Why Isn't the Back Of The iPhone 5 All Aluminum?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LouieSamman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

With looking at the back of the iPhone 5 and taking a look at the new iPod Touch that is all aluminum, why has apple not just cover the entire back with the aluminum too?

I am not saying that I don't like the look but does anyone know the reason why Apple kept the two glass piece on the top and bottom of the iPhone 5?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Reception issues with the various antennae.

3. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Signal transmission of certain radios - like bluetooth. It cannot pass through metal but can pass through glass.

Edit: Beaten to it.

4. SamGabbay, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

First post!!!!

Reception issues. Signals can not permeate aluminum like it can through glass. I do like the two tone design.

Edit: Damn someone beat me

Edit x2: WTH!! Someone else beat me!

5. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

This
    +

On the iPod the wifi,Bluetooth etc is located where the ugly piece of plastic is in the upper right hand corner (on the back)

6. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

So the reason the iPod Touch isn't the same is because it doesn't have antennae?

7. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

stupid/

8. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

It has much less things that need to penetrate the back of the device and apple is able to fit it all where the black piece of plastic is.

On the iphone the antennas for cellular/wifi etc are locate where the glass is, if you stick a iphone 5 on your leg/arm the signal will degrade because the whole back will be covered.

9. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Which explains the plastic rounded-rectangle shape on the back of the 1st-3rd and 5th generation iPod touch -- it's the wifi antenna.

Don't know how they managed to get the signal through the aluminum on the 4th gen.

10. in0va3 macrumors member

But there's glass on the front of the phone. Can't signal transfer through the front?

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Sure, right through your head.

12. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

The back of the display has a metal heat shield to protect the display from CPU/GPU heat. Can't pass through that.

13. in0va3 macrumors member

Thanks!

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I OTOH am not shy to say that's just ugly, unbecoming of an Apple product, whatever the technical reason. Wasn't the 4 a complete one-piece deal? (at least by just looking at it).

15. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

It was sort of one-piece, yeah. But it was one piece of glass so the two tone on the back was a non-issue. But they went with something much sturdier this time since a lot of people had broken glass issues, so they had to come up with a way around it.