Why is Trump going after Angela Merkel?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Aug 25, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's odd that he'd insult the leader of a long-time ally.

IMO, it's an egregious diplomatic error.

What in the world was he thinking? Who does that possibly benefit?

2. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

If Trump thought like that, he wouldn't be Trump. Trump is so obviously a male chauvinist pig that it is easy to forget that he really, seriously, doesn't think older/less-attractive-to-Trump women should be in power/visible/heard.

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well let's see. He said it in Youngstown. So... anti-immigration, job loss.

Somebody cheers at the rally when he says it, he's happy. So it benefits Trump.

Meanwhile it sends White House staffers to phones, lights up the embassy hotlines, etc.

Tea and cookies tomorrow to soothe nerves in Bonn. Send the bill to Trump Tower, I say.

4. zin Suspended

The answer seems to be in the quote and article that you posted. She really did mess up this migrant issue. Inviting migrants to Germany and claiming there is 'no limit' was the wrong policy, made worse by the fact that last year they couldn't account for 600,000 of them.

Note: this comparison he was making relates to the policy of Hillary Clinton, who has proposed a 550% increase in refugees to the United States.

5. Limey77 macrumors regular

He appeals to his base, makes himself sound very anti-immigration and paints Hillary who will welcome Muslim refugees with open arms (and therefore bad for most of his supporters - just look at these forums!)

6. jerwin macrumors 68000

Apparently, it's a shout out to his white supremacist buddies.

Donald Trumps's strange new Attack on Hillary Clinton

7. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay. I get that.

But he is insulting the leader of one of the most powerful nations, and a long time ally. Don't you see that as a mistake diplomatically?

Is this the right way to foster good foreign relations as a new president? (assuming he is elected)

8. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Germany (like many other western European countries) is facing a demographic crisis. One that will inevitably lead to severe economic; political; and social problems.

In very brief terms, Germany has a negative natural population growth. And within twenty to thirty years the population of Germany will have aged so that there are insufficient people of working age to support that country's retired population. Moreover, German population will drop below that of Britain, France, and other developed countries, further diminishing German companies' ability to compete in world markets.

Germany needs immigrants to stay prosperous and influential.

The secret to long-term economic growth is stable population growth. And when birth rates drop to the level seen in most economically advanced countries, the only way to maintain equilibrium is by carefully managed immigration.

Due to political, economic, and social factors, the United States has enjoyed the benefits of a natural immigration flow adding to our population. Every one of us benefits from the economic activity - and taxes - paid by our immigrants.

Angela Merkel knows this. Donald Trump obviously hasn't thought very much about the realities of actually running a country.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Before, during, and after WWII, Europe experienced a cataclysmic refugee problem.

Hence, the 1951 Refugee Convention. Among other things, it was stated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_Relating_to_the_Status_of_Refugees

I have to give Merkel credit for trying to get the world to live up to this commitment.

10. zin Suspended

Is it really an insult? I'd call it warranted criticism. She messed up big time with her migrant policy and will likely be out of office in 2017 given her polling trend.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Subjective, isn't it? Not saying it is. Not saying it isn't. But criticism can be insulting. Warranted or not.

12. zin Suspended

Yes, it can. Other members of the European Union have also criticised Merkel, however. I don't believe they did so to insult her.

13. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Show me where in Trump’s ‘talking out both sides of his butt’ he made any disparaging remark about Merkel’s physical attributes:

“Hillary Clinton wants to be America’s Angela Merkel, and you know what a disaster this massive immigration has been to Germany and the people of Germany. Crime has risen to levels that no one thought would they would ever see,” Trump said, during a foreign policy address in Youngstown, Ohio. “We have enough problems in our country, we don’t need another one.”

Left unsaid was Trump’s own past admiration for the German leader. Nearly a year ago to the day, on August 18, 2015, Trump gave an interview with TIME in which he said, unprompted, that Merkel was “probably the greatest leader in the world today.”

At the time, Trump was criticizing U.S. leaders for paying to support Ukraine’s government against Russian-backed separatists, while those in the region did little to help. “Germany’s like sitting back silent collecting money and making a fortune with probably the greatest leader in the world today, Merkel,” Trump told TIME in 2015. “She’s fantastic,” he added. “Highly respected.”

Germany was already experiencing a massive influx of refugees in the summer of 2015. On August 20, 2015, the German government announced that the number of refugees would grow to 800,000 for the year. Within weeks, the refugee issue had changed Trump’s opinion of Merkel.

“Frankly, look, Europe’s going to have to handle it. But they’re going to have riots in Germany. What’s happening in Germany, I always thought Merkel was, like, this great leader,” Trump said on Face the Nation on CBS on Oct. 11. “What she’s done in Germany is insane. It’s insane.”

That’s funny, nothing in there to support what you said. Criticizing a woman leader for her actions or policies now equates with you being a “chauvinist pig.” So dumb.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump should talk about Merkel. Americans should know how she invaded her own country with foreign "refugees". Pig Hillary will do the same here.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    No. If you make a mistake you should be called out on it. Why should the most powerful among us be molly coddled?

15. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

This election is unlike any I've seen.

But it doesn't seem like a good plan to start one's presidency with tension between a key ally. It's unnecessarily antagonistic. Why bring Merkel into the discussion at all?

It's a clumsy, oafish move that once again demonstrates how Trump lacks the temperament to be president.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 25, 2016 ---
    The Time article is a prime example. You left out a Trump tweet, posted after the quote above, where he said Merkel was "ruining Germany".

That article alone shows he's spoken out of both sides in the last year alone.

And this is the guy you want in charge of foreign relations?

16. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I didn’t notice Trump’s final quote, I would have included it.

In December of 2015, Merkel was named TIME’s 2015 Person of the Year, the fourth woman to be awarded the honor. Trump was listed as a runner up. He tweeted after the announcement that Merkel was “ruining Germany.”​

I took this screen capture, as I have no reason to hide this.

Whether you disagree/agree with Merkel “ruining Germany,” that comment isn’t chauvinist either and also wasn’t disparaging any of Merkel’s physical attributes, her age, etc.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's this, right here. It's another appeal to the klavern base of the GOP. Merkel is currently being savaged by the alt-right, so mentioning her as he does signifies to them that he wears the hood too.

18. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

o_O None of which have been my point.

My questioned has centered around the benefits of bad-mouthing the fourth biggest economy in the world and long-time ally. How does this benefit anybody? Or is trump not concerned with that?

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Licking the boots of world leaders is not presidential. Merkel is a fool. Pretending she isn't a fool helps no one. Saying she is making poor choices hurts no one. You need to bring this stuff to light. People need to see what is happening. We can learn from others mistakes.

What does an alliance with Germany give us anyway? Germany has Strudel and refugees. We already have enough of both.

20. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Yes I was just going to answer what you asked. I don’t care if Trump tells other leaders that he feels their actions or policies are stupid. Their economy size is irrelevant to the discussion. In what ways is Germany a long-time ally? What are they doing right now that is allied with the U.S. government or the U.S. public? Because the drone program is majorly ran through Germany?

21. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I don't know. Maybe it's because Germany has a broken immigration system and she's in charge?

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

He's desperate enough, and stupid(or ignorant?) enough to trash one of our most trusted allies for electoral gain that won't help him anyway. By breaking out the dog-bullhorn again, he's hoping he can woo anti-immigrant (aka racist) voters, while working to convince middle class white people that he's not really as racist as everyone says he is.

Trump, however, is never subtle about things, so I'm skeptical this will work. The racist right is over half the GOP, but way less than half of America. He needs to win something like 75% of white men to overcome his deficits elsewhere, and it's just not happening. So he gets more desperate. And I'm sure Bannon has plenty of ideas that a desperate man could seize upon to wreak damage on the nation if he thinks it will score him a few points in the polls.

23. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

This is ridiculous. It's like saying "because KKK drink coffee Starbucks is supporting white supremacy."

Merkel is being savaged because her policies are akin to national suicide.

24. Limey77 macrumors regular

Trump isn't concerned with anything but winning. He will continue to throw any and everybody under the bus IF he thinks it serves him.

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Close, but not quite. It's because Merkel is an object of hatred on the racist right at the moment, and he's signaling to them that he hears them. He's speaking their language. Only they hear "America's Merkel" and immediately understand what he means.