Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I went from iOS 12 to 13 beta 1, then beta 2, then beta 3. I was able a few days ago to return to beta 2.

After I reported this issue:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-beta-2-can’t-update-or-download-apps-anymore.2188969/

Of course I had the idea to return to iOS 12.

Well, here's where everything starts going wrong:

3utools for the 1st time failed to do what I asked. It failed to do a downgrade and entered recovery mode.

Then I used 3utools again and went back to iOS 13 beta 3, which I reported was not working for ethernet mode and other stuff:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ethernet-is-not-working-since-ios-13-beta-3.2188563/

And guess what? The update worked.

So now all my apps are updated, and I may return to iOS 13 beta 2, if going to iOS 12 isn't possible, right?

Wrong, I can't go back to iOS 13 beta 2.

So what's going on, here? Some sort of window closed and I can't apply downgrades anymore?

I'll repeat all my steps:

iOS 12 last version ->>>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 1 ------->

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 1 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 ------->

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 3 ------->

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 3 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 ------->

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 12.3.1(FAILED) <----RECOVERY MODE------>

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 3 ------->

3uTools: iOS 13 beta 3 >>>>>>>>>> 3uTools: iOS 13 beta 2 (FAILED) <----RECOVERY MODE------>

NOW STUCK in: iOS 13 beta 3.

Last edited:

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
I was able to return to iOS 13 beta 2 with 3utools a few minutes ago. It must have been a temporary error with this program, or like I said before, iOS 13 beta 3 being funny again with the lightning port/cable. Avoid this beta 3 at all cost, this **** has some serious issues in this regard. At least I was able to update all apps, now I'll wait until the final 13 version is available.

I was only considering going back to iOS 12 to solve the Apple Store issue and update all apps, now this is fixed I'll stay with it.

I flashed with the option "Retain user data" and I already did an iCloud backup from the system.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I was able to return to iOS 13 beta 2 with 3utools a few minutes ago. It must have been a temporary error with this program, or like I said before, iOS 13 beta 3 being funny again with the lightning port/cable. Avoid this beta 3 at all cost, this **** has some serious issues in this regard. At least I was able to update all apps, now I'll wait until the final 13 version is available.

I was only considering going back to iOS 12 to solve the Apple Store issue and update all apps, now this is fixed I'll stay with it.

I flashed with the option "Retain user data" and I already did an iCloud backup from the system.
But the question remains: why are you using an unauthorized installation method? Of course, bad stuff is going to happen when you do that.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Using: iPAD Pro 10.5.

I currently have installed the iOS 13 beta 3, revised version, identified as 17A5522g;

I can't downgrade to iOS 12 using iTunes, it's returning a "26 ERROR".

The problem also happens with 3uTools, a software that can do the same. And sadly now 3uTools is not listing the iOS 13 beta 1 or 2.

So what are my choices? Will I lose all my data? I opted to retain user data in all these attempts.

I download the iOS 12.3.1 for the IPP 10.5 firmware and used iTunes to restore it.

P.S. I used iTunes to create a backup, that is now stored in my PC. But it's a backup from iOS 13, and I don't think that will work with iOS 12 if the latter overwrites the 13 I am using.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
It sounds like there is some issue separate from the downgrade process.

Have you tried troubleshooting error 26? It might be the connection. Maybe try another cable?

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-iphone-error-26/
If fixing this error means updating iTunes then I will not fix. I need to use iTunes 12.6.5.3 to not lose this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-beta-3-―-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2188318/page-19#post-27515936

And the lightning cable is OK and it's the one that came with the iPAD (so, it's original).

I was going to try using iOS 13 beta 2, however 3uTools now doesn't offer it as a firmware anymore. I am still trying to find a place where I can download it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If fixing this error means updating iTunes then I will not fix. I need to use iTunes 12.6.5.3 to not lose this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-13-beta-3-―-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2188318/page-19#post-27515936

And the lightning cable is OK and it's the one that came with the iPAD (so, it's original).

I was going to try using iOS 13 beta 2, however 3uTools now doesn't offer it as a firmware anymore. I am still trying to find a place where I can download it.
Updating iTunes could be the issue. I believe I was on a version of iTunes with app support and it wouldn't work for me either.

I don't know if those older betas can still be installed, you may have to wait for the next one.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Updating iTunes could be the issue. I believe I was on a version of iTunes with app support and it wouldn't work for me either.

I don't know if those older betas can still be installed, you may have to wait for the next one.
It was possible to revert from beta 3 to 2, however it was a shot in the dark, since it failed a couple of times.

I just found the beta 2 here: https://ipsw.me/otas/iPad7,4

And I'll try one last time removing beta 3. Another issue I am having is that my bank app has stopped working, can't log into my account anymore. I had to install said app in my old iPAD 4 to regain access. And this app was working fine in beta 2.

This beta 3 has to be the worst thing ever released by Apple, the idiot that removed support for USB devices should be fired.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
It was possible to revert from beta 3 to 2, however it was a shot in the dark, since it failed a couple of times.

I just found the beta 2 here: https://ipsw.me/otas/iPad7,4

And I'll try one last time removing beta 3. Another issue I am having is that my bank app has stopped working, can't log into my account anymore. I had to install said app in my old iPAD 4 to regain access. And this app was working fine in beta 2.

This beta 3 has to be the worst thing ever released by Apple, the idiot that removed support for USB devices should be fired.

No-one came along and thought, "I think I'll just remove USB for a while". Code gets reworked and things break and if they're broken when the beta snapshot is taken then that's what you get. Do not rely on betas. Things that used to work, may not work in the next beta. Anything can be missing, broken or incomplete at any stage in the process. Righteous fury helps no-one.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Well, this is it. I am stuck with this crap until a new version comes along.

3UTools can't do a downgrade to any of these listed:

12.4 beta 5

I was able God knows how to do a downgrade to beta 2. But this beta isn't being listed anymore for this software.

And iTunes says firmware incompatible even if I try to load the beta 2 IPSW.

So I'll wait for a new version and hope they fix this issue.

No-one came along and thought, "I think I'll just remove USB for a while". Code gets reworked and things break and if they're broken when the beta snapshot is taken then that's what you get. Do not rely on betas. Things that used to work, may not work in the next beta. Anything can be missing, broken or incomplete at any stage in the process. Righteous fury helps no-one.
Then how about forgetting this beta 3 exists and start correcting all pending problems from beta 2 onwards?

It's taking too much time to fix an issue that if left unchecked will render the iPAD useless at least to me.

My fear is that the final version comes along and this problem is still not repaired.

We can expect anything from Apple these days, this company is totally incompetent and must be run by monkeys and clowns.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Well, this is it. I am stuck with this crap until a new version comes along.

3UTools can't do a downgrade to any of these listed:

12.4 beta 5

I was able God knows how to do a downgrade to beta 2. But this beta isn't being listed anymore for this software.

And iTunes says firmware incompatible even if I try to load the beta 2 IPSW.

So I'll wait for a new version and hope they fix this issue.

Then how about forgetting this beta 3 exists and start correcting all pending problems from beta 2 onwards?

It's taking too much time to fix an issue that if left unchecked will render the iPAD useless at least to me.

My fear is that the final version comes along and this problem is still not repaired.

We can expect anything from Apple these days, this company is totally incompetent and must be run by monkeys and clowns.

I am sure that I am not the first to say this, but if you have anything MISSION CRTITCAL; or are not willing to be inconvenienced a small or large amount, then DO NOT be a beta tester. I don’t understand how people can expect a beta to be flawless, no software “release” is flawless. A beta “release” is meant for you to have problems, and find those problems, report those problems, so that when an actual “release” happens, most of that will be smoothed our.

Did you use the Feedback Assistant to report these issues?

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
Did you use the Feedback Assistant to report these issues?
Of course I did. Days ago. But why bother? Apple hasn't even responded to bug reports I filed more than a year before. This company has gone downhill in the last years in every possible way imaginable.

I am now doing a 12.3.1 restore in DFU mode as suggested, using iTunes and this firmware for the IPP 10.5 downloaded from here: http://osxdaily.com/2019/05/24/ios-12-3-1-update-iphone-ipad-ipsw-download/

Not going to bother with this iOS 13 crap until I am 101% sure this bug that cuts access to USB devices is fixed.

The problem with this DFU restore is that it's the last possible resort. As this video explains:

When you do that you also DELETE ALL YOUR DATA from the device. I was hoping I could revert back to iOS 13 beta 2 retaining all my data, but since that is impossible I'll have to wait until I am using iOS 13 to reutilize my backup again.

I am seeing now (a minute ago this was showed) iTunes is incapable of using the iOS 13 local backup stored in my hard drive. It says the backup is new but iOS 12 is too old, and I should set the iPAD as a new device and update to iOS 13 prior to use this backup.

That must also mean the iCloud backup I also did is useless.

Meaning until Apple fixes all the crap they did with beta 3 I can't use the iPAD with my backup data.

Update: the iCloud backup can't be used too, but I am seeing now there's a 2nd backup that is compatible with iOS 12. I am trying now to restore from it.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

As I said, that's now how it works. Things being "corrected" often results in regressions, missing features and absolute brokenness. That is the nature of software development.

You agreed to this on signing up for the beta

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

In particular, review sections 7, 9, 11 and 12.

I am now doing a 12.3.1 restore in DFU mode as suggested, using iTunes and this firmware for the IPP 10.5 downloaded from here: http://osxdaily.com/2019/05/24/ios-12-3-1-update-iphone-ipad-ipsw-download/

Not going to bother with this iOS 13 crap until I am 101% sure this bug that cuts access to USB devices is fixed.

So, let me get this straight. Your solution to the current issue with USB device accessibility in the iOS 13 beta is to go back to iOS 12, which does not and never will have USB device access?

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Of course I did. Days ago. But why bother? Apple hasn't even responded to bug reports I filed more than a year before. This company has gone downhill in the last years in every possible way imaginable.

The problem with this DFU restore is that it's the last possible resort. As this video explains:

When you do that you also DELETE ALL YOUR DATA from the device. I was hoping I could revert back to iOS 13 beta 2 retaining all my data, but since that is impossible I'll have to wait until I am using iOS 13 to reutilize my backup again.

I am seeing now (a minute ago this was showed) iTunes is incapable of using the iOS 13 local backup stored in my hard drive. It says the backup is new but iOS 12 is too old, and I should set the iPAD as a new device and update to iOS 13 prior to use this backup.

That must also mean the iCloud backup I also did is useless.

Meaning until Apple fixes all the crap they did with beta 3 I can't use the iPAD with my backup data.

Update: the iCloud backup can't be used too, but I am seeing now there's a 2nd backup that is compatible with iOS 12. I am trying now to restore from it.

I would also avoid expecting 3rd Party tools like 3utools to function correctly on a major beta, (not a .1 release) , also tweakbox. Both are used by some for piracy, I’m not saying you use it that, but you have to remember that it is a beta. Often approved and common apps, etc, have troubles on the betas. One could even easily argue, that the developers of 3utools should be taking advantage of the developer beta to wrinkle out the issue which you are having with them.

As the other poster said, you can not do the usb things you described in IOS 12 anyway. So reverting to iOS 12 didn’t solve your issue.

I am having trouble updating apps on iOS 13 b2... my phone an iPhone 7+ didn’t get a beta 3 update yet. (I’m not certain why) i cant work around it, it’s a hassle that is expected in a beta.

You ask “why bother” reporting it, because if you don’t report your issues, you are skipping the main intent and purpose of a beta. Apple can not respond to every report, but they do consider reports for common issues.

I’m just curious, what grade are you in?
[doublepost=1562697957][/doublepost]
As I said, that's now how it works. Things being "corrected" often results in regressions, missing features and absolute brokenness. That is the nature of software development.

You agreed to this on signing up for the beta

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/legal

In particular, review sections 7, 9, 11 and 12.

So, let me get this straight. Your solution to the current issue with USB device accessibility in the iOS 13 beta is to go back to iOS 12, which does not and never will have USB device access?

I don’t think it had Ethernet connection either did it?

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
As the other poster said, you can not do the usb things you described in IOS 12 anyway. So reverting to iOS 12 didn’t solve your issue.
No, it did solve this one:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ethernet-is-not-working-since-ios-13-beta-3.2188563/

Which is ethernet access that has been removed completely since beta 3 and beta 3 revised.

Everything was working fine in iOS 13 beta 2 (except app updates, which was broken in it). I had all the new features from dark mode to bluetooth access to my DS4 controller and also the one mentioned for Kindle in this video:

Then iOS 13 beta 3 came along and all of this was suddenly removed, and while it worked for me to revert back to beta 2, I noticed this wasn't being accepted once I did a few more times.

For the record, 3utools has worked for me when I needed. But of course we can't expect it to work 100% for downgrades that should never be needed in the first place.

Anyway, I'll wait for a polished version even if it takes months. My iCloud backup has restored (I am luck to have found one for iOS 12) most of what I had in the device and there's no data loss since I wasn't storing sensitive documents in it. The only downside is that I'll have to rearrange icons and a few settings.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
No, it did solve this one:

Which is ethernet access that has been removed completely since beta 3 and beta 3 revised.

Everything was working fine in iOS 13 beta 2 (except app updates, which was broken in it). I had all the new features from dark mode to bluetooth access to my DS4 controller and also the one mentioned for Kindle in this video:

Then iOS 13 beta 3 came along and all of this was suddenly removed, and while it worked for me to revert back to beta 2, I noticed this wasn't being accepted once I did a few more times.

For the record, 3utools has worked for me when I needed. But of course we can't expect it to work 100% for downgrades that should never be needed in the first place.

Anyway, I'll wait for a polished version even if it takes months. My iCloud backup has restored (I am luck to have found one for iOS 12) most of what I had in the device and there's no data loss since I wasn't storing sensitive documents in it. The only downside is that I'll have to rearrange icons and a few settings.
So, you broke a number of the cardinal rules of running a beta (not archiving a backup, using unapproved installation/deinstallation tools and relying on a beta for mission critical features) and then have the temerity to criticize Apple for "breaking" a feature in a beta (that may not be broken for everyone but you or a subset of users).

Ok.

I'd find a mirror...

Dark Knight.jpg

Last edited:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Of course you have to update iTunes, you expect to be running BETA software on your iPad but refuse to update iTunes? You need to be running macOS 10.14 with the latest version of iTunes + XCode BETA in order to update and restore iOS/iPadOS 13 BETA's. It's clearly stated in the release notes..

Otherwise you have to run macOS 10.15 BETA and do it using the Finder. Both works.

If you for some reason just have to have the old iTunes you could just connect a external hard-drive, take a Time Machine Backup. Update iTunes and install XCode BETA, or upgrade to macOS 10.15 BETA, do the restore of the iPad and just restore your Mac from the Time Machine Backup.

Complaining about unauthorised third-party tools not working, especially with BETA software is rather ridiculous.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
iOS 12.3.1 is clearly better than all these 13 versions.

At least for the IPP 10.5. The device is running much faster now, clearly more responsive, and I wouldn't be surprised if the battery (which has always been s.hit for Apple) improves as well.

Really, they will have to fix a lot of stuff to make 13 acceptable again.

Or at least do us a favor and fire the clown who removed all USB access in the last beta version. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

billhelm

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure you always have to use DFU mode to go back, there's no way to do an in place downgrade as far as I know.

That's why it's important to archive a backup in iTunes before you upgrade, because you also cannot restore from an icloud backup done on ios 13.

Reactions: jonblatho

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

At least for the IPP 10.5. The device is running much faster now, clearly more responsive, and I wouldn't be surprised if the battery (which has always been s.hit for Apple) improves as well.

Or at least do us a favor and fire the clown who removed all USB access in the last beta version. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Last I checked, iOS 13 hasn't been released. Several beta versions have been released for testing.

Get over yourself. And stay off the betas.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013

I am having a few issues with my iOS 13b2...Still, I have stopped using my 12.1.2 jailbroken iPhone, and have not looked back. (I initially planned to just play with it on my wife's old iPhone 7 Plus, and continue to use my jailbroken 7 plus) I liked beta 1 so much, I activated the one on iOS 13b1. (I still have my jailbroken iPhone 7, that I use for couple tasks over the built-in hotspot.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway

Have you ever been a BETA tester before? If you don't want bad performance, bad battery life and a ton of bugs you NEVER jump onto X.0 releases before BETA'5 at the earliest. This is nothing new, BETA'1-4 have always been really rough, this is nothing new for iOS 13. Was the same for 12.0 BETA's, 11.0 BETA's etc..

Why are you even running the BETA? Your expectations are just out of this world. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure you always have to use DFU mode to go back, there's no way to do an in place downgrade as far as I know.

That's why it's important to archive a backup in iTunes before you upgrade, because you also cannot restore from an icloud backup done on ios 13.

You have been in the past. You could normally manually load older IPSW in iTunes and do a "update" to a older version. It's never recommended, but the IPSW contains the entire operating system so it will normally work just fine.

Reactions: newellj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.