why use screen protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TonyBaloney, Nov 5, 2011.

1. TonyBaloney macrumors regular

hey all, i was wondering why do people need to use screen protectors? I thought the whole point of using glass on the phone was because it was highly scratch resistant. I would think anything hard enough to scratch glass, a screen protector won't protect it that well. And screen protectors don't protect against drops. I also thought they detracted the look of the iPhone too. So is there a reason to use screen protectors? The only reason i could think to use a screen protector would be to use one of those "private" screen protectors to block wondering eyes.

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The glass is very scratch-resistant indeed, but it's not completely scratch-proof. I use screen protectors for the resale value as I update with every model. Must be doing something right because my phones are pristine. I also think having one on gives peace of mind. For most of us females, we tend to throw our cell phone in our bags, not in our pockets. To each their own, heh.

3. Mindy60 macrumors regular

When I bought my iPhone 4 last year, I bought the screen protectors. They are not cheap. When I later learned more about the glass, I quit using them. I see no need except possibly for anti-glare. But glare isn't a problem for me. The glass on my iPhone is good as new.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

anti-glare

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

The iPhone's screen is scratch resistant. Resistant being the key word, it isn't scratch proof.

6. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

I scratched mine visibly when I was at the beach and had a tiny piece of sand on my finger. Only takes one time. But I still don't use a protector, I think it degrades the quality of the display.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

In regards to point 1, on the contrary, they WILL protect against drops. When I had my 3GS with a Power Support Anti-Glare on the front and a Candyshell case on the back, I dropped my phone on a curb. It landed on the back of the case, bounced, and I watched in horror as it landed face-down right on a small pointy stone. When I picked it up and turned it over, there was a small indention in the screen protector and I thought for sure it would've gone right through that and hit the glass, causing a scratch or pitting. Nope. The screen protector took all the damage and the screen was like brand new. Needless to say, I put another Power Support screen protector right back on it.

Now, if you drop the phone face-down on a bunch of sharp objects, of course it may not protect it completely. But it will protect it from random hits.

In regard to point 2, how so? If you use a crystal protector, you can't see it. If you use an anti-glare one, it just makes the screen matte. I can't understand how it would detract from the look of the phone.

8. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

If you know how to put them on, then it won't change the way the phone looks at all really. I had some people at work tell me I SHOULD use a screen protector to keep it from scratching, my reply was "I do.. there's one on the fron't and back." Not a single air bubble or piece of dust under it.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'd rather have a screen protector than scratches on the glass.

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

+1 on the anti glare. I can see how a regular one might be useless though. I carried my last iPod Touch almost daily without a screen protector and in the end I sold it scratch-free.

Funny enough, my last phone also went without a screen protector and that thing was covered in tiny scratches all over after a year (it had Gorilla Glass).

Not sure if the Apple devices use GG but whatever they do use, it's pretty scratch-resistant...

11. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I was bumped while walking with my 4S. In a case. No screen protector. The screen shattered when it hit a tiny tiny pebble. I use a screen protector (and an otter box) now.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

So how did you get a new phone?

13. Eleer macrumors newbie

Eleer

So basically if I trust myself enough to know that I won't drop my iPhone 4S, can I go without a case and not have any scratches on my phone?

(I guess this is where the white iPhone 4S outshines the black one as it doesn't show smudges, etc.)

14. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

the iphone doesnt use gorilla glass.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Do you trust yourself enough to drive without insurance? Oh, wait... there's those other people to consider too.... What happens when a dink on a skateboard smacks into you, or someone bumps you getting off the bus. Or, it falls from the table when your clumsy friend sits down...

Sometimes accidents happen that aren't your fault...
    I was bumped by a guy running. I was just holding my phone by my side.

----------

Apple gave me a one time complimentary iPhone. I pointed out to them that they specifically told us not to use screen protectors when the IP4 first came out. The genius said yeah, they'd done that, but have changed their minds and now sell and encourage them...

16. Noisemaker Guest

I use those iPod socks. I have since my 1G touch, every subsequent touch, and now with my iPhones.

I've yet to get a scratch on any of them.

17. Eleer macrumors newbie

Eleer

Judging by your response I guess I didn't make my question clear enough. If I used the iPhone case-less, and had it in my pocket all the time, would scratches occur from it being in my pocket or is the glass THAT scratch resistant?

18. brand macrumors 601

brand

More than likely, yes the glass would get scratches on it because it won't be in your pocket all of the time like you said and usually people keeps multiple things in their pockets at one time or another.

19. FlakinJamaican macrumors newbie

I dropped mine on gravel and the screen protector had a small indentation in it too. I'm so glad i used one or it probably would've left a nasty mark on the glass.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The screen can still be scratched so I use a screen protector to keep the screen scratch free.

21. megapopular, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

megapopular macrumors 6502a

Well...

You can trust yourself all that you want but something may happen inadvertently that causes you to drop your phone. A screen protector will help to some degree to protect it from scratching, cracking or shattering. It will take the initial blow and disperse some of that force no matter how small of an amount, that may be the difference in keeping it from cracking or shattering. It's just the laws of physics.

Depending on the grade of screen protector you buy the decrease in screen quality will vary. Having a screen protector will add some small loss of screen quality, or to some people, it may be "enhanced."

22. McG2k1 macrumors newbie

I have one on my phone mostly to protect it from other things in my pocket. Car keys and loose change would be the usual suspect. I didn't bother to get anything to protect my iPad screen from scratches though. The flip cover is enough.

23. HotRodGuy macrumors regular

We had the screen protector off of my wife's 4 for 2 hours cause we were having problems with the sensor on her white phone. Sure enough it scratched in that time (suspect it was her diamond ring). We both are on our third iPhones. All have eventually scratched when not using a protector

Will never not have one....have one on out iPads as well

24. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

The glass may be scratch resistant, but sadly the oleophobic coating is not.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod