Why is there no app that allows sending SMS typed on a Mac via iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by illjazz, May 29, 2010.

1. illjazz macrumors regular

I've always wondered about this. Years and years ago, I could do this with my Sony Ericsson that I had at the time. I guess this has to do with SDK restrictions, but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

What I do currently is this: I type out a text in Notational Velocity/Justnotes. The text is immediately beamed into the cloud to Simplenote. I open the Simplenote app on my iPhone, copy the text I typed on my MBP, then paste it into the Messages app and send.

That's a lot of steps...

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I don't know for sure but I could has at a guess that the feature is not included within the iPhone SDK.

3. kodek macrumors member

One of the new features of iPhone OS 4.0 is the in-app SMS API. This would theoretically let a developer make an app that would connect to your computer via wifi, and once one is done typing the message, it would automatically send it to the messages app. I don't think it would be that hard to make either.

4. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

Another option is if you use M$ outlook, in the notes you can right it there then sync it to your notes on app the copy/ paste from there.

5. illjazz thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot about that koded.. well, awesome. This means that I might have the app I'm looking for within weeks from today, assuming that OS 4 will be dropped in the first half of June. In other words, soon:

Meanwhile, what superxero suggested seems perfect. And pardon my noobishness here, but I have no idea how to get that to run on my MBP.

cytoxyn.. that's another way, but I much prefer my method. Notational Velocity and Justnotes are very light weight and quickly accessible, and the Simplenote app is just excellent.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

this treasonsms is interesting. kinda slow tho and doesnt work on the ipad which is my main reason for something like this. lets hope the author comes up with an ipad app as well.

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Lazy Text is another option. It sends it over wifi.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

it just copies to the clip board over wifi. you still gotta paste it into the sms app.

9. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Yes. Just like the other two options listed above. Because apple doesn't allow access to that in the sdk (also already mentioned above).

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

ya, it'd be nice to have an SMS/MMS emulator on my mbp kinda like the way the sdk let's you build apps and test. been wanting this since the 3g.

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

12. nonamelive macrumors member

nonamelive

Lazy Text 1.5 will support sending SMS directly from the app. I'm waiting for Apple to approve it. :D

Here is a demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJVEXZAjrs

13. neu macrumors newbie