Why the need for 2 smartphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deeds500, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Deeds500 macrumors regular

I read alot of comments about people having more than one smartphone, not necessarily two iphones, but any combination of smartphones, eg an ip5 and a Samsung Galaxy, whatever the case may be. I'm just wondering, why is that? I'm not knocking anyone for that, everybody has their reasons and preferences, but I wouldn't mind knowing why. Am I missing out on something here? Do those with 2 phones or more know something I don't? Why? Me personally, I'm a one phone type of guy, it's my phone for work, rest and play....for all occasions.

Steve Jobs' vision with the iphone was that it would be your one stop device for all your needs, notwithstanding the fact that Apple continued to make/sell the ipod after the original iphone was released. Which also has me asking, why the need for an ipod if you have an iphone? Some people have both. Again, am I missing out on something here?

Even moreo, if a 5.5' screen i6 is released, a bigger iphone could almost do away with the ipad, if not the ipad mini. But would that stop you doing away with your tablet/tablet mini if you get the phablet?

2. stuffradio macrumors 65816

You're thinking too hard about it. There is no reason.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This, you answered your own question.

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

The OP is asking what those reasons are...

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

There is no reason? There's a reason for everything.

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I have 3 phones I use depending on how I feel, where I am going and what I am planning to do. As soon as the iPhone 6 (4.7") is released, I'll have 4 phones that I will alternate using.
    This isn't bragging, I simply like phones like women like shoes and purses. I just grab the phone I want to use for the day. I'm a tech junkie.

7. cebseb macrumors regular

Currently I have 3 in the rotation.

A Sony Xperia Z ultra google play edition for travel. Mainly to hong Kong and Japan. Some NFC apps play nice with the public transport and pay methods over there. Also, its unlocked so I can just buy Sim cards while I'm abroad and have a constant connection.

An iPhone 5s for business. My company is quite strict about the exchange server access rules for email and only the two most recent iOS cell phones are accepted devices.

An galaxy note 3. This is my personal phone outside of business and travel.

8. dekatch macrumors newbie

I know from some friends who use a second phone in their cars for navigation. or for sports they use a smaller phone or one which is some sort of water proof.

besides that it doesn't make much sense imo.

especially because you also would need multi sim cards or you have the trouble forwarding redirecting calls and ****.

9. sammy-boy macrumors regular

I'm also a tech junkie, have 3 phones currently. An iPhone 5 which is my main device, a Samsung galaxy ace 3 and an Xperia Z. The Z currently gets used mainly about the house on wifi due to the Google play services bug that drains the battery excessively fast but hoping to get it back on the front line soon as there's an update in the pipeline that should fix this.

They all were bought secondhand, can't afford to get them new. I like both iOS and Android ecosystems too for differing reasons, and like to keep my hand in both. Will probably look for a cheap 5S after the 6 comes out as it should push prices down - and hopefully produce a glut of cheap traded in 5S's!

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Personal and Work (iPhone 3GS). I'm not using a Personal phone for work. We can't connect personal smartphones to work email for security reasons.

11. bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Doesn't Steve Wozniack have 3-4 iPhones? I think he said because of the data plan.

14. Mildredop macrumors 68020

There's the reason you have 3 phones. Stuffradio was wrong.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The most common reason is that someone has a personal phone and a work phone.

However, of course some people just like buying new phones!

16. aleni macrumors 68020

Note 3:
    1. Downloading torrent tv season and watching it right on the note 3. No need computer again.
    2. Play emulator games with attached dual shock3 gameklip.
    3. Much better for browsing and playing coc because of bigger screen.
    4. Fully media consumption device with infinity battery life because i got the battery kit. Low batt, replace battery, boom 100%

Iphone 5s:
    Chatting, email stuff, music in car via bluetooth, phone, sms. Those stuff are really important with one hand use. Easier to use. Searching music on the playlist while driving is easier on the iphone too because of one hand use, and especially i got stuck on my itunes music library.

17. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Playing coc? I think you missed off a 'k'.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd chalk it up to personal preference. Some people like to segregate their work/personal phones others just want different devices. I see no need, but then my needs are lot more simpler then many other folks.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is all about choice and Apple wanting to sell as many devices they can.

Choice is always good and I trust that Apple has done it homework and is not worried about canabalizing it iPad business with its new phones.

I will likely get the 4.7 first and the 5.5 when it is introduced later. The 4.7 will be perfect for my daily driver.

20. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I have three active smartphones because I like choices. I've had every iPhone and enjoyed them. The only reason I'm not using one now is Apples refusal to stay up to date and offer one with a large display. If they finally make the 5.5" size then I'll buy one. I miss not having an iPhone but not enough to put up with such a tiny phone.

21. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Variety. It's nice to have a choice, isn't it?
    It's all what you prefer.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

I have a lot going on, and thankfully my work and personal device can be the same. Two devices would make me go bonkers. I need one reliable pocketable device plus my ipad (or laptop if needed) and I'm good to go.

I like my life to varied and different, but not at the cell phone level; I have a different ideas about what that means.

23. cynics macrumors G4

Some people are techie gadget people that like two different phones. Like an iPhone and Android phone.

Other people have a work supplied smartphone. Or can't use a personal smartphone for work related stuff. Or have so much work stuff going on they need 2 phones so they can shut it off when they aren't at work.

Some people prefer the pros of different phones for various reasons. Like a note 3 for gaming with native USB hosting for a game controller but the pockability of an iPhone or other smaller phone for everyday use.

There are quite a few reasons someone would do that.

24. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

1 that I pay for. 1 that work pays for.

Seems like a reason. You're really insightful.

25. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I use two, my Nexus 4 and my iPhone 5, I use the iPhone 5 as my main phone and all but sometimes, I need to use Android for some tasks.