Why isnt the iPhone 4S Usb 3...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waloshin, Oct 5, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Why isn't the iPhone 4S Usb 3 or thunderbolt internally?

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Because it is not needed. Would you rather have USB3 or wireless syncing.

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I thought this thread was a joke about the whiners.....like why doesn't the new iPhone 4s have blu ray? But then I opened it and realized your serious......I'm sorry :(

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

each port requires space and there's already a cable to give you USB connectivity.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

It has wireless syncing?

And why not both?

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

iOS 5 have wireless syncing.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes, but its old usb 2.

8. Moe UK macrumors regular

How long will 32 GB of data take wirelessly compared to using a cable?

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt require additional hardware. Considering that the 4S now has a multimode GSM/CDMA chipset I would guess that the innards are even more size constrained than the 4, which was packed tightly.

I fully expect the next iPad to be Thunderbolt capable.

10. maflynn, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would apple put a USB 3 port on the iPhone 4s when they don't sell any computers that use USB 3:confused:

Plus what advantage does USB 3 really have to offer for the iPhone . Its primary purpose is charging and syncing. Now with iOS5 there is less need to connect the iPhone to your Mac.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This. It would be stupid to sell a phone that their computers can't fully utilise, what with Tim Cook talking about the integrated experience at the end.

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Thunderbolt chips are early tech, and I doubt they've become small enough to fit into iOS devices. I would love a thunderbolt connection to my iphone in the future though. I find wireless syncing kind of pointless, considering I'm going to be next to my Macbook when I sync.

13. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Plus Apple would have to develop a Thunderbolt to dock connector solution, be it an adapter or a new cable.

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Macs don't have USB3 also is such a fast connection really necessary you aren't going to transfer more than a few GB's every normal sync max.

15. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I could be wrong but I don't think the Thunderbolt can carry charging voltage as it is supposed to be an optical technology. iPhones only sync when they are charging so this wouldn't work.

16. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Thunderbolt can use optical or copper cables. Right now I think they only use copper cables since the Thunderbolt ports double as DisplayPorts. I think the optical Thunderbolt spec wouldn't be backwards compatible with DisplayPort.

17. Potatochobit macrumors regular

some bros got to move 40GB of rap music to their new iphone 4S
    I can dig it
    needs more thunderbolt! shazam!

18. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

19. clibinarius macrumors 6502a

This is wrong. Next year, Macs WILL have USB 3 support, and the phones will be futureproofed. Furthermore, most people who own IOS devices do NOT own a Mac. USB 3 is fully backwards compatible meaning mac users CAN use the tech, just not at the speeds.

If you want a USB compatible IOS device, I'd say wait for iPhone 5. And I doubt that'll appear until 2012. Obviously, given Apple's unwillingness to say HSPA+ is 4G, the next iPhone will be called the iPhone 4G. And since it'll AGAIN have "4" in the title, do you really think they're changing the case to allow room for a thunderbolt port?

Nuff said.

20. LaazyEye macrumors regular

already in dev...

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/05/apple-dock-connector-to-support-displayport-usb-3-0-thunderbolt/

yes it will...

[​IMG]

Optical parts are contained within the cable...

21. Captain America macrumors 6502

USB because it's not that hard for me to sync while I'm at my computer.

----------

What the hell are you talking about? I had a laptop with a USB 3.0 port. Advantage? It's faster.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

Integrating around the least common denominator is not such a good thing. After all most iPhone owners use PCs not Macs. And PCs do have USB 3.0.

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Easy.

Because Macs don't have USB 3 so they'd be leaving everyone with a Mac, their own computer, behind (and they want people to stay in the ecosystem so they want each of their products to interact nicely with each other) and thunderbolt is still not that widely adopted so they'd leave a lot of people behind if they did it by Thunderbolt.

----------

And they want people to move to their computer.

It would be really really dumb when trying to get more people into your ecosystem including your computer to make one of your products not do well with the other.

You forget that Apple isn't just trying to sell you an iphone, they want you into their ecosystem. That's the whole reason for iCloud for example.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Loading up a 64GB iPhone over USB2 will be sloooooooooooow :eek:

25. admanimal macrumors 68040

Is the iPhone's flash memory actually fast enough to make USB3 or Thunderbolt worth using?