Why so many people bought the rMBP if most applications are not ready?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I am hesitating to order the 15" rMBP because I heard that most of the applications look very bad on this machine. If that is the case, why so many people are buying it? Don't they have a problem with the display or the lag?

2. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's why I generally test things out myself before purchasing, a lot of people on the internet say a lot of things, and those who think they have a lot to complain about talk even more. Something that works for me and I'm more than willing to put up with could be completely unusable to you, buy what you want and what works for you.

4. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

Maybe the smart thing to do at this point would be making a trip into an Apple store and seeing if the applications you use on a regular basis look too bad for you to bear. Otherwise wait or get a different machine.

I bought mine because I needed a new computer, I tried it out in the Apple store and I absolutely loved it. Getting a regular MBP with the same specs, larger machine and no retina screen for the same price seems plain idiotic to me.

5. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

There is no lag.

I'm sure the demand has nothing to do with the fact that its much thinner, lighter, has the best screen currently available outside of OLED class displays, and makes the original MBP look like the fat drunk chick at a bar. :rolleyes:

6. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Don't troll too much cuz you may get 2 dead pixels in your second rMBP :p

----------

It is completely idiotic to me to buy the regular MBP and SSD @Apple...

Also, spending $3000 for a computer that lasts in 3 years (End of AC warranty) is not reasonable :rolleyes:

7. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

Fixed.

8. ryane67 macrumors member

I saw all the complaints here, went to the store to play with it myself and found I did not see what the big deal was about. Instead I saw a really great machine and gateway for me to get into the mac realm so I bought despite the internet complaints.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I am not seeing any sort of lag, but I am using it on the "best for retina" setting and not pumping up the resolution.

Even though most apps are not updated yet, the most frequently used things are (such as Safari and Mail). And the web already looks great for retina, even pages that haven't been updated look pretty good and text is super sharp.

It is also a very speedy computer, probably the best I have ever used (my old QC iMac included).

Once office suites and Photoshop are updated for retina, then that will cover the remainder of what I personally use.

In the mean time, it is still the best computer money can buy and it will only get better with more apps. I don't buy a computer for the next few weeks, I buy it for a year or more. With that said, I would not commit to old technology just because the apps to make the new stuff work even better wont be out for a few months.

10. flipnap macrumors 6502

is there a secret timer inside the case that fries the motherboard after three years? i dont get it..

11. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I love using Pro Tools in the higher resolution settings. Let's me see both mix and edit windows on the same screen without having them sized unreasonably small.

12. elephant stone macrumors newbie

You do know that a computer doesn't automatically stop working once the warranty runs out, right? :confused:

I've not had a chance to see a rMBP personally, but I'd wager those who have are hoping that the software side of things gets sorted out as soon as possible and are prepared to wage a bit of lag and blur (if indeed it is present and/or noticeable) until then.

Like someone suggested, pop into a shop have a look at the display and check if the programs you use frequently are compatible with a retina display. It's up to you at the end of the day to assess you can live with the blur/lag and the possible lack of compatibility with regards apps.

13. flipnap macrumors 6502

who said ANYTHING about buying it at apple?

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

All depends where you are on your journey with Apple.

Sounds like your still at that Rationale and logical stage.... enjoy it while it lasts.

In the more advanced stages, you will watch Tim on stage, and buy whatever he demos.... it will be sexy, amazing and you MUST have it...there and then, waiting for the store to open to get your pre-order in. ;)

As a Veteran of Apple, I have moto not to buy Rev A products, I think the next version of the Retina will be the one to get, so happy to wait.

I'd like to say people are buying the Retina, cause they need it, though I think its more of a want/form factor.

----------

Given there is NO after market option available for the retina.... I would say he is right.

15. terraphantm macrumors 68040

There definitely was some lag with Lion. Under Mountain Lion, it's extremely smooth.

Well lag isn't even the right word. It responded just as quick as any other laptop. But it just wasn't as smooth framerate wise.

16. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I bought the new rMBP knowing that most apps would not be ready for it and that there would be some 'bugs'.

Why?

I wanted a machine that was somewhat lighter than the existing cMBP. I didn't really care for any DVD drive since I mostly just purchase software online, download it, and then install it. Hence, I've got most of the install files on my external drive. Probably the main reason was because it was the newest piece of tech from Apple and I was in the market to replace my 2007 MacBook. To me, it was fair to go for the latest and greatest. I'm not too concerned with upgrading any components either. I had my old MacBook for 5 years and I never even bothered to upgrade the HDD from 80 GB to a larger HDD or SSD.

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

it is most definitely not extremely smooth. have you used your RMBP for more than a day? lots of little things start losing FPS all over the place, making it feel slow.

18. flipnap macrumors 6502

MH1, i dont know how you missed his original post, it was only one more up.. he wasnt talking about the retina

see the part where it says "regular MBP"?

19. Abhorred macrumors member

Personally, I purchased it for two primary reasons: 1) resolution scaling - while it is true that none of my most-used applications are Retina-optimized, I benefit from having extra screen real-estate available when it's needed, even if the UI in those programs is a bit jagged at times; and 2) the improvements to the design of the chassis. The machine runs (relatively) cool and quiet, which is impressive given the power of the system.

You really like throwing the "troll" thing around, huh? Seriously, as has been asked before - how are comments like this trolling?

20. arashb macrumors 6502

Because it's not meant for people to bootcamp windows on only to run it at 1440x900 resolution. It's meant for video editing with less compression, and photo editing with outrageous clarity. It's meant for what Apples were originally used for. Not starcraft, WoW, or for people with more money than brains :rolleyes:

21. kahuna0k macrumors member

I did it because after many years complaining about crappy resolutions on macs (always had PC with 1600x1200 or better) every pc manufacturer started moving to 16:9 and reducing the resolution. I know that this is the first iteration and possibly it would not be perfect, but I feel myself in debt with Apple for taking the move that may change the industry, so I pay for it in order to show my support for this new high resolutions display. Ordered my first mac yesterday, it is now in production and it is expected in two weeks. :)

22. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I mean, you could make the reverse argument - that people don't like regular screens now as much as they did before seeing the Retina.

Also, a lot of it revolves around it being the best Apple computer on the market right now. If you need a new computer, this is the one to get. And because most of the issues are software-based, they will be fixed in the future, meaning that there's no reason that the next model will specifically blow this one out of the water.

23. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

With those glued laptops, yes, the probability is higher... :p

You would lose in resell value since they are not upgradable...

24. CFoss macrumors 6502

I needed a fast, portable computer for creating music on the go. The retina not only provides a fantastic screen, but the specs and form factor to keep up.

The apps I use are mostly up to date, and the apps that haven't been updated are still perfectly usable, if slightly blurry. Honestly, I don't mind putting up with a few blurry apps for the year, ESPECIALLY if they're to receive updates.

25. leman macrumors 604

Its $65 per month. I spend more on my internet subscription :rolleyes:

BTW, every computer only lasts until the end of AC warranty