Why should abortion be legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is why:

The las was meant to protect women from assault, making it possible to charge their attackers with harming their fetus. But, of course, the law is being turned against them. I guess women are simply disposable and deserve to live in fear, or something.

Interestingly, from the same story,
    it appears, so far, that the law is being brought to bear most heavily on women of Asian descent. Perhaps their culture makes them more vulnerable. Which is sad, because I had always thought of the law as something that ought to be used to protect those who have the hardest time protecting themselves.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

3. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I'm confused. Last I checked abortion is legal and this lady didn't get one. What's your issue here? Do you think what she did was ok?

4. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Because life is not intrinsically valuable. Because no matter whether its legal or not, it will always happen for various reasons -- rape, incest, major deformities, health of the mother, inability to care for a child, etc.

Because although in a fairy tale land in a fairy tale world, made up of unicorns, butter flies and marshmallows, only good things happen and all babies are born and live a happy care free life; that's not the world we have.

As much as people are uncomfortable with abortion, its just got to happen.

And for those who claim life is so precious (and every life matters), they should protest the use of cars then. 40,000 people die in the U.S. every year just from driving cars. What about war, drone strikes, the death penalty. Stuff happens, people and fetuses get killed. On purpose too. Get over it. Abortion is and should remain legal. I'm proudly pro abortion. I'm even for retroactive abortions in certain cases. Not pro choice; not pro life. Pro abortion. Those opposing are not pro life (or they would protest wars, death penalty, drone strikes, cars and guns and other dangerous items). They are pro imposing their religious views on others.

5. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

What did she do? She says she had a miscarriage. The evidence seems to suggest that that was what happened. She is being locked up for something her body apparently did of its own accord. Who am I (or anyone else) to judge whether it was ok?

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Why should abortion be legal?

To take the title question seriously...

Because we have dozens of overlapping incentives not to have children. Hot and cold healthcare (including inadequate birth control and prenatal care), unhealthy childcare options (don't work or spend all that income paying for someone else to watch them), and hit or miss education (sorry, you're not in the right zip code for good schools).
    Combine all that with an immature sexual culture and the need to spend 10 years establishing yourself after reaching sexual maturity and pregnancy becomes something to be afraid of, something to avoid, something to terminate at all costs. And once it's that, no one will believe you when you say you didn't.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Not to mention, I hate all the traffic on the way to work. So less people would be better!

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure what to say here. Pass dumb laws and you end up with this.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

For the same reason people are allowed to have guns: it's a constitutional right.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Adding this for more context to this story....

Text messages this woman sent to a friend

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Honestly, not sure what this adds exactly, other than to reinforce how miserable and unwise we humans can be.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I still resent Indiana for Johnny Cougar.

13. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Right, she should have buried it in the yard and no one would have known. Dumpsters are so cliche.

14. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Because even accepting the premise that abortion is immoral, making it illegal does not stop it any more than making drugs illegal stopped drug use. In both cases the product/service simply becomes more expensive and dangerous. The only way to stop abortions is to convince/educate people, not force them.

15. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

prom night dumpster baby, yeah

16. PracticalMac, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The state is claiming she had an ILLEGAL abortion.

Yes, abortion is illegal in nearly all states once fetus is of a certain age.

17. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

I congratulate the guys from Indiana, for putting a crappy law to good use :)

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

... the woman in the story is supposedly 33.

I actual read almost this entire "news" story.
    A lot about it is disturbing, weird and probably just plain bad reporter work.

Everyone seems to ignore the elephant in the room.
    The US law system is out of control!! Sentences like 20 years make no sense.
    They are cruel and unusal.
    In europe, psycho mass murderers have a good chance of getting out earlier.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That the same person?

That changes everything.

Child Endangerment is not Abortion.
    And there is evidence she induced the miscarriage.

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The one thing that would make this illegal would be the fact she forced miscarriage during the 3rd trimester, which would officially make this an issue of child endangerment. If it were early in the pregnancy, there wouldn't be an issue to contend.

Nor should there ever be one.

21. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Yes