Why no black MBP…?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r-gordon-7, Dec 27, 2007.

1. r-gordon-7 macrumors newbie

Any idea why Apple – recognizing black as a “premium” option in the MB line by charging extra for it - doesn’t offer it at all in the “premium” (MBP) line?

I, for one, would’ve likely gone for an MBP instead of the MB “Blackbook”, if a MBP had simply been available in black… (In part, because I prefer the overall appearance in black, and in part because on-screen colors just look more vivid to me when framed by a black bezel…)

If Apple expected enough people would pay extra for black in the MB line - and plenty of people certainly do - why wouldn’t Apple expect enough would do the same in the MBP line? Even if Apple wanted to avoid plastic in the MBP line, black anodized aluminum sure would’ve looked nice and would’ve been no less durable nor any more scratch prone than the MPB’s silver colored finish.

Thanks,
    r-gordon-7

2. Osprey macrumors 6502

Who knows, maybe the future will hold a new black MBP!

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

In recent years, Apple has always separate its "Pro" product line (Mac Pro, MBP, Xserve, Cinema Display) from the consumer product line (iMac and MacBook) by using different materials, i.e. plastic for consumer and aluminum for pro. The trend, however, is changing as all iPods are now aluminum and so do the new iMac. There is a possibility that Apple may offer more choice of colour for the upcoming MBP. Although it is highly that Apple will stick with one colour for the "Pro" product line as this makes it easy for people to distinguish it from the consumer products.

P.S. by "Consumer" products, I mean products from Apple that are targeted towards the Home and Education segment. There are plenty of people out there like myself who own a "Pro" product and don't do professional stuff.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Gunmetal grey is the prediction for the color of the aluminum case on the new "ultraportable". Maybe that will carry over to the Mac Pro as well.

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

This would be tremendously popular in Texas. Think of it: A ultraportable with a color that fits your other favourite gadget.

6. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

You would choose a computer based on it's color over it's performance? I'll bet you're one of those MacBook users that put stickers all over their case, aren't you?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And more than a few of us that own "Consumer" Macs that use them professionally, as well!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I bought a red case for my MBP. Protects it and it looks good. Was only about $40.

9. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Come on mate, people choose Macs over PC's for two reasons. Firstly, you get to use Mac OS. Secondly, their design looks a lot better than the majority of PC's.

Normally for the equivalent price of a Mac you can buy a more fully featured and powerful PC. But Macs are still bought thanks to the above two reasons.

Which means that a lot of us DO "choose a computer based on it's color" or design or brand.

10. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Very true! My "girl" friend bought a VAIO only because it's pink.

11. iMan G5 macrumors member

I would buy a black aluminum MBP in a heartbeat.... :D

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Pretty much. Very hard otherwise to explain why people regularly post about spending $500 on G3 machines when fully-powered PCs could be had for less.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm not sure why you've quoted "girl" there. Are we to suppose that that label is temporary?:confused:;)

Now, as for the OP's question, "why is there no black mbp," I think the answer is simple: excessive variation. If one examines Apple's product line, a trend emerges: simplicity. There are only 6 notebooks offered by Apple under two umbrella terms (macbook and macbook pro). Most PC makers offer dozens of notebooks with model numbers that are longer than most SS numbers! Apple is brilliant here because it is making selection simple. This keeps costs down and has the effect of making people pay more most of the time (pay for black over white for example). OP, your situation of "downgrading" to a blackbook is undoubtedly rare, as the pricing of the blackbook is meant to attract white macbook buyers, not macbook pro buyers.

15. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I know exactly what you're talking about. For example, to me the "iLamp" (iMac G4) is still the best looking iMac. Hell, that baby should be INCREASING in value as time goes on! It's a beautiful product. :D

I assume he meant that he has a friend who happens to be a girl, rather than her being his "girlfriend".

But anyway, why even pick up on that - what does it have to do with this discussion? :confused:

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Just casually making conversation...no need to get your stacks all out of order! :p

Perhaps a good question to counter the "why no black mbp" question is why there is no small mbp (though many of us are hoping that this will change shortly...)?

If Apple needs to make any change to its lineup, it's that one.

17. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Fair enough :)
    I'm sure skyrider007 will reveal all about this "girl" friend of his tomorrow and we'll all be able to sleep soundly!

That's a good question to ask and something I definitely agree with. I just hope they release an 11" model cos ever since I saw the 11" Sony Vaio, I haven't stopped thinking about it. If Apple simply release a 13" then they better at least equip it with a higher resolution than the current 13" Macbooks. But knowing Apple ...

18. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But what about tonight?! :eek: :p

I'm withholding all my judgements until January. Until then, I share the sentiment, "knowing Apple..." :eek:

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Why Texas?

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm guessing you've never been. :p

Everyone and their mother has a gun in Texas.