of the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zed, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zed macrumors 6502

Maybe someone has explained this before, but I do not understand why the signal decreases when the two antennas are bridged at the lower left of the phone but the same does not happen when they are bridged at the top of the phone.

If you look at the image that is currently on the macrumors homepage, it seems like pressing your finger against the top (where the two antennas meet) would cause the same problem, but it does not not. At least, it does not do this on my phone.

Just curious.

2. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I've been wondering that too.
    Maybe you are bridging something differently at the bottom. I'm not sure how it entannas work on the iPhone, but is one end the 'start' and one end the 'end' maybe you are bridging the 'start' with the 'start' or the 'end' with the 'end'
    but if that was the case they could swap one of the antennas around so it went 'end'to'start' 'end'to'start' to elimenate problems.

Reading over my post I realize it makes no sense. Oh well.

3. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

end*end
    .| P. |
    .| H. |
    .| O. |
    .| N. |
    .| E. |
    start#start

#=where we are bridging
    *=where we can bridge to no effect
    |= antenna
    end=the end out the antenna, as is the top of it, the furthest from where the component is that the signal is being brought to
    start=the opposite of hat is stated above
    (end and start can be swapped around ad I'm not sure which side is closest to the component)

end*start
    .| P. |
    .| H. |
    .| O. |
    .| N. |
    .| E. |
    end*start

Just trying to explain my post above as it's annoying me that it makes no sense, again I stress I have no idea how the iPhones 4 antenna works and it may not have an end or a start.

4. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've been confused about this as well - the exact positions of the antennas seem to contradict Steve's diagram of a wrap-around antenna system. Wouldnt the entire bottom piece be susceptible when holding?

5. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I think that top gap is for WiFi as when I cover it, my WiFi goes down.

6. zed thread starter macrumors 6502

Hrm, my wifi does not budge when bridging across the top of the phone. Might be because I'm sitting about 10 feet from my airport extreme though.

7. zed thread starter macrumors 6502

I think the little notch on the right side is purely decorative (to make it match the notch on the left) If you look at the diagram, the right side antenna continues all the way around the bottom, but it has a little indention near the lower right. I think it is just cosmetic. Not sure if that answers your question or not though.

Oh and.. Apple-NoEscape, I love your diagram. :)

8. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

I agree, the image steve showed you can see its bridged behind the "gap".

I think it was just done to match the other size and even things out, kinda makes me wonder why they didn't do the same kind of thing at the top of the phone but they really couldn't because of the hold button.