Why The 5C is Better Than The 5 And 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Yes - The 5C is basically the 5 with a plastic shell. But in my opinion it's much more than that. I believe the iPhone 5C has 5 main reasons for why it's better than the iPhone 5

1) Better battery life
    2) Better LTE bands (as a Verizon customer who travels internationally, this is big)
    3) Better FaceTime camera (front camera)
    4) More durable (without a case) and won't scuff
    5) The front is always black (which looks better when using your phone over long periods of time [I hated my White 4S compared to my Black 5])

I know many hate the 5C but I feel like it's the last phone I want to own. I don't want to have to slap a case over my device and with the 5 and 5S you're pretty much asking for scuffs unless you have a case.

The 5S has a powerful processor (won't be relevant until next year when iOS 8 comes into play) and a finger scanner. I think the scanner is cool but not a deal breaker. And a "better" camera? I guarantee if you take pictures with the 5C vs 5S no one would be able to tell the difference. The 5S may be the SMALLEST update ever.

The original iPhone (through the 3GS) was plastic because I believe that's the way they intended it to be for durability. Aluminum looks better (and that's an opinion, not a statement) but with the single piece of plastic I think the design is still beautiful.

Won't be getting a funky color though, I'll stick with the white.

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I think you make a valid point. As my Fiancee and I watched the keynote last night, the 5C came out as a great, well designed phone. I'm actually not upgrading from my 5 this time around, but my Fiancee has a 4S which is starting to show it's age, and she say's she'd be happy with a 5C. It's affordable, by all accounts durable, and the choice of colours more varied than previous iterations.

I think Apple have made a very smart move here. Of course, I'd like the 5S, but I would not be disappointed if I got handed a 5C. :)

3. rmeadejr macrumors 6502a

rmeadejr

you made good points, but i'm going to get the 5s.

also, The back of the original 1st generation iPhone was made of aluminum with a black plastic accent.

4. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

So what's better about the 5c compared to the 5s as the title says? :p

5. weckart macrumors 601

I love it when people who cannot have any possible way of knowing GUARANTEE something.

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I can't say, but I was listening at the Engadget Mobile podcast and they were really excited about the iPhone 5C. They said that it felt great, had a superb built quality, unlike anything else you have ever seen and it had great colors.
    I am still getting an iPhone 5S but it seems that Apple really made a very smart move, by refreshing the whole iPhone line.
    Hardware and software work together and this is apparent with iOS 7 and the new iPhone 5C.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

A larger aperture and the two-tone flash, and the OP thinks there will be NO DIFFERENCE in pictures taken? Even with all the software enhancements to the camera, like motion stabilization? You could maybe make this argument for a shot outdoors in the sunlight, but I'm willing to be there will be a big low-light improvement. Also, the 5S has slow-mo video.

8. Synaesthesia242 macrumors member

The 5S will be twice as fast in CPU and GPU performance. Quite an amazing feat from the iPhone 5!

9. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Another reason why I think people should love the 5C is it's profit margin is greater than 50%. :D This is good for Apple and all shareholders. That's probably why Apple is really pushing this one hard over the 5S with pre-orders and greater visibility in current sales promotions and advertising.

10. Warcake macrumors regular

I'm curious as to how you can guarantee they'll have the same camera performance when no samples have been shown. Either you work for apple, or you're talking out of your anus. My guess is the latter.

11. Skika macrumors 68030

People should love the 5C because its overpriced? lol

12. MandyAW92 macrumors member

Can someone explain to me why you would get a 5S, i can't see where the upgrades are compared to the 5C

13. atlatnesiti Suspended

Happy to help:
    www.apple.com

14. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

1: New gen A7 chip, 40% laster than the last one (and the 5C)
    2: Its 64bit, it may not mean much at the moment but time will tell if going 64bit will futureproof the 5s.
    2: M7 motion co-processor
    3: Touch Id Fingerprint scanner
    4: 2x graphics performance
    5: Significant improvements to the rear camera optics, sensor, processing and available features.
    6: Better worldwide 4G support
    7: erm, it comes in Gold now

If Apple had put this hardware into a new chassis people would love it.

From someone who has owned every iPhone till now, i've always found the S models that others scoff at to be significantly better than their predecessors and i can't see this being any different.

The simple fact is, that unless you prefer how the 5c looks or need something slightly more rugged, the 5s is simply a much better phone for not a lot more money.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

16. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

I like the 5C. It's modern and stylish and while not being "cheap" is competitively priced.

I hate the new covers though.

Not only do they look peculiar but it's not a practical design either. Imagine all the dust and crap that's going to collect around the cut outs? Keys and crap will get hooked on those covers easy!! And I wonder how it will feel in the hand? Can't imagine it would feel very natural...

Thoughts?

17. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

If it came with a white bezel I'd buy the white

18. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I am not sure who you are trying to convince, but the 5C is not a better phone than the 5S.

The 5S isn't a massive advancement over the iPhone 5 & 5C, but it is more advanced and has a higher specification & better internals. Therefore the 5S is the best iPhone to date.

19. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Yeah those of us who are not buying the 5C but want Apple to succeed for whatever reason. It will prove to be an acceptable price for the market to bear therefore when it becomes one of the best ever selling iPhone models it will be proven to be reasonably priced.

20. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I do think the iPhone 5c is a great move. If going off Nokia's Lumia phones, then Apple's use of Polycarbonante, it will be one solid device.

21. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Without a case the 5C will be far superior than the 5S. No doubt about it.

Yes, the 5S has better internals...I don't really think anyone will notice a difference until next year when they start cycling out the 5C and the 5S will be considered normal...and the 6 will be great. (But until then no one will notice "speed" differences)

And the camera? I want people to post side by side pictures because the margin of growth in camera updates is getting smaller and smaller every year...so I don't think the 5S will be any different (unless you love shooting Slow Motion videos).

Just my opinion though.

22. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

I don't really understand how the 5th one makes the 5c better than the 5 or 5s.

If you prefer a black screen.. just.. buy the black 5 or 5s.. or space gray or whatever the hell it's called.

I can only see that being a legitimate reason if the black front wasn't available on the 5 or 5s, which it is..

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

"Better face time camera" is a negative if I have better video of myself to look at.

24. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I feel like the OP is trying to justify his wanting the 5C. Many of the "facts" stated are false, and one has to be kidding themselves if they think the camera difference isn't going to noticeable.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

IDK, hated how the plastic scratched & cracked easily on my 3GS even w/ a case most of the days when compared to my 4S that looks pristine to this day.