Why no mention of the heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by purpleparrotuk, Mar 9, 2015.

1. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

I was very surprised there was no mention of the heart rate monitor at all. Especially in the marathon segment. I guess it is just a gimmick and won't be accurate at all

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

They did mention it and Tim Cook made a joke that the number displayed was not his current heart rate.

3. purpleparrotuk thread starter macrumors 6502

It was so short I missed it.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

There's no way they designed the back of the watch the way they did (with the huge lenses) just to support a gimmick.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple had bigger plans for additional sensors but due to issues with the sensors decided to leave it out for the original release. The heart rate sensor passed the accuracy tests so it stayed.

Read on..

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/17/apple-watch-health-features-cut/

6. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

This would be my guess. Many of the optical heart rate sensors don't work well compared to chest straps versions that come with actual running/fitness watches. The recent fitbit surge wrist HR sensor is a disaster(I'm not saying it's the same sensor). In addition, the fact that you need your phone with you for GPS makes it less useful for me as a workout tool as I prefer to run without my phone and have a gps watch.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Again - it's crazy to think that they would make such a huge design decision around a sensor that wasn't accurate.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I thought it was odd too how a major feature could be minimized so much. Even when they did the Christie Turlington bit it was more of a human interest story about her than a focus on how to use the watch for fitness training. The video kept mentioning she used the watch to train but didn't give too many specifics. It was almost like the point wasn't fitness but rather a former top fashion model that happens to run marathons now wears the Watch. Odd. I really want to know more about the accuracy of the HRM.

----------

Crazy yes. Also crazy not to keep pointing it out. If it can replace a chest strap that's a huge selling point IMHO.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Some of the reports out of SF today say the software STILL isn't ready! I'm sure we'll hear more as apps are developed to use those sensors. It almost like Apple did their own kickstarter. They announced a vaporware product in September and are scrambling to release it in April. Except instead of collecting money, they took our hopes and dreams :)

10. Ries macrumors 68000

Because optical heart rate monitors are unreliable as hell unless they are strapped somewhat above the wrist and tight to your skin. It is properly only good for walking activity measurements.

Almost all reviews of optical HR monitors say they fail when you actually do sports. Those who don't are 10cm above the wrist strapped tight to your skin using a silicone band.

11. camtechman56 macrumors regular

There were a few things not covered, but I guess they just mainly wanted to get the prices out there so people could go through the change curve faster. you know ( denial, anger, acceptance and etc.etc.) so they could get on with the ordering process:)

12. gcrr macrumors regular

I think something like a Polar chest strap will always be the most accurate.

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

That's what she said.

14. codelode84 macrumors regular

codelode84

Surge

I had a Surge and I found it very accurate compared to chest monitor. I also love featured that showed your resting heart rate over time. I saw a review today that said the apple watch would check your heart rate from time to time. I hope it is continuous like the surge.

15. mbern1008 macrumors regular

I was really hoping it was continuous too but I guess as long as it stays on during exercise and checks once a minute or something like that when not exercising should be sufficient.... maybe? Hoping this won't be the deal breaker for me