Why the need for 2 smartphones?

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I read alot of comments about people having more than one smartphone, not necessarily two iphones, but any combination of smartphones, eg an ip5 and a Samsung Galaxy, whatever the case may be. I'm just wondering, why is that? I'm not knocking anyone for that, everybody has their reasons and preferences, but I wouldn't mind knowing why. Am I missing out on something here? Do those with 2 phones or more know something I don't? Why? Me personally, I'm a one phone type of guy, it's my phone for work, rest and play....for all occasions.

Steve Jobs' vision with the iphone was that it would be your one stop device for all your needs, notwithstanding the fact that Apple continued to make/sell the ipod after the original iphone was released. Which also has me asking, why the need for an ipod if you have an iphone? Some people have both. Again, am I missing out on something here?

Even moreo, if a 5.5' screen i6 is released, a bigger iphone could almost do away with the ipad, if not the ipad mini. But would that stop you doing away with your tablet/tablet mini if you get the phablet?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I read alot of comments about people having more than one smartphone, not necessarily two iphones, but any combination of smartphones, eg an ip5 and a Samsung Galaxy, whatever the case may be. I'm just wondering, why is that? I'm not knocking anyone for that, everybody has their reasons and preferences, but I wouldn't mind knowing why. Am I missing out on something here? Do those with 2 phones or more know something I don't? Why? Me personally, I'm a one phone type of guy, it's my phone for work, rest and play....for all occasions.

Steve Jobs' vision with the iphone was that it would be your one stop device for all your needs, notwithstanding the fact that Apple continued to make/sell the ipod after the original iphone was released. Which also has me asking, why the need for an ipod if you have an iphone? Some people have both. Again, am I missing out on something here?

Even moreo, if a 5.5' screen i6 is released, a bigger iphone could almost do away with the ipad, if not the ipad mini. But would that stop you doing away with your tablet/tablet mini if you get the phablet?
You're thinking too hard about it. There is no reason.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
There is no reason? There's a reason for everything.
I have 3 phones I use depending on how I feel, where I am going and what I am planning to do. As soon as the iPhone 6 (4.7") is released, I'll have 4 phones that I will alternate using.
This isn't bragging, I simply like phones like women like shoes and purses. I just grab the phone I want to use for the day. I'm a tech junkie.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Currently I have 3 in the rotation.

A Sony Xperia Z ultra google play edition for travel. Mainly to hong Kong and Japan. Some NFC apps play nice with the public transport and pay methods over there. Also, its unlocked so I can just buy Sim cards while I'm abroad and have a constant connection.

An iPhone 5s for business. My company is quite strict about the exchange server access rules for email and only the two most recent iOS cell phones are accepted devices.

An galaxy note 3. This is my personal phone outside of business and travel.

dekatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
I know from some friends who use a second phone in their cars for navigation. or for sports they use a smaller phone or one which is some sort of water proof.

besides that it doesn't make much sense imo.

especially because you also would need multi sim cards or you have the trouble forwarding redirecting calls and ****.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I'm also a tech junkie, have 3 phones currently. An iPhone 5 which is my main device, a Samsung galaxy ace 3 and an Xperia Z. The Z currently gets used mainly about the house on wifi due to the Google play services bug that drains the battery excessively fast but hoping to get it back on the front line soon as there's an update in the pipeline that should fix this.

They all were bought secondhand, can't afford to get them new. I like both iOS and Android ecosystems too for differing reasons, and like to keep my hand in both. Will probably look for a cheap 5S after the 6 comes out as it should push prices down - and hopefully produce a glut of cheap traded in 5S's!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Personal and Work (iPhone 3GS). I'm not using a Personal phone for work. We can't connect personal smartphones to work email for security reasons.

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
Note 3:
1. Downloading torrent tv season and watching it right on the note 3. No need computer again.
2. Play emulator games with attached dual shock3 gameklip.
3. Much better for browsing and playing coc because of bigger screen.
4. Fully media consumption device with infinity battery life because i got the battery kit. Low batt, replace battery, boom 100%

Iphone 5s:
Chatting, email stuff, music in car via bluetooth, phone, sms. Those stuff are really important with one hand use. Easier to use. Searching music on the playlist while driving is easier on the iphone too because of one hand use, and especially i got stuck on my itunes music library.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd chalk it up to personal preference. Some people like to segregate their work/personal phones others just want different devices. I see no need, but then my needs are lot more simpler then many other folks.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It is all about choice and Apple wanting to sell as many devices they can.

Choice is always good and I trust that Apple has done it homework and is not worried about canabalizing it iPad business with its new phones.

I will likely get the 4.7 first and the 5.5 when it is introduced later. The 4.7 will be perfect for my daily driver.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I have three active smartphones because I like choices. I've had every iPhone and enjoyed them. The only reason I'm not using one now is Apples refusal to stay up to date and offer one with a large display. If they finally make the 5.5" size then I'll buy one. I miss not having an iPhone but not enough to put up with such a tiny phone.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I have a lot going on, and thankfully my work and personal device can be the same. Two devices would make me go bonkers. I need one reliable pocketable device plus my ipad (or laptop if needed) and I'm good to go.

I like my life to varied and different, but not at the cell phone level; I have a different ideas about what that means.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Some people are techie gadget people that like two different phones. Like an iPhone and Android phone.

Other people have a work supplied smartphone. Or can't use a personal smartphone for work related stuff. Or have so much work stuff going on they need 2 phones so they can shut it off when they aren't at work.

Some people prefer the pros of different phones for various reasons. Like a note 3 for gaming with native USB hosting for a game controller but the pockability of an iPhone or other smaller phone for everyday use.

There are quite a few reasons someone would do that.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
I use two, my Nexus 4 and my iPhone 5, I use the iPhone 5 as my main phone and all but sometimes, I need to use Android for some tasks.