Why is there still no iPhone 4S jailbreak? Droid RAZR is already rooted on day 1!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by b24pgg, Nov 11, 2011.

1. b24pgg, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

Just saw this. I can't believe the iPhone 4S has been out for over two months and there is still no true untethered jailbreak. What's the hold up?

For all the complaining iPhone fans do about Android fragmentation, Android rooting seems to be a much more standard process than iPhone jailbreaking.

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

do it yourself then, stop complaining and do your research

3. P4r4doX macrumors newbie

P4r4doX

I think root Android is much simply as jailbreak iOS (becouse Android is pretty much opened, and open source)

4. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Go get a Razr then. This is just how the game goes in Appleland. And as stated above, figure it out yourself if you don't want to wait.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I know right?? you have been working so HARD on it, and still no release? what happen???

6. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Nobody has to come out with anything! People who are working on a JB for us are doing us a favor. You should respect that and wait patiently. If iOS was easy to JB then we would have seen one come out already.

7. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Because Apple makes it a heck of a lot harder to jailbreak than other manufacturers/google make it to root.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

From what I understand, rooting is an exploit-based process like jailbreaking (that is, it relies on a flaw in the system software that can be used to override the phone OS's security protocols). It's a tight line -- whether you jailbreak / root or not, you want a secure phone. So you don't want too many of these loopholes.

In an ideal world Google and Apple would be doing the rooting of their devices for users who wanted the additional flexibility, and no open exploits would be required. Not going to happen, of course. :(

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

want a wallypop to help in these difficult times

10. navigates macrumors 6502a

Easy with the sarcasism guys. The OP has brought up a point which in my opinion is fairly justified. He has positioned his question naively though but if you read between the lines; there is a point to be made here.

Dev Team and the other so called iPhone developers have exploits ready. It’s a game they like to play as they are indeed talented to keep all of us holding. Most of us including myself do not have the knowledge as to how they do it which is why we have to wait.

If you think about it, what is so different with the Gevey sim. They came up with the hardware unlock SIM which costs about 10-15usd. If the Sim can have an unlock then whats the hold up with the soft unlock. Its all a $ game. Why would you give out something for free when a good sum of money can be made with a flimsy hardware. You never know Gevey might just be a brain child of someone well known.

A natural soft unlock has not been out in a long time. The last software unlock was during the initial iPhone 4. When the iPhone came out in the early days, it was more like Microsoft Windows. The whole community was into it trying to jailbreak and make it work. Now it just seems like the big boys have lost their drive and there aren’t more talented folks to take it forward.

Don’t you agree?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What are you doing here then, go and get your Droid RAZR.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is were i stop reading...you can't say that the question is justified when he is comparing a "OPEN" system with a "CLOSE", Android is a open source OS, there are even manufacture tool to root the device, it is based a Linux and most hackers are complexly familiar and make a living out of it. iOS is completely close, while is does have roots on BSD unix it is not unix or linux or OSX for that matter, the Mobile layer of iOS is very differently. Communication protocol on the DRIOD are standards, on iOS they are proprietary, serial communication are hardware authenticated. .. and so much more, if you or the OP don't get it by now, then do as we say...just give it a try and you will find your answer.

13. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

As Yoda says,

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

14. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    Love it!

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I suggest you trying to come out with your own jailbreak then if you think it is so easy.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

you need to learn the difference between a open os and a closed os.even with a a jailbreak Apples OS is still closed compared to Androids OS. But that also translates to a much more secure OS.

17. Synergie macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm this statement go me thinking... is there any documentation on the subject that someone could learn it? I'd be willing to learn over time, but I have absolutely no recent coding experience (last programming I did was in High school and was Pascal and a touch of visual basic LOL) which means I probably am not the best person to try and learn. How do they even begin to access the file system to look for exploits in the first place? Is there reading material anywhere on how to start learning this stuff? I wouldn't know where to begin (or anyone else for that matter)!

18. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

synergie the first place to start learning is the iphonewiki once you no everything on there you should be good. Good luck :p

19. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Unless you have a Defy, Motorola try there hardest to stop rooting of their phone.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

the 1st place to start learning is Iphonewiki (what the heckl) Modimy has some good forum also many of the hackers are on RSS chat musclenerd and most of the Dev-team are there also Ih8sn0w etc. are there. they can be very helpful but I wouldn't ask dumb questions. Iphonewiki is certainly not the best source. must be I support Wiki month!

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Android has a lot more hackers then IOS. Don't see why fail to bring this up when it's true. So phones get rooted quick.

22. moargolems macrumors regular

[​IMG]

23. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Best answer! +1

24. Manzanas macrumors member

Yes very mature.

25. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I'm excited to hear your views on this, you seem to be a great contributor on the forums, and with that added response, i'd love to hear what your thoughts are. ;)