Why most monitor and TV bezel are in black?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Contrast, lack of sheen, not distracting. Some companies still use some silver tones, such as Sony, but it's minimal compared to before.

2. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yep, plus the fact that most consumer electronics - AVRs, BD players, amps, speakers, etc., - are black, it's just continuing the same aesthetic. I'm looking at our AV rack in the main TV room, and it's got a black AVR, black WiFi AP, black AppleTV 4, black PS3, black Wii-U, black 8 port switch, black UPS, the rack itself is black, the front speakers/sub are black, the stands are black ... the sofa is black ... the fireplace door is black ...

And so on.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

I personally prefer silver bezel like those on the Samsung KS series TV.

Anybody tried to use silver tape to wrap around the black bezel?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    The color of my wall is in yellow color. For experiment, I put a 40" TV with black bezel. It is quit distracting.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

It's a timeless color. Silver finishes rub off over time or dissolve due to oils in our skin. Though I suppose mister Neiman Marcus Quatroporte will waltz in and say something about the heat again... LOL I like black for equipment. I can't say I like it for some stuff, such as cars.

I had no idea the Wii U came in black. Black or wrought iron for fireplace doors is a must, IMO. And unless I'm confusing you for someone else, isn't your home theater mostly black and dark red?

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think they should bring back the 80's/90's era beige colored plastic that computers had and use it on TVs, computers, and mobile devices.

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Why stop there? Let's bring back the fake wood veneer colored plastic cases from the 70s!

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Fake? You mean my old 21" CRT wasn't crafted out of solid walnut? I'm so disappointed!

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Write an angry letter. That'll show 'em.

9. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Apparently it's making a comeback.
    IMG_3347.PNG

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

How old was it?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are watching in a dark room black is a better color. The idea is not to distract the viewer with a silver bezel.

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

^^^ Yup -- the effect is to defer attention to the content on the display itself.

It'a also why the bezels of the iPad and iPhone (and Apple Watch, for that matter) are so plain. What matters is what's on the screen, not what's around it.

14. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

It's like the MBA and the rMBP the silver/white on the MBA is just distracting..