Why Tim Cook Should Threaten to Shut Down Apple Campus Amid Texas Anti-Gay Crusade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, May 14, 2015.

1. lowendlinux, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/why-tim-cook-should-threa_b_7273064.html

The thing that bothers me about this opinion piece is that were asking companies to take on leadership roles which give them more power than they already have. I would prefer corporations stay out of the "leadership" role even if I happen to agree with the what those corporations like Apple are advocating. I just can't see any real benefit from abdicating more power from government to corporations even if the government is being reactionary instead of leading.

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I think Tim is doing a great job with gay rights.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

So is Apple going to pull out of China because of their human rights abuses?

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Tim isn't shuttering Apple operations in Texas, China, or anywhere.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I tend to agree but since Citizen's United, all power resides with the rich and large corporations. If not corporations, who?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree with your take. Ideally companies should be apolitical and focus on their marketable product or service, and not the socio-political landscape.

I can see exceptions. When basic human rights are being violated, then it's time to reconsider doing business as usual.

Otherwise, stay neutral. I don't want to have to add one's politics to the buying process.

7. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sorry, I already have. While I can't not buy Koch coal, I can not buy Koch paper goods, and, I don't. I don't consider it a "boycott". I consider it a smart-buyer choice. I have no reason to buy anything from Hobby Lobby, but, if I'm ever in Hobby Lobby country and need some crafts, I will look elsewhere.

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Absolutely! No person is going to agree with another person 100% on every issue, let alone a business organization. Stay neutral-from a business perspective why alienate a portion of customers regardless of point of view.

Now when we get into the human rights issue-why not look at the slave like conditions in Foxconn- where people are paid dollars a day to make your device or Mac where is the outcry there? Or should Apple cease doing business in countries where homosexuals are stoned or thrown of roof tops?

I know we have our own first world problem dialogue going on here in the states, but elsewhere people are practically enslaved and people are literally killed for who they love-perhaps we can think about the bigger issues in the world when it comes to human rights.

9. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Maybe we should take long look in the mirror and ask ourselves if voting for ideologues and one platform candidates has made the US and the world a better place. Perhaps we should elect people based on their ability to make wise decisions first, then whether there is a (D) or (R) in front of their name. We get bombarded daily with hyperbole from pundits on both the net and TV, these people are not informing they are making money. The nation is as divided as it’s been in my memory and there is plenty of blame to go around for that but in the end the buck stops in the mirror.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The outcry has been voiced.

it hasn't produced change, but there has been outcry.

I'd need to know more about what constitutes "doing business".

Do you have more specific information?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

All a pipe dream unless we get the money out of politics.

13. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Sadly you’re probably right but I’d still like people to take a look at the mirror before they vote.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That train left the station a long time ago. About all we can hope for in this regard is some "leadership" from corporations that realize that some extremist groups don't care if the nation commits economic suicide in pursuit of "purity".

I don't think it would make sense for Apple to leave right away, or, threaten to, either. I think it would make sense for Apple to consider the local climate when it is searching for the next location.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, the short answer is that the current legislation in Texas will directly affect not only customers, but employees making operations in Texas untenable.

There's a big difference between a developing economy that offers low-wages and a US state creating new laws specifically aimed at homosexuals out of some atavistic fury over a potential SCOTUS decision.

Cook has visited Foxconn on multiple occasions and Apple has made direct effort to increase wages at its Chinese factories.

I don't think Apple (or anyone else for that matter) sells to Syria and there's no direct sales from Apple in Yemen, Iran, Mauritania, or Nigeria.

Of course, Apple should stop doing business in Qatar, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia but that doesn't preclude them, either way, from building Mac Pros in Texas.

There's a false choice built into this narrative. Apple can certainly chose to punish Texas for allowing itself to be run by a bunch of zealots and yet still maintain business in Saudi Arabia.