Why Obama Can't Close the Sale

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacDawg, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I looked for a place to post this amid all the McCain/Palin bashing threads and couldn't find a suitable venue... so... a new thread. While I don't expect many conservatives to venture in the PRSI to add their voice, at least it will give the rest of you a different slant to attack now.

Apparently, not everyone in the country is enamoured with Mr. Obama and the "changes" he is proposing.

Link to article in the WSJ

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Must every conservative thread be prefixed with a immature whine about how repressed conservatives are?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Why Obama Can't "Close the Sale": He won't be elected for another two months.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Interesting read. Can't say I'm excited about tax increases either.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Seriously? So I guess voting for Bush twice was the "wise" decision?

They lost all credibility after that sentence. But I do agree that Obama is not leading by as much as he should. Sometimes it feels like the American public is like a beaten wife that keeps going back for more...

6. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Wow... I didn't realize there WERE any other conservative threads...
    thanks, that's good to know

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think that voters realize that Obama isn't going to bring about the change he preaches, and that the end of the day, he's just another politician. And McCain is no better.

Honestly, both choices suck.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Yeah, you're right, Are "Republicans" Inherently Selfish? I think they are, is much more mature.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Polls showed Carter and Reagan neck and neck, with Reagan "unable to close the sale" -- until he did, and in a big way.

Remember Dawg, unlike those who post here, most Americans are just now starting to pay attention to the presidential race. Labor day is traditionally when that switch takes place.

Besides, the WSJ opinion page is not exactly an unbiased source... ;)

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Nice.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Neither is the mainstream media, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX News ...

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Republicans don't believe a negative McCain story unless it comes from FoxNews. Democrats don't believe a negative Obama story unless it is written by someone with the last name Huffington. You Barr supporters don't believe a negative Barr story unless ... well, I've never heard of a Barr story, positive or negative. :p

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's because he doesn't spell his name O-b-a-m-a or M-c-C-a-i-n, and his policies have nothing to do with the way DC wants to do things.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There's a reason I won't even read certain threads, much less post in them...

Is the article in question from any of those sources? :rolleyes:

And if you can't distinguish between the political leanings of the op-ed page and the hard news section, I don't know what to tell you.

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Easy killer. Just having a good time. I'm a conservative atheist, which I believe makes a de facto Libertarian and, by extension, a supporter of Barr. I voted for Harry Browne back in 2000. My vote was heard around the world.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It might also have to do with the fact that he's a nut case, but hey...;)

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Gotta love Google and the power to find out more info about the authors. So are Bush White house economic advisers? And they don't like Obama? :eek: :cool:

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I can distinguish between them, but much of the mainstream media is biased, even on their "hard news."

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I know, I wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Links please.

21. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was disclosed at the bottom of the article... no need to Google it :)

The question is, are the points valid, not necessarily who wrote it

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

ha! Tells ya that I stopped before reading the last paragraph! :eek: I stopped around 80% into it. :D

Let me go back and read the whole thing, then I will respond ;)

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Seen it first hand, much of my job is working with the media. When they come to you to cover one story and do interviews for that topic, then report it as something else, something that fits their political agenda (ABC World News did this to me on PTSD), they tend to lose a lot of credibility. If they had just been straight forward about it, then I would feel different.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not that the atrticle doesn't bring up valid points-of-contention (depending on your POV) - but when the authors have that background they have, I am not sure that Obama gets a fair shake...

To me, I find his "knee-jerk" diplomacy to be better than "knee-jerk" unilateral military action - and I don't see why the former makes us less safe.

As for taxes, more taxpayer get tax cuts under Obama's plan than McCains - though in the upper-middle tax brackets your cuts will be less. I don't see that being a horrible thing...

If, as the article says, 38% of Americans don't pay income tax - and that figure is likely to rise to nearly half under an Obama plan - well, by the articles' own characterization - that means nearly half of Americans are in pretty crappy financial situations, which means something isn't right in the economy. If there is such a disparity, then I don't see why progressive taxes shouldn't correct this inequity to a degree.

As for health care - there is no literature out that I am aware of that shows that Government healthcare is more expensive and/or less efficient than private - especially in relation to our current system.

As healthcare costs continue to skyrocket, I really think more and more people will consider backing Nationalized healthcare - if only because McCain's plan is likely to make their financial (and health) situation worse...

As for Energy - Obama has outlined a broader and more defined policy than McCain. Perhaps his 10-year Energy independence plan will fail - but maybe it won't.

I don't think Obama is perfect. But on policy, his are more concise and pragmatic than his opponents, imho.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

nice that every article bashing obama just simply states that his only plan on the economy is to raise taxes, and never mentioning that most of those raises are to the MASSIVE companies that would most likely just end up wiping their asses with it any way, or better yet, giving it to a CEO for finding a way to cut another 2000 people from the company.

also, i see nothing wrong with taxes as long as they go to funding whats important, u know things like healthcare, our collapsing educational system. Oh but what do i know, im just one of those wackadoos thats doesnt genuinely enjoy seeing our money go to war in the name of "victory".

u can claim to be the winner of a war, but was it worth crippling your country?