Why no iPhone 5 dock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AtomicEdge, Sep 13, 2012.

1. AtomicEdge macrumors regular

I love having a dock for my bedside table, because I use a dock, and keep my iPhone 4 in my pocket by itself, it's in perfect condition and it's over 2 years old!

I have been looking on the Apple store, and it doesn't seem like they are selling a "Lightning Dock". Why not? surely a lot of people would want to buy this?

Putting the adapter into my iPhone 4 dock would probably work, but would most likely bend backwards under the weight of the phone.

Anyone else think this is strange?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

well the phone was just announced yesterday and it will be a week before people get their hands on it....i'm sure it is in the works considering they will stay with this dock for the next few generations.

3. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

Yea, kinda weird. But maybe people are upset about the lack of dock compatibility and apple doesn't wanna insult them by rubbing their face in it and offering a new 40$ dock. I like you have one beside and have kept the phone in great condition. I think they could have done better with this whole adapter thing. I'd say it's the fail of the event. It's great to have a new adapter but it's leaving a lot of people screwed in many ways.

4. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

That lighting connecter is so thin, it maybe hard for it to stand on that now, many companies probably need to redesign their docks, plus does anyone know if that hing is magnetic?

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I mean there are adapters for all of their products....so it does not really screw people.....screwing them would be not making an adapter.

6. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

Hopefully they also working on the Bumper update :)

7. AtomicEdge thread starter macrumors regular

I know that the classic dock connector system where the connector itself basically holds up the phone, and I know that this wouldn't work for the Lightning connector, which makes it even crazier that Apple hasn't designed a Lightning Dock.

I assume it would have to work a bit like the iPad dock, with a raised up back on it (I have one of those too. Love my docks!).

8. srazz macrumors regular

srazz

9. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Elevation dock says they will be making one. But could be a while

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Maybe the adapter should be available as standard in the box or available free thro a type of apple store request system.

11. jsgreen, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

jsgreen macrumors 6502

Dock topic made me realize I'm bummed about the placement of the headphone jack on the iPhone 5 - putting it on the bottom means I can't have it docked (if a dock exists) while I'm at my desk and take a call with the wired earpods.

Minor annoyance, but I would rather they left the headphone jack on the top. Maybe someone will make a dock such that both the lightning and headset jack get plugged in (with an external headset jack on the dock itself)

12. AtomicEdge thread starter macrumors regular

The docks so far have also had a jack on the back (I think they all have right?) so you can just use this.

Jack on the bottom is strange though, that is going to confuse me for a while. I'll keep taking my phone out of my pocket upside down I'm sure!

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They can use the headphone port to support the phone on the dock.

14. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Would of expected it to turn up alongside all the lightening-30pin adaptors, but maybe not.

I would be VERY surprised if one wasn't announced before Christmas.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think that's true. Every time the iPhone has changed shape a new dock was required. I think its just not ready to show.

16. gadget123 macrumors 68000

How can I play music via a dock on the new Iphone?

17. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

New inserts in the universal and new docks but in insert for this new lightning connector would be weird looking. It'll come.

18. elmo0629 macrumors member

I am with you. The one thing I was surprised to not see yesterday was some type of new bumper/case. I always order my new iPhones with a bumper/case so I can put it in right away so (like my 4S currently) I can keep it is new condition and fetch a nice price on eBay for it.

19. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if apple has announced licensing agreements yet for the new connector? They said they have worked with one companies already during the keynote, but is it open to all makers?

20. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Are those just a line out, or can they work a mic as well?

21. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

That's not going to work anymore. The reason it worked before is because that jack was connected to the line out pins on the 30 pin connector. There is no line out on the new connector.

Unless and until they come up with an adapter that also plugs into the headphone jack of the iPhone5, and passes that through, the audio jack on older docks will be useless; much like my Altec Lansing stereo docking station.

Regards,
    Tom

22. AtomicEdge thread starter macrumors regular

On older docks yes, but there is nothing stopping apple from doing it digitally on a new dock. As for the question about Mic support, I'm afraid I don't know. I might try it out later, but it would only be relevant info on the pre 5 iPhones obviously.