Why Snowden refuses to use an iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Snowden doesn't use an iPhone because Russia isn't selling them anymore. Smartphones all come with that feature. I wonder they single Apple out...

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Snowden + Apple = Clickbait heaven (most articles on Business Insider)

He uses a "dumb" phone anyway. There may, or may not be a way to turn on the MIC of a dumb phone. :eek:

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Business Insider lies just north of the National Inquirer on the credibility scale.

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

MIB's Agent K thinks highly of the supermarket tabloids.:D "Best investigative reporting on the planet. But go ahead, read the New York Times if you want. They get lucky sometimes." Good gawd, it's already been 17 years since that movie was release. It didn't seem that long ago... Now I feel old.:(

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Snowden doesn't get an iPhone because it's 100000000 rubles currently.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You realize that this applies to all smartphones right?

But iphones = clickbait.

Snowden is not stupid, he understands that all smartphones have the ability to be tracked. Android, which is driven by Google's ad serving business, is geared entirely towards tracking a user....for advertising.

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

what a tard

its probably easier for the government to track your whereabouts using a dumb phone then an iPhone. as soon as you turn that phone on, the wireless company keeps detailed records of your whereabouts for 3 to 7 years.

if i was snowden i would go back to payphones and calling cards

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh...reviewing some of the documents he's released via the Intercept and others, the man is very aware of how cell phone tacking works.

That's far from being a "tard"

But hey, I guess a cellphone that only can get you the cell tower level, verses a smartphone with GPS, ad cookies that can locate you, geotagging that can locate you, a web browser full of ad services that are tracking everything from version number to IMEI, is such a dumb move.

You're right, the smartphone has waaaaay less vectors of surveillance and attack than a cellphone. :rolleyes:

9. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

the cell phone companies towers are as good as GPS that is why they use cell phone towers for AGPS. the cell phone companies retain your coordinates for god knows how long.

once you turn on any cell phone and that phone communicates with a cell phone tower.you lost your expectations of privacy

jodi arias did not have an iPhone. they tracked her.

case closed

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, A-GPS (Assisted GPS) is not just as good, its a good fall back.

We're arguing semantics here though. It's true that any cellphone is susceptible to tracking. I'm just stating that after seeing some of the documents he released, I'd be less inclined to say that a smartphone is more secure than a cellphone. There's a reason all "burners" are regular dumbphones.

We're on the same page though, if you don't want to be tracked, don't use a cellphone smart or dumb.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Agent K also thought these would replace CDs:

[​IMG]

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wonder if they still have payphones in Russia? The only payphones I have seen in the U.S. lately have been in deep canyons in the mountains.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd guess that would have far more to do with price than security...