Why isn't Apple store selling T-Mobile phone at $99

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tiger8, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Very weird, if you go to store.apple.com, you notice:

1. The iPhone 5 still says 'Starting at $199' instead of $99
    2. T-Mobile is not a carrier choice (you have to select capacity, then scroll down to the unlocked section).
    3. You have to buy the T-Mobile iPhone at full retail price, no financing option.

Are they don't this so that not to piss off the big 3? Or is their store not setup with plans integration with T-Mobile to allow them to customize a plan?

If that's the case they should link to T-Mo web site and have people activate there, just like they did when they first launched Sprint and couldn't handle plan setup.

2. SuperShredder, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

SuperShredder macrumors newbie

Because T-mobile has a "financing option". You pay $99, and then I believe $20 a month added to your bill.

T-Mobile advertises it as "$99 down". So you are financing the phone from them. They will let you upgrade or change phones at any time, but you will still be responsible for the previous phones monthly charge.

Apple doesn't list it this way because they aren't providing financing on the phone like T-Mobile does. I would assume they would eventually allow for their store to process this option, but for now Apple is just selling the full unlocked version for full price.

Edit: I reread your post and it seems like you probably already know this. The main reason it is like this now is that Apple has not had to deal with a pricing scheme like this and will take some time before it is fully implemented and tested in their store.

3. Tallguy93 macrumors member

not true. When you add the T-Mobile version to your cart on Apple.com, it will give you an option during checkout to finance it with the same exact terms as T-Mobile. (on approved credit of course). If you choose this option, you will also get the iPhone for 70 dollars less than retail (same as t-mobile) as long as you make your payments on time for 6 months. Look here:

http://store.apple.com/us/instant_credit_24

4. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

To get financing thru apple I was told it was Barclays/Apple partnership. It must be an in store only.

5. Fdfan100 macrumors member

If you proceed to check out with the unlock model with T-Mobile sim. Before you start the checkout option, there a special financing options through Barclays which matches the T-Mobile financing option, if you have approved credit.

6. 9th Wonder macrumors member

9th Wonder

Well, there is still the Barclay Visa financing option. I've heard from numerous posters that you initially place a down payment of $US99 dollars, then after 6 months into the program, you are offered a rebate of $US70 dollars. However, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Anyways on another topic, I'm going to purchase the T-mobile version iPhone 5 via the Apple store. Although the T-mobile store is indeed cheaper in comparison, the lack of a nano-sim card, the sim card eject pin, and an unattractive fax process required to unlocked the phone after full payment, were def. deal breaking in my perspective.

7. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks guys! I just find it weird that they are not presenting it in the front page of the site, guess their site does not support it

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

For now, no 3rd party (Best Buy, Apple, etc) can use T-Mobile's new "uncarrier" plans. Supposedly next year T-Mobile is going to start allowing 3rd parties to use the new plans. Until then Apple is doing their own financing. And since it comes with a SIM installed, signing up for a plan is rather simple.