Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Does anyone know for sure why there is a 10-15 day wait on new PowerBooks?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Random speculation on a few sites says its due to the screen issues.

I think its just a backlog because they may have paused production to start preloading them with panther. Mine was backordered 7 days and shipped yesterday.

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Thanks for the reply, Thirteenva. I hope its one of the two. Can you let me know if yours has Panter and any screen issues when you get it? Thanks.

Enjoy your NEW PB!

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
that wait is only on 15in as far as i know..... my 12in order is a 3-5 days timeframe. (waiting...... waiting.......... still no change in my order :( )

the 15in screen problems have become an issue for many people.

My campus computer store has had 5 of7 PB 15in returned to apple due to screen issues including the demonstration model. This is in stark contrast to talks I've had with the local B.MAC (a Mac Chain here in Canada) who claimed not to have returned any.

check out this article on the 15in PB problems

http://www.macworld.com/2003/12/reviews/15inchpowerbookg4s/

cheers
m

thxac3

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2003
Texas (for now)
I picked mine up from the local Apple store yesterday. Just walked in and told them what I wanted, and walked out with it within 20 minutes. The sales guy told me he has only seen one return for the screen issue...sounds hard to swallow from what I've been reading in these boards.

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wow, if you try to do a build-to-order with the 5400 rpm drive, that kicks the wait time to 5-7 weeks... just in time for christmas...

Maybe they're running out

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
What's going on? Why the short of supply? Has this happened before?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I did receive my new powerbook. It did not have panther preinstalled nor did it have cd's for it.

I did not have screen issues, HOWEVER, i did send it back for exchange due to some other quality issues.

1) The computer wobbled immensely when typing. It did not sit flat on my desks, like it was warped.

2) i was unable to open the ram expansion bay due to one of the screws having a stripped head. Other 3 screws looked fine.

3) Cd Drive made a noise upon waking from sleep and intermittently during use. Sounded like it does when it loads a cd. No cd was in the drive. The one i looked at in the apple store, and the reseller down the road did not do this after waking from sleep. Anyone else seen this?

Sad thing is the screen was great, very bright I almost did not want to send it back because i was happy the screen was 98% problem free (small, small dark spot about 4 pixels big).

The wobbling drove me mad, i sure hope the new one does not wobble.

Anyone else have any of these issues.

I was very disappointed. Had a got a good one, seems like it would have been a great upgrade from my Rev A tibook which has served me well for 3 years.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I've heard of the wobbling from one or two people, but I think they were 12"s. My optical drive tries to spin up when I open the PB, but not try to eject of load a nonexistent disc. My display is absolutely beautiful, not a single problem. Well, a slight warp, but it doesn't bother me.

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Thirteenva, sorry to hear about your PB. Was your Powerbook ordered through Apple (ie. Online Store, Retail Store, Apple or Phone Order). Or was it another retailer? Also what size did you get?

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
I ordered through a reseller whom i've dealt with before and trust, the fact that my powerbook had some issues in no way reflects on the reseller. Sometimes you just get a 'lemon'.

The reseller quickly responded to my problems and offered his apologies and to ship a replacement if i shipped him back the first one. He said he has not had a return on a 15 inch powerbook yet.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Don't know about the wobbling.

I initially thought I had a case of the wobbles with my new 12", but it turns out the surface was not flat enough - with every other flat surface I have used it on, it is as sturdy as a rock.

EZRyde

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Thirteenva it's nice to have a reseller you can trust. It seems they got you covered which is excellent! I was just asking where you got it from to figure out why it didn't come with Panther. If you had recently gotten it from Apple, then I know Panther wouldn't be installed if I ordered one.

I'm thinking about getting a 15" PB, but there is a 10-15+ day wait. I'm not sure if the wait is due to the screen problems they are having or if Apple was preinstalling Panther. This sucks, I wish Apple will come out and say. The other PB's ship the same day. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll just wait.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Re: Don't know about the wobbling.

Originally posted by OziMac
I initially thought I had a case of the wobbles with my new 12", but it turns out the surface was not flat enough - with every other flat surface I have used it on, it is as sturdy as a rock.

My initial thought was maybe my desk was a little less than flat, but i tried it on multiple surfaces at work and home, including a glass table i know to be flat and level, and it still wobbled.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by EZRyde
Thirteenva it's nice to have a reseller you can trust. It seems they got you covered which is excellent! I was just asking where you got it from to figure out why it didn't come with Panther. If you had recently gotten it from Apple, then I know Panther wouldn't be installed if I ordered one.

I'm thinking about getting a 15" PB, but there is a 10-15+ day wait. I'm not sure if the wait is due to the screen problems they are having or if Apple was preinstalling Panther. This sucks, I wish Apple will come out and say. The other PB's ship the same day. Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll just wait.

Mine was backordered 7 days. So they must have shipped it as soon as they got it from apple. As to why panther is not pre-installed, i don't know. I was able to order the upgrade through the applestore, but it sucks that even after its release they're still selling the computers with jaguar.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Originally posted by Thirteenva
Mine was backordered 7 days. So they must have shipped it as soon as they got it from apple. As to why panther is not pre-installed, i don't know. I was able to order the upgrade through the applestore, but it sucks that even after its release they're still selling the computers with jaguar.
That's probably until the stock that has Jaguar installed is all gone.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Originally posted by Counterfit
That's probably until the stock that has Jaguar installed is all gone.

Possibly, but I also remember with jaguar that people who purchased after the release found that there were upgrade cd's in the box.

Mine had 10.2.7 installed and the cd was for 10.2.7 also.

Just seems weird to me, but not a major issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.