Why should I buy Applecare for my new Ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AbyssImpact, May 4, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

I've not heard of to many iPads "breaking down". A lot of iPads are damaged by users just dropping them :rolleyes:

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Because it gives you an addition year of warranty if something does happen after Apple's free 1 year (limited) warranty.

4. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

Did you get it through best buy? They have a good warranty that protects against drops and accidents.

5. ani23 macrumors 6502

Get wag insurance instead. Covers theft and breakage.

6. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

The thing is, you never know. I would, just in case

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

How much is it?

Or just wait till 8 months into ownership, and then sell your iPad2 for the amount you paid for it, minus what Apple charges for another years warranty.

Then buy a new iPad2 with the money.

Not only do you then have a new iPad
    But you also have a whole fresh years warranty again

And it's cost you no more than buying extra warranty from Apple.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I don't really think it's necessary on an iOS device to be honest. Any defects your iPad has will most likely be picked up in the first few months or so which is covered. After that they are pretty solid. Don't forget that accidental damage isn't covered under Apple Care so if you are concerned about dropping it etc, insurance would be a better bet.

9. Zeos macrumors 6502

Don't bother. The chances of your ipad malfunctioning after year one are small. Plus, you'll probably break it or upgrade it before it dies on its own.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You should buy it because Apple needs more profit per unit.

11. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Buy insurance instead. A small amount more than applecare, but you can throw it at the wall and drown the remains in toilet, they will send you a new one.

I got me Squaretrade insurance for something like 75 bucks, for 2 years.

12. Cantisama macrumors member

I have three year squaretrade warranty with accidental damage for my iPad 1 and I still bought AppleCare right before my first free year expired. My iPad 1 had weird screen defects that didn't start appearing until 10 months of use (before that the screen was perfect). With squaretrade I would have had to file a claim, send them my iPad, wait for them to receive and analyze it, then wait for them to either fix/ship it back or send me a check for the cost of the iPad. With AppleCare I made an appointment at the closest Apple store, brought them my iPad, showed them the problem, and walked out with a swapped iPad. No waiting, no time where I was without an iPad, simple and easy.

AppleCare can only be extended a year and doesn't cover accidental damage so I'm still keeping the squaretrade warranty, but the convenience of dealing with AppleCare makes it worth a double-dip.

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Check your credit card extended warranty benefit first.

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Another great idea. Bought mine with Amex. No accident coverage, but you may be able to get a replacement for a year past manufacturer's warranty.

15. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

16. madat42 macrumors regular

If you're planning on buying an iPad 3 when it comes out sometime next year (maybe), then I'd stick with the standard warranty. However, if you're sticking with iPad 2 for the long run, getting the extended warranty is a good idea. I bought the extended warranty for my 3GS phone and have had it replaced twice now for case cracking (not due to dropping) and a screen failure. Stuff happens, especially in the 2nd year. :)

17. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

If you do buy it, don't get it from Apple. Amazon sells Applecare for iPad for $69, rather than Apple's price of $99. It looks like you can also buy it for less than $60 on eBay.

Buying from Amazon is a no-brainer. And, while eBay sounds scary for something like this, it has worked out great for me. I saved a bunch on my MacBook Pro Applecare plan from an eBay seller. It activated perfectly on Apple's website and I put it to the test when my MBP needed a motherboard replacement.

18. DaveF macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't.

When we bought our iPhones last summer, I did a cost analysis of the AppleCare, AT&T service, and out-of-warranty costs. I assumed the most likely failure past the first month would be from being dropped or spilled liquid -- neither of which are covered under warranty -- it's cheaper to have it repaired by Apple out of warranty. I assumed the same result for our iPad.

19. Cantisama macrumors member

The bill for my recent iPad repair (64GB 3G iPad 1) where the screen was defective and they had to swap for another device was about $370, so having AppleCare was cost effective. And the screen defect didn't appear until almost a year after purchase.

^ Nice catch on Amazon selling it cheaper. I didn't have a choice but to buy it from the Apple store for $79 + tax, it was like 2 days until my 1 yr expired and I wouldn't have been able to order online, receive the care package, and activate in time.