Why the iPhone still rocks (quit the moaning)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TC03, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TC03 macrumors 65816

Apple's been given a lot of criticism lately. To be honoust, I've had it with all this criticism. Not that I don't think it's valid (some is, some isn't), it's just that I've grown tired of people being so critical on the iPhone. I'm just not interested in it anymore, I just want to enjoy my phone and be happy with it, even though it's not perfect.

That's why I decided to make a thread where we can praise our iPhone. Again, this is not a thread for moaning and critizing. If you feel the need to do so, please go to one of the many other threads. I'm sure you can start a great discussion there.

So, after all these years, why do you still love your iPhone? Why do you think it's still by far the best smartphone out there? You can name whatever you like, you can name the usual suspects (ecosystem) or the small details that almost no one notices except you.

I'll go first.

- I love that fonts render more nicely in iOS than in Android
    - I love the edge-to-edge glass on the front, it's very clean, elegant. Almost no other phone has this 'purity'
    - I love that Apple's app icons are way more beautiful than Googles
    - I love the blue of the iMessage balloons, it's exactly the right color
    - I love the fact there's almost no input lag when scrolling (Android still has it, no matter what people say, it's there)
    - I love how snappy Safari feels (I'm not kidding ;))
    - I love how elegant the lock screen notifications are
    - I love how the home screens on iOS look so colorful, crisp yet clean. It's not 'stale', it's elegant!
    - I love the weather widget, it's very informative and smartly hidden. (HTC Sense, I'm looking at you with your big ass weather clock which is very intrusive but does not give a lot of information at all)
    - I love how simple and intuitive Facetime is. I like it better than Skype.
    - I love turn-by-turn navigation on Apple Maps. A lot has been said about Apple Maps, but they really nailed it when it comes to turn-by-turn.
    - I love the camera on my iPhone 5. The photos are amazing and always very sharp.
    - I love how intuitive and functional the Music app is. I really have never seen anything alike on any mobile device. Not even close.
    - I love the layouts of each contact in the contacts app. It's really like a 'card', rather than a list view of some export from some database.
    - I love the layouts of the settings menu. It's nicely grouped and (again) elegant. Things are easy to find and it's not cluttered at all.
    - I love the mail app. It's fast, it's functional. I know there are alternatives, I've tried them, but they don't match the stock mail app.
    - I love the feeling that iCloud backups my phone every night. It makes me feel comfortable knowing that I'll never really lose anything.

2. PhilMcCracken macrumors member

I love iOS as much as you. I don't hate Android, but I prefer iOS. So I agree with you, but I will just sick back and eat my popcorn while this saga gets going....again.

3. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

No saga. This is just for people who like their phone and want to say what they like. It's not meant for discussion. :)

4. PhilMcCracken macrumors member

Like I said, I agree with you, but the Android loves are going to come in here and tell you why Android is better, and what Android had before iOS.

5. SprSynJn, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

SprSynJn Guest

The elegance that you mention is the reason I prefer most of Apple's products versus others. It has been since I got my very first iPod. Stability has also been a key factor for me as of late. I got an iPhone 5 at the end of last year, and I love it. I have a six year old MacBook that still works great, after a memory upgrade and three OS updates. I see no reason to get anything else.

By the way, I can not for the life of me see why iTunes is so hated. It's awesome as far as I'm concerned. I shudder to think of using anything else.

6. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

Well said! I agree with you 110%. :D

7. SprSynJn Guest

Also, does anyone else think that Apple really does think of the developers when programming their OS? It seems to me, from looking at my coworker when he's using his Android, that Apple wants people to actually open apps. Android seems to want users to not have to in order to get things done. I'm referring to notifications and widgets when making that assumption. Most things on that platform can be done without even leaving a window. What are the point of apps in that case?

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

9. bengtc macrumors regular

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The fact that you were compelled to post a "still rocks" thread is evidence Apple is slipping on the innovation and quality fronts.

But hey, keep your insecurities momentarily at bay with these postings if it helps you get through another day. Just try to see all those dents, dings, and scratches as 'added character'. :rolleyes:

11. dvoros macrumors 6502

Get Real

Apple is losing ground rapidly and is now in full retreat mode. Wake up and read the news and the consumers comments. Apple is arrogant and therefore will is losing the battle with smartphones. Maybe all they will be remembered for is the iWatch. No wait! Samsung will release theirs first. Sorry Apple.:eek:

12. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

How many times does this word get written here everyday? Peoples expectations on getting products with "innovation" as often as they want it is too unrealistic.

13. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe, maybe not. I don't really care how Apple is doing. How does that affect the daily usage of my phone? The iPhone is still an extremely good phone, in my opinion even the best available.

I want to use this thread to decouple all the negative rants about Apple from the experiences of daily usage. As long as scrolling is as smooth as it is, I don't care about the stock price. As long lock screen notifications are as awesome as they are, I don't care whether other phones may or may not have bigger and better screens. I don't care for the lack of innovation as long as Safari is as fast as it is.

This is not about figuring out what's lacking, it's about expressing what's awesome. If you think that's a sign Apple is losing ground, find yourself a thread to start that discussion.

14. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

I really wish down voting was still here

15. SprSynJn Guest

TC03, those kinds if posts are best ignored as they serve no real purpose to the discussion. Kids wanting to start arguments is all they are, no less.

16. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, you're probably right.

----------

True.

17. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

So if Apple looses popularity in their smartphones their done for? You do realize they make more than just phones. Also there were mp3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone and tablets before the iPad and that didn't stop them from being a success.

18. PhilMcCracken macrumors member

From what I can tell, their popularity is still pretty tight with folks. ;)

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Then why did you post it on a forum? Get a blog.

20. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Let me clarify that: it's not meant for an 'iPhone vs. Android' discussion, we have had tons of those. A dicussion on the things that make iOS good, that's missing, and I think it shouldn't be.

21. Skika macrumors 68030

I enjoy my iPhone and for me it offers the best mobile experience. It does everything i want.

22. jcbauerca macrumors member

jcbauerca

I have a Samsung Note II just because the larger screen is better for my failing vision, however I still like the way my iPhone 5 responds better.

You are right Android still is a bit laggy. There is a lot of features that is available to the Android including all sort of ROM builds but after trying a few they are all still laggy and variations of the same thing.

If only I could get a iPhone with a screen as large as the Note II.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The iPhone 5 is my first real iPhone. I say that, because I have an iPhone 3GS, but it was given to me used and I'm not on AT&T so that iPhone is only used on WiFi. My iPhone 5 is what I use everyday as my regular phone.

Anyway, I got the black iPhone because I like black. The iPhone 5 has that 2001 (movie) black monolith look going and I really, really like that. I had it in a clear plastic case at first, but it really spoiled the look so I carry it with no case now and enjoy using it that way. It's a perfect companion to my black 5th gen iPod Nano.

But this to me is the singular reason I bought this phone. Everything else already mentioned here, while great, were secondary factors for me. While that means I buy form over function, well, that's just me.

BTW, Sense is cool. I used an HTC Touch Pro for three years and through judicious use of CAB files got Sense 2.1 w/weather installed and working great. That phone is now one of my WiFi devices. No way in hell would I go back to the stock TouchFlo 3D it came with!

24. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I love how the forum is flooded with another thread like this one :rolleyes:

25. Skika macrumors 68030

I love how you think you are something special while posting the most generic response ever.