Why Isn't the Back Of The iPhone 5 All Aluminum?

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
With looking at the back of the iPhone 5 and taking a look at the new iPod Touch that is all aluminum, why has apple not just cover the entire back with the aluminum too?

I am not saying that I don't like the look but does anyone know the reason why Apple kept the two glass piece on the top and bottom of the iPhone 5?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
With looking at the back of the iPhone 5 and taking a look at the new iPod Touch that is all aluminum, why has apple not just cover the entire back with the aluminum too?

I am not saying that I don't like the look but does anyone know the reason why Apple kept the two glass piece on the top and bottom of the iPhone 5?
Reception issues with the various antennae.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
First post!!!!

Reception issues. Signals can not permeate aluminum like it can through glass. I do like the two tone design.

Edit: Damn someone beat me

Edit x2: WTH!! Someone else beat me!

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
Signal transmission of certain radios - like bluetooth. It cannot pass through metal but can pass through glass.

Edit: Beaten to it.

This
+

On the iPod the wifi,Bluetooth etc is located where the ugly piece of plastic is in the upper right hand corner (on the back)

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009

stupid/

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
So the reason the iPod Touch isn't the same is because it doesn't have antennae?
It has much less things that need to penetrate the back of the device and apple is able to fit it all where the black piece of plastic is.

On the iphone the antennas for cellular/wifi etc are locate where the glass is, if you stick a iphone 5 on your leg/arm the signal will degrade because the whole back will be covered.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
So the reason the iPod Touch isn't the same is because it doesn't have antennae?
Which explains the plastic rounded-rectangle shape on the back of the 1st-3rd and 5th generation iPod touch -- it's the wifi antenna.

Don't know how they managed to get the signal through the aluminum on the 4th gen.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
I OTOH am not shy to say that's just ugly, unbecoming of an Apple product, whatever the technical reason. Wasn't the 4 a complete one-piece deal? (at least by just looking at it).

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
I OTOH am not shy to say that's just ugly, unbecoming of an Apple product, whatever the technical reason. Wasn't the 4 a complete one-piece deal? (at least by just looking at it).
It was sort of one-piece, yeah. But it was one piece of glass so the two tone on the back was a non-issue. But they went with something much sturdier this time since a lot of people had broken glass issues, so they had to come up with a way around it.