Why no BTO option for doubling of VRAM on $1,499 and $1,799 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ice Dragon, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

It seems silly to ask though I was reading that the Kepler architecture can handle 2 GB of video memory in all of the cards. I understand only allowing 2 GB in the top model iMac but why not at least 1 GB in the higher-end 21.5" and 1 GB in the low-end 27" for the 650M and 660M respectively?

Curious on MRf's thoughts?

2. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

It is so you pay extra for the top of the line model if graphics are important to you.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Apple has a history of not allowing lots of upgrades via BTO on the low end models. shame but it is working for their bottom line.

4. ericbreiter macrumors member

This is classic pricing strategy at work pushing people to go with a higher specification. It is the same thing when ordering a car, to get certain options or standard features you need to go up one trim level.

5. Apple souce macrumors member

yeah its kind of a bummer. We are at the end of 2012 and 512 mb vram is meh:(

6. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Well yes but for budget minded customers who want to save a few hundred bucks, why not?

7. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

"Why no BTO option for doubling of VRAM on $1,499 and $1,799 iMac?"

Because apple wants to corner the consumer getting the top of the line 27" imac.

8. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

Because budget-minded folks shouldn't be looking for a piece of top-of-the-line hardware in Apple's eyes. At least that's my opinion.

9. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Well and I agree to a point but here's the thing and this is why I keep debating you guys.

Kepler can handle 2 GB of memory for all cards. I don't expect 2 GB for mediocre cards and I know some OEMs do that which is terrible.

I just don't get why they don't have a 512 to 1 GB option as they have a 1 GB to 2 GB option on the ultimate. I understand profit margins to a point and if I'm buying an iMac I would want the ultimate.

As another example, they offer the 1 TB Fusion Drive and the SSD in the quad-core Mac mini and they offer the 1 TB Fusion drive in the 21.5" iMac. They don't offer the 3 TB Fusion or the 768 GB Flash nor do I expect them to.

Sorry if I have too high of expectations : P

10. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

actually you don't but business is business and oh well.

so to me the 21 inch iMac should have a gamer option. a 256 gb ssd and the 680mx gpu 2gb ddr5 ram.

and with 8gb ram ddr3 .

and windows pre installed as bootcamp and a good quad the i5 3570 xx which is a non existent cpu basically the same as the i5 3570k but oc'd to 4.0 .

this is a fantasy machine that Apple will never build as apple does not cater to the gamer.

the only way you can do this is build a hackintosh. too bad,

11. Ice Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

lol.

Nah then I'd be expecting way too much from Apple. I just want a few more BTO options.