Why the left hates Trump.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think I have an answer to why the left hates Trump more than anyone running on a GOP ticket. The easy answers are that they don't like his policies. Well that may be some of it, but I think there is more. I was listening to talk radio today because my Sirius was cutting in and out in the mountains and one of the commentators was talking about how Trump challenges the press.

I think this is it. He does not back down. Call any other Republican a racist and they will cower like a whipped dog. But not Trump. He just hits back and I think the left is so unused to someone doing that and they hate him for it. So the left has lost some of the power the media has over Trump and quite frankly I think that is what scares them, not his policies.

I don't think they will ever admit that.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump is a bully and a troll, that is why most reasonable people hate Trump.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he is hated by plenty in the GOP.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think the real reason that most Democrats, liberals, and progressives dislike Donald trump is the same reason so many Republicans do:

He is temperamentally and intellectually unsuited to be our nation's President. He has no experience of any sort of service (public or otherwise); he has a demonstrated lack of understanding of international affairs; the operations of Government itself; and the fundamentals of economics. He has a history of speaking recklessly on matters he knows little about, and in a manner that demonizes minorities. He is boastful, thin-skinned, and dishonest in both his personal and business dealings. He has suggested that the United States renege on our commitments to our allies; that we should ignore the Russian seizure of Crimea; and that he would welcome the hacking of US Government documents by Russian spies.

That's a start. Read more at CNN.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I don't hate Trump I just don't think he should be president

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's not it.

Primarily, it's because of his policies. I think the wall is a stupid and costly way to address immigration. I think his desire to bring back waterboarding and worse is abhorrent, inhumane and antithetical to our values. And that goes for his desire to keep Muslims out of the country as well.

In an election that's filled with hatred, I'd prefer not to add to it ... but you did ask. So the part of Trump that I despise is his egotism. He's always the best, the most, the greatest, even when it's patently untrue. The most recent example is I heard him talk about how everybody who knows him tells him that his temperament is his best quality, even though he's displayed time and time again a temperament that would embarrass a grade schooler.

He's an incredibly shallow egotist ... and when you add to that the aspect of never backing down, you get a personality that I find loathsome. It would be one thing if he were just a reality TV star. I could turn the channel and never have to expose myself to him. But as president, the thought of him representing our country and championing policies that are simply inhumane is a concept that I would not want to see come to fruition.

7. thermodynamic, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

What you say is why people are anxiously awaiting all of the debates, to hear what both have to say outside of a touchy feely photo op.

How much has he said with any detail to the point anyone could rightly begin to criticize? Oh, he's done a good job at relating to the common man, but look up how people said how well Bush did that because Americans wanted a guy they could have a beer with at a bar. Everyone wants someone to relate to, but let's hear the detail solutions and be prepared to make reasonable compromises because this country is still by, of, and for the people. All, the people, not few.

As for racism, I agree - most of us have white people worked with people who are not white and know most issues are not of race just because skin color is different. That's been increasingly a wedge issue for a long time, and before anyone asks it was even long before Obama ran for President when the problem was used as a wedge issue. It's only been made worse nowadays, by people of multiple colors of multiple viewpoints just to capitalize and profiteer from the wedge issue. Like being gay and using the issue to drum up business, or anti-gay to drum up business since the situation is the same just for the opposing viewpoint, just using it as a stepping stone as opposed to sincerely discussing the issue, it truly becomes petty after a while...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    Everyone always wonders why the person they vote for chooses to run, noting and citing various issues they endure. Isn't the answer to the question "egoism"? Who wouldn't want to be in a powerful position or at least be a nice figurehead or puppet if nothing else, since the least favored president can always retort with "I was president and did _______, what have you done?" (where "_______" is one of the few things most people could agree on and for the right reasons.) How can anyone counter the egowank of "What have you done?" (Such as donating money, everyone froths over the billionaire that gives up 0.00005% of worth to some cause, yet nobody cheers when anyone from the working class gives up 0.005%, especially when our .005% impacts our lives more than the 0.00005% does the billionaire... simple math, but the last I'd heard all the job creators keep saying Americans lack the skills, education, creative thinking, critical thinking, ability to not be written up for insubordination, and so on...

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Both major candidates are frankly toxic as hell. The "Free World" could do with a half-decent Leader now more than ever, and it's come down to a choice between the Demagogue and the deep blue C. Whichever one gets in, we're all screwed. Thank you, America.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think that any politician has an ego, ambition, and a thirst for power. What bothers me about Trump is that he takes it to absurd levels. It reflects on the quality of his mind. One of the main duties of the president is to be the face of foreign relations, and when you have a person who shows a lack of diplomacy and childish nature, that doesn't bode well for his ability to perform that duty.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What makes you think Clinton could negotiate her way out of a paper bag? Any notable diplomatic successes come to mind? They're as bad as each other. They don't have a principle or a clue between them.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you may be forgetting some of Secretary Clinton's accomplishments.

For instance, she was responsible for putting together the international coalition that agreed to the economic sanctions which ultimately (under the watch of John Kerry, her successor) led to the Accords which led to Iran giving up its nuclear weapons program and capability.

Secretary Clinton also brokered the 2012 ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. She led the outreach to Myanmar that culminated in that country's political reforms that have solidly placed it on the path to normalcy.

I think the Washington Post summed it up pretty well:

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What leads you to believe that Clinton can't negotiate?

The aspect about Clinton that I believe she'll bring, is that she'll understand how to manage the role. If you asked me to choose which candidate will deliver the nation and its relations in the best shape at the end of their term, I'd have to choose HRC.

From the outside it may appear that they are as bad as each other. But only one has vowed to build a great wall. Only one has said they'd bring back waterboarding and worse. Only one has threatened to bar Muslims from entering the country. Only one thinks global warming is a hoax.

13. Limey77 macrumors regular

I'm very surprised about this comment coming from you. Do you really believe that Trump would be as effective on the world stage?? Especially given Hillary's existing contacts and relationships compared to how the rest of the world sees Trump? (For anyone in doubt, the rest of the developed world sees him as a very, very bad joke that will destroy he world economy).

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

The Left doesn't hate Trump, it laughs at Trump. There's a conceit on the Right that pissing off liberals equals success (High five! USA! USA! Zima's all around! Pass the Cheetos.), when in reality the more successful they think they are, the harder we actually laugh at them. Trump and the 27%ers who adore him fall squarely within this construct. They swoon as he gives voice to their every stupidity and the Left laughs hard because he does.

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I guess then that I'm not reasonable :).

The left would be doing this to any GOP candidate that won the primary. Trump is not special.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps I was succumbing to an unreasonable episode of election-inspired depression. I do agree that Clinton would know her way around the job far better than Trump, and I do believe Trump would be an absolute disaster. But actually, neither of them inspires much hope for the future.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

While I agree with you that the Left would find things to dislike about any Republican candidate, I don't agree that Trump isn't a special case. I have never seen in my lifetime a presidential candidate so quick to make enemies or trash anybody who crosses him.

He went after his own party member John McCain, a former prisoner of war, saying that he likes the war veterans who "weren't captured."

That's just beyond the pale. If you think that's normal ... then maybe you aren't so reasonable after all.

18. Limey77 macrumors regular

That's more like the skunk we know and love!

I tend to agree (mostly). Trump would be a disaster and would probably lead to America losing its position of dominance in the world, dropping behind China and Russia.

Hillary I think will run a fairly tight but uninspirational eight years. Although I DO believe that with the gains the dems will make downballot that Hillary might well improve the ACA and actually get something done about guns.

Either way a blind drunk high on crack Hillary recovering from chemotherapy or Parkinson's (or whatever the latest idea is) would be 1,000 times better than Trump. Hell Charles Manson would be better than Trump

19. samcraig macrumors P6

I think there are a lot of reasons to "hate" Trump. Incidentally - I hate him as a candidate - love him as an entertainer.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think you need to stop listening to talk radio where self-serving ideologues are desperately trying to protect the rough beast they've tied themselves to as it shambles toward Bethlehem.

As for challenging the media. Yeah, sure, in the same way that a mean drunk "challenges" the bartender by being a jackass.

If there was any justice, Trump would have been thrown out of the GOP by his ear, but instead, the cowards in the party thought they could ride that paper tiger to wealth and election wins, not realizing that they were a forrest deer about to be blood on his muzzle.

The reason that calling someone racist used to make people cower is because people used to have shame and that acting like a monstrous ideologue currying favor with the far-right was a bad thing.

But, now it's apparently courage. Or something.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Absolutely untrue. You didn't ask me. I'll tell you why from my point of view. I think he is unsuitable for the job both in temperament and tone, but also knowledge. It has absolutely zero to do with the party he is running under. I wouldn't vote for him if he were the democrat nominee either. Or any other party. Unsuitable is unsuitable no matter what little letter is put in front of their name.

I cannot vote for someone who contorts their body in order to mock a disabled person. It is not presidential.
    I cannot vote for someone who talks about where women bleed from. It is not presidential.
    I cannot vote for someone who has spent their life trolling Twitter both before and during his run for office. And who has retweeted white supremacist. It's not presidential.
    I cannot vote for someone who wants to punch people in the face, see them thrown out into the cold without a jacket, or longs for the days where people were carried out on stretchers. It's not presidential.
    I cannot vote for someone who criticizes POW's and gold star families. Definitely not presidential.
    I cannot vote for someone with so little knowledge on world affairs. Sure there are a bunch of people around him propping him up now, but that's not good enough. Being President is not an entry level job.

So those are some, but not all, of the reasons that I could never support this man under any conditions. Over and over he has proved himself a completely unacceptable choice no matter what party he was running under.

22. Limey77 macrumors regular

Very well said!

The single ONE thing the Trump campaign has done is to invigorate racist ideals. People who used to reluctantly accept different races/religious for fear of being outed as a petty minded racist scumbag have now grown the balls to say the hideous things they've been thinking silently for years.

It's terrifying how he and his supporters have managed to undo 50 years of progress in just one year. Imagine where America will be if he gets four years to instill his bigotry!!!

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

He dares to rip through the stifling conceits of liberal society in order to castigate the "loyal opposition" for what they really are: TRAITORS.

24. Limey77 macrumors regular

Sarcasm right???