why my mp4 videos are dramatically reduced in size when transferred to my USB HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Appletise, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Appletise macrumors member

l am transferring from my mbpr "Photos" software to my USB HD for backup. This process reduces the size by ~7x~ eg transferred an old MPEG 4 thats 7MB, but when transferred to my USB HD it goes down to 1.1MB. l want the same size as original. surely its possible?

The files don't seem to be searchable, so l do not know where the file is in my mbpr, eg file called MOV03599.mp4, but when l try to search it in my 'Finder' its not there. only when l transfer to the USB HD l can search it, though it changes from .mp4 to .mv4?

please comment.

thanks for help :)

2. Evren Carven macrumors regular

Evren Carven

It should be .m4v
    The .m4v file is less than mp4 due to different compress rate and coded format.

3. Appletise thread starter macrumors member

thanks for reply Evren, how do l keep it mp4 at the original size without this compression and reduction in quality?

4. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Not sure how you are transferring, so this is a guess...
    Select the image in Photos
    File/Export
    in the dialog that appears, there is a button with a down pointing arrow next to the "Photo Kind"
    If you click that, some more options will appear that should let you select the output quality.

If you are using some other method of transfer, post back and maybe someone can help further.

5. HobeSoundDarryl, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes, it sounds like you are exporting them and during the export you are also sending them through some form of compression. Per this page http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-import-export-and-share-photos-with-photos-for-mac/ "Export"...

To export, select your file or files and go to File > Export. You will see two options: Export X photos or videos (or items if you have a mix of photos and videos) and Export Unmodified Original.

I'm guessing you are NOT choosing that option.

Else, can't you open a Finder window for your USB drive and simply drag the file from Photos to drop into the Finder (and thus onto the drive)? That will probably bypass the Export compression if it works.