Why is there no official Apple car charger for the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by arrowtree, Dec 3, 2013.

1. arrowtree macrumors member

why is there no official Apple car charger for the MBA? (or any other Apple notebook?)

thanks!

2. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Isn't it too little juice to charge a laptop?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

while you can buy chargers for phones, I suspect the laptops take too much power for the car adapters.

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

The way to do this is to get an auto AC inverter. Here's one

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-PV...id=1386092140&sr=8-6&keywords=car+ac+inverter

I have an Coleman-branded unit that's maybe 6-7 years old that still works fine. It lives in the trunk, rarely comes out, but I know it's there.

There are one-piece inverters that plug directly into the cigarette lighter socket, but I don't recommend these units as they are rather bulky, making them a difficult fit in the tight confines of most autos. Also, there's probably some weight strain on the stem that plugs into the lighter socket, something that can be easily avoided by using a corded model.

Another benefit to using an AC inverter with normal socket(s) is that they are naturally compatible with a wide range of powered devices. A dedicated computer charger won't work with anything else, which makes it a rather poor purchase.

For this latter reason, I refuse to buy any car charger for iPhones with a built-in cord. The dual port USB car chargers are the way to go, with at least one of the ports supporting 2.1A power (for iPads, etc.). Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-2-Port...86092498&sr=8-7&keywords=ipad+usb+car+charger

Again, this can be used for a wide variety of devices that charge via USB. Dedicated iPhone car chargers are useless for other devices.

5. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

There is, or at least there used to be. I was just using mine during a 15 hour road trip yesterday. It is the same as the airplane "charger". In fact, it will maintain a charge but will not actually charge the MBA. Works well in that regard. Check in the Apple Store...

6. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

45 watts at 12 volts is only 3.75 amps. The socket in my car is marked with a 15 amp maximum.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for a power inverter. You can get them for pretty cheap (Around $50).