Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
From what I've heard, they're locked into an exclusive contrct with Toshiba, (the maker of the drives, duh) and they don't currently have a 5400rpm one.

But there's nothing stopping you from putting one of those bad-ass 7200rpm 80GB IBMs in next year.
grinning.gif

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Why the 4200 rpm HD?

Originally posted by MacRoni
Just wondering:confused:

Usually they run cooler and have similar data transfer rates, the faster RPM-wise have smaller seek-times (usually) while they run hotter and soak up more watts.

So a reduction in RPM-rates for portables is not a bad thing if the allow people to run cooler and longer.

Though with a highly fragmented drive, you will notice a slowdown in transfer rates as your drive chatters away.

Since seek times are so small you won't normally notice it too darn much, data transfer rates still are very noticable - as is heat and power hungry drives.

---

Sort of like MHz, faster isn't alway better - since there are a huge number of other variables that also affect the use.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by edvniow
From what I've heard, they're locked into an exclusive contrct with Toshiba, (the maker of the drives, duh) and they don't currently have a 5400rpm one.

Actually V, Toshiba does make a 5400 rpm HD. Its found here: click me . Ironically, it has a 16MB :eek: buffer!!!

Barefeats recently compared this Toshiba drive with the IBM Travelstar 40 GNX, and the IBM was better. The benchmark is found here

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Ah so they do.

But it's only a 40GB while the 4200rpm one is 60GB.

I think they were considering size over speed in this case.

There's alwayz that heat issue though, I'm not sure how a 7200rpm drive would fair in a 1-inch thick laptop. Maybe it's destined for those garish 'desktop replacement' PC notebooks that seem to be the trend right now. Ugh.

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
Specifications on Powerbook Amaze

The 4200 drive is a powerful storage device in a machine like the Powerbook, and clearly meets the specifications Apple set out.

The amazing thing is that Apple consistantly has refused to get on this MHz and RPM merry-go-round.

It's moot... the most ridiculous thing of all is that my brother's Mac LC520 runs better than most non-Apple hardware and software of today. He even has a laser printer he picked up as junk because PC's couldn't run it. He plugged it in, and presto, it worked.

I was looking at some of the Specifications of the new GigaHz PowerBook, and wow, simply wow! Same great appearance, with a Jaguar Jungle under the hood! It's not like Apple is intent to rule the roost, they had to go and produce what once again is bound to prove to be the most amazing portable Supercomputers on the planet.

That Superdrive seems a tad unexpected by us, but MacRumors once again hit the mark by putting the correct emphasis on the possibilities and did not let go when some other sites sucumbed to the MWSF venue as the roll out site.

SuperDrives in Powerbooks... definitely MacRumor. Steve Jobs and the hardworking folks at Apple do it again.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
My guess is, Apple's choice was to
A: charge more,
B: put a smaller faster HD in,
C: put a bigger slower HD in.

Apple clearly wanted price cuts, so A is out. Then choosing between B and C, most computer illiterate people dont even know HDs come in different speeds, so marketting is better for a bigger slower drive. Not to mention HDs are so fast anyway, you can make due with a little bit slower drive. If you run out of space on the other hand you are screwed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.