Why the confusion about Global Warming

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Dec 12, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I became environmentally aware during the mid 70's, became an activist by 1980. Initially I was focused on river related issues. However, there becomes a time when you begin to see the overall interaction of everything we call earth.

'Back in the day', it was easy enough to slime us by calling us 'environmentalists'. But, as time went by, the name was diluted because to many people had become aware of the many issues there were. So, to separate us, we became known as environmental extremists. It is always important to demean your foe by using name calling.

I did not mind. I knew the battle for the planet would eventually be won. The truth was on our side, and there was no personal gain we were taking. Those aligned against the earth were those wanting to make a profit from it. Through education, we had made a great deal of headway. Then Bush came to power. His administration began to roll-back over two decades of work.

Today, there is overwhelming evidence of how the administration, by way of the political appointee hacks, have engaged in a process, which always aims to focus doubt on science. This leads many Americans to adopt a position, "well that is just their opinion". Well, they are not opinions, they are facts.

Attached is a Report from the Congress. They held two different investigative committees about this. Those of you who actually care whether your government is lying to you, should find this very interesting. Much of it has never been made public.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It ain't just in the climate change arena that they've been supression science in the name of Republican ideology...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Apparently, Bush isn't alone. Its another vast right-wing conspiracy!

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're confusing two separate issues.

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's really disgusting how much FUD has gotten thrown around which, unfortunately, but effectively "repositions global warming as theory instead of fact" (as Al Gore puts it).

An overwhelming percentage of scientists agree with the "theory", but others (for their own selfish reasons) have managed to create a terrific atmosphere of doubt surrounding the issue. Further...it's easy to doubt it, because if you doubt it, it gives you an excuse to be lazy and do nothing.

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

No, there is really only one. It has gone on for a couple decades, and has been championed by those who's personal greed extends beyond their sense of citizenship. These are attributes of authoritarians, which are almost always conservatives. So, that is why is usually appears to be a case of a right-wing conspiracy. The truth is out there for anyone who wants to know it. What I find is, most of those who do not accept it, are praying to God they are right. But, secretly, they are hoping to make make theirs, and it is still not too late.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, we just need to keep looking on Crooks and Liars. ;)

More evidence of the conspiracy......http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=3982079

8. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

The simple answer to your question: the rise of right-wing talk radio. Imagine how much different things would be if Rush Limbaugh had gone to jail (as anyone else would have) when busted for Oxycontin shopping. Sure, others would take his place, but he seems to be the alpha dog among the right-wing commentators and arguably has the most rabid followers. They will forgive him of seemingly anything without catching the inherent contradiction and then do exactly as he says (not as he does).

I may be overly pessimistic--I'd love to be proven wrong here--but I don't think there will be a solution to the current political divisions until right-wing talk radio is pulled from the airwaves.

9. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I guess I am totally missing your Crooks and Liars Point.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nice to know that you support that whole freedom of speech thing.........:rolleyes:

11. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Do I detect a dittohead?

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think it's more willful ignorance on the part of many and of an uncertainty as to what can be done--and even if doing anything will have any effect.

The reason the Shrub and company willfully ignore the problem is that it will cost their constituents a LOT of money--and that's as far as they look, seemingly ignoring any impact to the planet that does not affect us RIGHT NOW.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You said that the truth is out there for anyone who wants to know. It was just a jab at you since you seem to post a lot of stories from that site here, and that I would find the truth on Crooks and Liars. All in fun.:D

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Do I detect someone who wants to take away freedom of speech?

15. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

LOL! (the sky is falling, OMG! the sky is falling!). :p:p:p
    wait a moment - where's the smilie for 'getting popcorn'?

16. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

People think that what the gov't and its agencies (*cough*NASA*cough*) say, must be true. But the truth is... The United States government is lying to its people and denying the truth. The climate crisis is real and any deniers need to go home and !@#% themselves.:mad:

I swear, when I get enough money, I'm moving to the UK and leaving this corrupt government. :mad:

17. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

ROTFLMAO! (move already!)

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Hey I wouldn't have pegged you as Slayer fan. :)

But seriously, "pulled" from the airwaves? Come on.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Wow way to forego the whole scientific process

The UK government is becoming very overbearing.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Stop and think for one second about how well that would work. Suddenly they'd have a rational reason to feel persecuted.

The surest way to strengthen right wingnuttery would be to try to ban it from the radio. Can you imagine the cries of "the liberals are out to get us"?

And the thing is, they'd be right.

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

You don't think our gov't is corrupt?

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Now there is a constructive argument if I've ever heard one.

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Son, all politicians are corrupt. ALL! :(

24. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Your defensiveness answered my question.

The FCC regulates political speech and insists on equality of time between the two parties. There is no such things currently, although I'm sure you'll debate this point. I'm not talking about limiting anyone's free speech, just abiding by the FCC regulations.

This is one area where the right-wing mantra "the market takes care of everything" is only applicable if you happen to be a right-winger, where unfairness isn't considered a vice but a virtue.

25. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

haha.

Yeah I believe that the government isn't paying enough attention to climate change and the environment in general.

There's no money in it.