Why the fonts, tables and figures of a pdf document look fuzzy under Preview?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hajime, May 27, 2009.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I received an unpublished article in pdf format. On my MBP running 10.5.5, the tables, captions and figures looked fuzzy (out of focus) when I viewed the document using Preview. The main text looked fine. However, they all looked clear when I viewed the document using Acrobat Reader. Anybody knows what is happening and how to solve the problem? Thanks.

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Well firstly, it wouldn't hurt to run Software Update.

Secondly, is the text still fuzzy when you zoom into the PDF?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You do not have a problem.

4. MacRUK macrumors newbie

Yes I too find as you zoom in, fuzzy PDF's become clearer.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the advice. I hesitate to update to the latest version as some users have problems after upgrading. Last time I upgraded my OS, some of the letters under Preview were changed automatically. I was told that a bug on font type was introduced in that update.

I have the same document being displayed side-by-side on the same screen. One opened under Acrobat Reader and the other opened under Preview. The documents are both displayed at about 125% of the original size. The figures, tables and captions under Acrobat look sharper and clearer. However, they look like their were scanned images under Preview. Even I zoom-in the document under Preview further, they still do not look as good as their counterparts under Acrobat Reader.

By the way, is there any advantage of setting Preview, rather than Acrobat Reader, as the default pdf viewer?