Why no hotspot on prepaid when other phones do it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by captainbruce, May 12, 2013.

1. captainbruce macrumors newbie

why is apple the only phone it seems on the market that gives no option for personal hotspot tethering for optus on prepaid and i am sure many more phone companys. this option left up to the phone company to decide makes no sense to me they do not buy your phones the people buy your phones and if a cheep $100 dollar phone gives you the option to tether why cant apple.i have many friends with iphones on prepaid that have had to jailbreak there phone for this purpose alone.some have even gone and left apple to get a phone that can tether.please give a good reason or change please apple it will not make your phone unstable i am sure optus will still sell your phone because of the high demand i just cant work out why you have done this when every other phone has not.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's not up to Apple, it's up to the carriers. I know T-Mobile allows hotspot on the iPhone on prepaid but you have to pay an extra $15 per month for it.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It is always up to the carrier but some phones have the feature built in and can't be disabled by the carrier like they can on the iPhone such as the Nexus 4.

I use a Nexus 4 to tether using the T-mobile $70 unlimited plan all the time. I went through 4.8GB in one day tethering last week.

4. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but it seems that iphone is the only phone that doesnt have it built in why is that if no one else is doing why are they samsung galaxy has it built in and on optus to have unlimited internet it is handy
    does anyone know of any other phone that does this that has a personal hotspot feature or is it just an apple thing

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It is built in, the carriers disable it so that you have to pay to use it. You can jailbreak your phone to get it to work without paying on some phones depending upon iOS version.

6. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

if you had a samsung it would be free

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Get one then and stop complaining.

8. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

i would but i like my iPhone apart from that i have it jailbroken to get past it i am just wondering why iphone do this it is not to much to ask just a reasonable question

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

And your question has been answered.

10. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

yes but i know of people who have left iphone because of this reason like as of now if you update your phone you can not jailbreak so you have no internet tethering and bro you have no legitimate answer you may as well stay out of it

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because the carriers tell apple not to allow that feature without their approval.
    And Apple agrees to its partner carriers rules.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

There is no other answer that you will get because it is the only legitimate answer.

See below.

13. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

so i guess in the end apple is the only phone company in the world that has this agreement and you are completely cool with that no need to ask questions just except and move on

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

i did move on. I have an iPhone 4S that I can tether on for free and I have a Nexus 4 that I can tether on for free. It's your move next.

15. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

what if alot of people complained about this to apple would they change i have seen power in numbers do a huge thing in my life time and i am not the only one thinking this i have sent complaints to apple bout this.
    better to try and not succeed then not try at all
    THAT IS MY MOVE

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Won't change a thing. It's been this way for six years now or whenever hotspot was added to the iOS.

17. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Try it, good luck.

19. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone 3 didnt

20. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

There's no such thing as an iPhone 3.

Please, I beg you - stop asking these ridiculous questions and spewing nonsense

21. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I understand where the OP is coming from. Like others have said, Apple plays by the rules. If you want your carrier to change the rule, make a petition and ask other customers to sign it.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not cool with it but what questions are there to ask and what more can one do about it? You can complain all you want they will not go against their contract agreements with carriers to give you free tethering.
    It is what it is.
    The way I got around it is by JB. I'm perfectly happy with my JB i5.

23. captainbruce thread starter macrumors newbie

in the end i really wasnt complaining i just wanted a reasonable answer as i asked in the original post and that seems Applejuiced and moonman239 like the best one thank you for responding with a answer that had meaning

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I have built data centers for different carriers. I have built plenty of iPhone/ios specific data centers. To date I have never built an andriod, blackberry or windows data center for a carrier.