why no widgets on iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sneaky butcher, Nov 12, 2011.

1. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

hi , i'm getting my first touch-screen phone soon and was looking at the diffirent options.

i played with my friends phones and theres a mixture of android & iphone. I really like the widgets on the android phones i think its a really cool feature.

is their a reason why apple doesn't do them on the home screens? do you think apple will eventually copy android and provide them?

As a new person to these new fancy phones it seems like a major feature missing for apple.

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Widgets are one of the few things that Apple has not copied yet. I am sure the iPhone 5 will have them available

3. aneftp macrumors 68040

The fifth generation iPhone does not have widgets.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Mine does:p

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Apple doesnt offer them, therefore Apple users dont demand or understand them.

6. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I often join a new forum, make one and only one thread about how great a feature is on a competitor's device and disappear..... Yeah this IS a legit thread.

Widgets.... ZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzz For me they're ok but not needed.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

iWidgets are coming in iOS 6. Apple will tell everyone they are revolutionary. Lol. Jk.

8. moargolems macrumors regular

Battery-hungry, ugly, useless.

And I don't need to see the weather every goddamn minute.

9. sneaky butcher thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry i do have other things to do lol. there was 1 reply when i left.

"not needed" well you could say a lot of the functions of smartphones are "not needed" but its nice to have the option of having them.

apple really forged the way with the touch screen stuff but is in danger of falling behind.

widgets are my favourite feature so far. They stream info onto your home screens or perform functions like switching wi-fi on/off. My friend had his homescreens sort of themed.

like one screen was his "entertainment screen" which had widgets for streaming movie & music news also a mini mp3 player & also shortcuts to launch apps like imdb for cinema schedules. Another screen was "social" themed. Basically had the friendstream widget which you can scroll through and see all your friends facebook updates without launching the app. very nice.

i guess we wont know what apple will do because they so secretive. shame becuase i might hang on for iphone 5 if it had widgets.

10. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

The aw your talking I doubt it took you until 2011 to get your first touch screen phone

11. sneaky butcher thread starter macrumors 6502

well i had a htc touch pro 2 from work which ran winmobile 6.5.

but that was a stylus , resisitive screen job.

i am a huge geek though :)

12. Montanan macrumors member

I used an Android phone for two years before upgrading to iOS ... and I can say with some certainty that while Android widgets can sometimes be pretty, 99% of them are functionally useless in the real world.

13. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

14. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Only widget that would be useful is a power widget having wifi on/off toggle, bluetooth on/off, etc

15. sneaky butcher thread starter macrumors 6502

what about one that displays your data usage on the home screen? so you don't go over your limit. Thought that was handy.

i am more of a gadgety person though.

16. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

MacHumors forum...I tend to feel the same about this place sometimes ;)

17. Andrew.s macrumors regular

Andrew.s

Having been with the first iPhone, 3G and 3GS then going to an android phone I can agree it would be nice to have some of the features from android meshed with iOS. Only because it's what I got used to. Now being back with the iPhone 4S it's no problem not having widgets.

18. macinnv macrumors regular

Agreed these type of on/off widgets are great.

19. kevinof macrumors 6502a

How about one that shows you your email inbox without having to open your mail client so that that its just junk mail and can wait until later?

How about a People widget that shows your favorite contacts and allows you to call or text them without having to open the contacts app/dialer, search and select?

There's lots of good widgets out there. the Weather widget is one I use the least but the above ones and a "tools" widget to switch off/on bt or wifi or whatever are the most useful.

20. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Ought want to try decaf buddy. :eek:

21. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not arguing against widgets, just offering some thoughts:

Not sure I understand the difference between this and new emails in notification center or the new emails in the lockscreen notification?

I can see where this would be handy; at present either use Siri / voice control to call or set up favorites in Phone app for phone calls. Not as clean a non-Siri method for texts AFAIK.

In all the time I had an iPhone4 and my 4S I've rarely felt a need to turn off wifi or bluetooth; both phones easily last(ed) all day on a charge leaving bt & wifi on. If in a low signal area though the small amount of savings might be helpful though.

22. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Don't widgets just provide quick access to things like weather, stocks, emails, ect? That would be the notification center I believe.

23. sneaky butcher thread starter macrumors 6502

no , you can have full screen widgets that display a lot of information. also makes your home screens more interesting i think. Instead of just a row of icons.

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think iOS will see a new UI with ios 6. Hopefully there will be improvements in this area.