Why is this forum so liberal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Oct 6, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

As we are all well aware, this forum tends to be "liberal." By that, I mean the people who post here tend to support more liberal ideas and candidates. So, I was wondering why that is... Well, who better to ask than the devil himself, right? What do you guys think?

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not sure, I do see the same trend though.

I think it has a lot to do with the "please everyone" ideal and that Macrumors is intended to be a safe place. I don't know though, I could be way out in left field here.... :confused:

3. voxnj macrumors regular

Could there be a general correlation between Apple ownership and intelligence?

By the way, a must read regarding McCain:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/cov...al_john_mccain

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Also look at the general demographic that would use the internet, especially participate in a technology forum. It's generally younger people, who have historically tended to be the more liberal side of society.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I dont think it is. I just think the liberals a just more informed and better debaters here.

6. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

No pun intended. ;)

7. pointycollars macrumors regular

Ah, but now you're insinuating a correlation between intelligence and liberalism :)

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

To us in the uk both parties are considered to the right, america is a very up tight conservative nation relatively speaking.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

We took a survey of over 1,600 people a couple weeks back on my blog (about a separate issue) but incidentally asked if readers were Obama supporters. Mac users were significantly more likely to support Obama than non-Mac users.

I have no idea why that's true.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think there is an even number of users just that more liberals post in the PRSI.

11. pointycollars macrumors regular

I'm not so sure. I'd agree with the statement that Mac users tend to be more liberal by a very wide margin - at least the ones I've known (and that's quite a few), though I don't have those kind of statistics to back it up.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think you underestimating the impact of foreign users who by definition will be more on the obama "side" (more like republicans light to me)

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Very true. One just happens to be more conservative than the other.

This ended up being the case when I lived in Australia, and that was 10 years ago. Glad to know that it isn't just a far-fetched perception I had when I looked at my country from outside of it.

BL.

14. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes, none at all.... ;)

15. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Good thing the "left-wing" is basically non-existent in the US.

16. pointycollars macrumors regular

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone outside the US actually liking McCain or Palin. Especially Palin - the woman who thought the only reason a US citizen would have a passport is if their parents got them one and sent them backpacking when they were 18. :p

17. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

And seems to be getting more and more uptight every 4 years...

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

It's simple really.

If you looked at threads here to determine the quality of Apple hardware you'd come to the conclusion that Apple's quality control sucks and that they can't build a working computer to save their life.

Internet forums tend to exaggerate the complaints. Plain and simple.

I wasn't around prior to 2000 but have heard from many how the board used to be more right leaning and anti-Clinton. Simply enough it's because those who think the current leaders are doing a good job aren't likely to come to the internet to post about how well things are going, we usually like to rant, currently the administration is GOP and Congress was GOP for 6 of the last 8 years and has been in GOP control since the 1994 midterms.

Just like hardware, people will complain loudly and frequently when stuff doesn't work, but those who are content aren't nearly as vocal about their positive experiences.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Ever notice how notice how the higher our 'uptightedness' gets, our common sense drops? ;)

BL.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The core politics of the US have not changed really in 200 years. We are still basically a puritan government.

21. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

of course you could also just as easily say those of a more liberal disposition have more time to debate ad nauseam on a computer forum.

22. aethelbert macrumors 601

Aye, so is America still that bright beacon and city on a hill that Winthrop so strongly advocated?

23. pointycollars macrumors regular

No it's definitely changed. We were much more liberal-minded in 1776.

24. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Are you kidding?? That beacon became the "Eye of Sauron" in 2004. :(

25. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You mean someone said that before Reagan? :D:D

What's next, are you gonna tell me someone else said "Go out and win just one for the Gipper"? :p