Why is youtube on wifi more clear then on 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

I have noticed on 3G YouTube is more blurry or fuzzy then on wifi why is this on 3G it loads faster on YouTube also.

2. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

You typically have a much higher amount of bandwidth on Wifi. I believe that Youtube scales the quality of the video as well based on your bandwidth.

3. dickdaney macrumors regular

The youtube app is setup to play low quality video when on 3g to save bandwidth. Do yourself a favor and use the youtube mobile site. Then go into settings and under "restrictions" turn off youtube. That will make the app disappear from you home screen.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I didn't answer bc I thought that was a joke. Simply put, great answer up there.

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I didn't answer bc I thought that was a joke. Simply put, great answer up there.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think Youtube switch to low res video if you're using 3G internet, dont care about speed, because 3G internet can easily reach 5Mbps, so that wont be a problem. But I think they do it to reduce streaming size (mobile data cap, anyone?)

And yeah, iOS youtube app is horrible, plain, and oversimplified. Only most recent videos queued by default. No options to view on categories or some sort.

So please, disable it on your iPhone ;)

7. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The iOS YouTube app is horrible. Absolutely horrible. Btw, this was most likely not Google's limitation. On Android there's a HQ toggle while watching any video (for switching whenever needed) and in the settings you can even change what it defaults to when you start videos. It's sweet. I hate how blurry videos are on iOS. You often can't read text, see little details, ect.