Why no Airport ExPRESS with 802.11n and what does that tell us?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by anthonymoody, Feb 23, 2008.

1. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

It seems to me that Apple could *easily* have updated the Express to include 802.11n, OR simply added an audio output to either/both the Airport Extreme or the newer Time Capsule.

What gives? Perhaps a replacement Express with N that has both audio and HDMI out? Something else? Apple just getting lazy?

Or do they just want us all to buy Apple TV? But that doesn't help extend a network :(

Thoughts?

TM

2. Arjy macrumors member

Relatively, wireless N is still new technology. Every product sold is still draft N. I'm sure that and the size of the express may not allow an N router to be built in yet. Plus, the express is still very fast and works for what people use it for, setting up a mobile wifi network or using to to wifi their speakers.

3. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah but doing so in conjunction with an Extreme (n) base station slows the network down to g, no?

Every other device in my house (MBP, iMac) is n except the Express, which I need to extend the range of the network. Actually, our iphones aren't N, but we typically don't use them to surf in the house too much so we tend to leave wifi off while home.

TM

4. Arjy macrumors member

Not the whole network, just the speed of data between the express and the extreme, and anything communicating with the express will be slowed. Connecting straight to the extreme however will give you full speed.

5. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Hmm I didn't know that. Are you sure? I ask b/c isn't it true that if you connect say a b laptop to such a network the whole network slows to b?

6. Arjy macrumors member

I don't believe so. At my house I am connected wiht my laptop and iMac at N speeds, while my mother is connected on her laptop with a G card. BAck when we had a G router I would never get reception in my room, so it must mean that it is capable of both.

7. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Huh strange. And surprising. Thanks though. Time to hit google I think b/c I could swear I've read that (like 1000 times!)

Thanks,
    TM

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Strange! I just came here cos I've been thinking about buying one as a double benefit (booster and wireless audio), but then noticed it's not "n." Guess I'll wait.......

9. Doraemon macrumors 6502

I really like my Express station, but I think it's wired that Apple doesn't upgrade this product and hence doesn't try to make big bucks with AirTunes. I mean, by now there are several third-party AirTunes-like devices available that are actually much nicer than the Express station. It's time Apple did something about it.

10. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Well, you could always buy a second Extreme and use WDS.

11. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I've seen SS's of people claiming the Hong Kong store had a N version of the express for a brief time recently. Don't know if it was a slip-up on apple's part or a typo.

With so many releases coming out ... I wouldn't be shocked if they updated the express.

12. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

As I understand the feature to extend a network using WDS, it is not supported on the "n" chipsets. If anyone knows this not to be the case, please correct me if I am wrong or have misspoken.

13. anthonymoody thread starter macrumors 68020

Looks like I should wonder about missing products/features more often :)