Why not get an iphone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Oct 7, 2014.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, so after looking at the 6 the size isn't horrible (I actually prefer a smaller phone) because it's so thin. I still like how my 5 fits in my pocket better (and in my purse). And I think my 5 feels more sturdy.

Now, the reason I ask why not, is I just went to the AT&T store and they are willing to give me 200 for my 5 and 100 for the 4 I still have (I'm amazed they'll give me that much for the 4).

So, seeing as it would cover a 64 GB iphone 6 except for upgrade fees (i'm guessing around 50 bux? I think he said the upgrade fee was 40 and I'm sure they have some other fee to throw in there), is there a reason I should stick with my 5? My biggest issue is superficial, I much prefer the looks of my 5 to the 6. I really liked how the 5 looks and I am not a big fan of curves, I like angles. That and its size. Oh, and the 5 feels more sturdy (and I can attest that it is pretty sturdy, it survived a motorcycle wreck 5 days after I got it, and no, the scratches were not from that. I would have noted as it still was new and shiny and I was using it a lot in the hospital).

Part of me goes I'm not going to get as good value for them next year and the 5 is only getting older (its battery is already noticeably shorter and it has scratches). So if I wait and I have to replace it, I will end up paying more than if I just go ahead and do it now.

I'm also on a tight budget, keeping it is free long as it keeps working. No upgrade fee. And I still get to keep my 4 as a backup phone if something happens (I really don't want to use my 4 though, it was getting annoyingly slow before I replaced it). But this means I get a shiny new phone with a new batter for the price of an upgrade. But I worry it's more fragile so more likely I'll do something to it.

So, why should I stay with my 5 (we're talking money wise, is it wise to go ahead and upgrade or is it better just to risk it and pay nothing at all)?

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Just get the shiny new iPhone and run! $200 trade in on a 5 with crap battery and scratches is a good deal.

3. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Sounds like the deal would work out well for you.

5. BuffordT macrumors regular

Watercolored pictures. Too much noise reduction, too much jpg compression. Get the 5S.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

8. shaunmed macrumors regular

9. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

If you like the 6 go for it.

But there's no point in upgrading a phone you love for a phone you won't like as much. Maybe the 5s is an option? Same form factor but is, on paper the same as the 6 besides the larger screen and slight CPU bump.

When I'm upgrading I always think will I love the new phone as much as the one I currently have. If the answer is no. Then I don't upgrade. Because I'd see it as a waste of cash.

10. accountforit macrumors 6502a

In what way? That its so big, when making a call, your whole head is protected from someone throwing a rock at your face?

You have a point I guess.

11. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

The 5s would have been an option if they had a 64 gb one. I don't want to have to try to figure out the 12 GBs worth of apps I can delete just to be able to go to a smaller iphone. Am already thinking of whether I want to get the 128 GB one.

I already am annoyed the 6 is bigger but decided after seeing it IRL it's at least doable. Why in the world would I want an even bigger phone? If I wanted to accomadate a phone the size of a 6+ I'd rather just get a mini ipad at that point (neither is going to fit in a pocket or my purse well and I'd still need something extra to carry them around so might as well get something that's not compromising size of screen for .. .well not much since it doesn't work for being small enough to be easily portable everywhere either).

12. Bobo03 macrumors regular

You will end up paying for the entire phone over your contract.

The trade doesn't cover your new phone. It covers your contract to receive the phone, you end up paying for that iphone in your service bill.

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I always advocate sticking with the phone you currently have and going prepaid to save $.

Since you have an AT&T 5s you can go with Cricket, H2O, Airvoice, Straight Talk, etc.

p.s. if the iPhone 5's battery is bad you can always order a replacement battery through Apple for $80 or do it yourself for cheaper.

14. techspin macrumors 6502a

I think you'll like the 6 if you try it. :) To me, the 5/5S screen looks strangely cramped now, especially the keyboard.

15. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I went from 5S to 6 with that same logic. You'll never get as good as a deal as you're getting for your 5 and your 4 than now. You should make the leap. Worse case scenario, if you hate your iPhone 6, sell it for a small profit and go buy a used iPhone 5S and you'll still have upgraded and will probably have a few extra bucks in your pocket. You can find used iPhone 4 and 5 for about the same if not less than what At&t is willing to give you, so why not?

----------

I don't think the OP wants to switch networks...

But if you were going to switch Tmo is giving you the competition's best trade-in offer +$50 so you'll land an extra $100 if you switch. I did that and am saving about 36 bucks each month on a 5 phone family plan and that is with a FAN account on At&t.

----------

Things that can be fixed with a software update... that's terrible advice.

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

... which is why I suggested the AT&T MVNO's that I did.

Cricket, H2O, Airvoice, Straight Talk, etc are all on the same (AT&T) network.

17. chrise2 macrumors 6502

I don't really understand this logic. I'm going to pay x dollars to my carrier a month whether i'm on a contract or not. Its not like I'll pay less per month if I buy the phone outright. On Verizon anyway. Unless I'm wrong. Even then, its going to be a wash. give or take.

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

While they are piggybacking off of At&t's Network they're still a different company. I don't think she made any note of wanting to leave At&t.

----------

You can call and request for them to remove the upgrade fee... I've done it many times. It's a ridiculous tactic that should be investigated by the FCC.

19. itjw macrumors 65816

But you CAN fit the + into a pocket, haven't you read the threads?!?

You just have to cram and wrench it in there, jamming and twisting the aluminum as hard as you can (you know, what people call "normal use" after they bend it?). :p

The 6 is an upgrade in every appreciable way from the 5/S minus it's size. If you can deal with it being bigger/thinner/heavier, it's a no brainer.

20. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the replies everyone. I went in today to try to trade in my phone but got chased off to think about it some more when I learned that you don't get the credit towards the 6 but as AT&T credit you can use later (at least I can use it on my future bill though, I've gotten over that part) and that they were going to charge me 80 tax (which at first I was like, that's not 10% of 400 and then I realized he was taxing me on the full price without the subsidy. I looked at my bank records on my computer and my last phones were bought at Apple and they only charged me tax on the price I paid... why is AT&T different?).

Apparently he claimed if they had a phone in stock than I could do a trade of my iphones for it but since I had to order it I had to pay with a credit card and then just get credit later (also, he originally told me doing the trade would nullify tax but I guess that's if I'm using the trade to get the phone where as in this case I have to buy the phone and get credit for my phones later).

I decided at the time I'd go talk to a different AT&T rep sometime later cause to be fair I was kinda confused at why all the sudden the change in how it worked and also the sticker price on tax and I wanted to research it out first. Discovered he's technically right that the deal is you get a credit for AT&T by the deal (and it acts more like a rebate cause you get a code you have to enable before 30 days is up) but still don't know about tax. And why if it works like that that I can use it for the phone if they had one in stock but not if I have to order it... and then he was like, you can come in when we get a shipment, we may get one this week. Certainly by the end of the month we'll get 2 or so iphones (yeah, right kid, you expect me to try to figure out when you get a shipment and manage to either get lucky or make sure I get there before how many other people who want the phone are coming in to get it? I'm not really that desperate for a new phone, was only going for it cause it sounded like a good deal and I love new gadgets so why not?).

Are there any other good deals on trading in iphones besides AT&T?

It's actually lighter than the 5 (it felt so and I checked and it was. But it is not lighter than the 5s which is a decent amount lighter than the 5/6). And the size isn't perfect but it's not a deal killer after looking at it (The 6+ certainly would be though).