Why Trump won the election. Fareed Zakaria.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Why Trump won the election. Zakaria.

His opinion is nothing surprising, his points are pretty obvious to anyone who looks and pretty much what I surmised as well.

One thing I see but that still puzzles me:
    Trump matches the "know-it-all elites" definition, more than most, yet his supporters regard him as "one of us". For sure Trump knows exactly how to talk/tweet to their level, but that is enough to ingratiate themselves to someone whose next worth is more that the economy of cities they live in?

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I guess it is. He is seen as an outsider even though there are pictures of him hobknobbing and laughing with the Clintons. I would think those images alone would have sunk him, but they didn't.

Something that Fareed has been saying that really clicked for me, was that they view Trump like a sports team. It doesn't matter if the team loses. They still like them and will stand by them no matter what.

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Trump must be a 1 man Hockey team.

Never wins, but beats the hell out of the opposing team.

4. SoggyCheese macrumors 6502

SoggyCheese

Trump's net worth is tiny IMO. I'm absolutely 100% certain that his capacity for pumping his own status up is translated into pumping the accounts of his companies, and fully believe he's milking the government with all these Trump Tower and Mar-A-Lago expenses because it's that or another impending bankruptcy. Even with that, I'll be surprised if he has more than about $20m once assets and debt are taken into account.

He certainly doesn't behave like a billionaire.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He speaks their language.

6. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

One thing Fareed is saying as well, is that as this joke of an administration goes on, the rest of the world is not only laughing at the U.S., but they see the U.S. as an irrelevant player, thanks to the unfitness and ignorance of the Trump administration. This in the long term could damage the country more than his fervant base of clueless supporters could ever imagine.

7. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It's completely irrational for a disenfranchised working class to place their trust in a con artist. I'm deciding where on the scale this falls between extremely poor judgement, being dim witted or saying screw both me and you? What happened to the notion of working class being grounded with common sense and wise in the ways of the world? :oops:

8. samcraig macrumors P6

You can't buy class.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Lessons learned from Thornton Melon

10. samcraig macrumors P6

At least he had a good heart

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Re your last paragraph. We have that here with Nigel Farage - a rich chap that markets himself as "one of us". It's sad how folk fall for that.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Trump fancies himself royalty... the former king of NYC. I too doubt his net worth is really what he claims. He's probably worth more than $20m, but certainly not $8b. I won't say anything more as I don't want to be sued for slander. I'd be curious to know what his fluid assets look like though.

He was smart though to play the game like an "ordinary guy" though. While he certainly is part of the country's elite, he behaves otherwise making him far more relatable for some people. Americans also love the rags to riches stories which most of us realize isn't exactly the case in his case, though he has been independently successful. He doesn't act like a politicalin and says things no politician would dream of. Regaurdless of people agree necessarily with everything he says, I think they connect with him because he will say it. He also heavily promoted his family in the campaign, which demonstrates him as a "family man". So in essence people believe the illusion he's just an ordinary guy. His Boy Scout speech is a prime example of how truly unrelatable he can be for most Americans.

As for the sports team thing, there is a lot of that going around. Plenty of double standards and hippcracy. It drives me crazy as an independent thinker. I've been thinking about making a thread about the appropriateness of debate by saying "well Clinton/Bush/Obama did X". If Trump does X, Obama did X, and X is wrong, then it has to be wrong for everyone. Actions should not be excused just because you like the person who did it over someone else.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's just american politics.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I think this is spot on. But it is not just a FU to liberal/progressive democratic policies, but one also to do nothing republicans.

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

So the argument hasn't changed. Trump voters are poor, white, uneducated, old and racist. Yawn.

16. Populism, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Good lord is this still debated?

Hillary did not lose the election. She should have won in a coma.

Trump did not win the election. He's an idiot.

People who screeched "cisgender privilege", "ignore the ACA rate hike", and "if you disagree with Obama drone strikes then you're RACIST" caused the electoral vote.

17. adamneer macrumors 6502

Among a million other reasons, Trump won because he was a well known TV personality and people have been primed by 15 years of reality television "vote for your favorites" shows. They don't see the president as being anything other than a figurehead, so therefore assumed the worst he could do is make for bad entertainment. They saw CA survive through a Terminator governance and Minnesota through Jessy Ventura, so naturally the presidency was deemed safe. Overall, what won the election was a cavalier attitude towards American democracy and a safety net of anonymity if their vote ended up contributing to catastrophe.

18. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

No, but, misguided, is what I would say.

19. Zenithal macrumors 603

Debatable. I suspect his linguistic habits are learned behavior and not necessarily acted out.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

In the words of the article that is the reasoning.

21. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Let's not forget Trump's over-the-top negative, often vicious, campaigning against Hillary.

Also, Trump got working people to think that he cares about them while he had a long history of cheating those very people. A real con artist.

22. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Trump won the election because people wanted change. After 8 years of an African American President, they were desperate for change to bring some "normalcy to their lives". They listened to what he said about big changes, reversing everything Obama accomplished, and basically bringing America back to "normal".

That is why people accuse Trump and his followers of racism, and bigotry. I feel America was not ready for a Black President. As well as he did, and as much as he accomplished, it is all being reversed at a breakneck pace.

23. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

You ain't seen nothing yet, just wait until automation starts to destroy jobs and we have 40-50% unemployment in a decade or two. There's a 99% chance of a revolution of a civil war once people get desperate enough.

24. SusanK macrumors 68000

Yep. This evening on the news several Trump supporters were casually interviewed who said that firing Sessions would be the fault line with them. I don't know the locale. I was doing dinner prep and the tv was on. Sorry.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

By all means. Stay in your landslide bubble come 2020