Why was David’s plan to build the Temple prohibited by God

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Aug 3, 2016.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

It wasn't the fact that David had killed, David slew Goliath and many others in war, but David's wars were conducted at divine direction. It was his adultery with Bathsheba and the blood he shed when he order the death of her husband Uriah:

http://drbarrick.org/files/papers/other/David_and_the_Temple.pdf

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'll add it to my novel wish list on Amazon and report back when I've read it.

3. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

What, never read the Old Testament?

Lots of killing and smiting going on, Love triangles, not really kid friendly.

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I grew up with bible stories and bible study classes. I personally believe that the bible is a real piece of history of things that actually happened, but I believe that those who heard Gods voice whether in a burning bush or otherwise were either high as hell or were schizophrenic.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Here's a fix for you:
    It wasn't the myth that David had killed, David slew Goliath and many others in war, but David's wars were conducted at divine direction. It was his adultery with Bathsheba and the blood he shed when he order the death of her husband Uriah:

Is this a bible study post or is there a point?

6. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

We don't know everything there is to know about man's brain, in fact we know very little. Anyone who says they hear Gods voice in there head today is most likely going to be written off as a schizophrenic, but how do we know they are not tuned into a greater part of the Universe than we are.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Unless they're politicians, for which God seems to be chatting up people from all over the map? Which God, for all we know it could be Zeus or the Corn God incognito. It's all so corny that maybe it is the Corn God, since many civilizations had one...

8. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

There's almost always a hidden meaning to my threads, but I don't just come out and say what they are because someone asks.

9. TheAppleFairy, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

We don't know, and most likely will never know...We do know people here "Gods voice" today, and we medicate them. They most likely suffer from the same condition.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I'm rather partial to the wonderfully witty novel "God Knows" by Joseph Heller which purports to have been written by King David, and which explores some of these very same themes and topics.

11. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

So it's likely that God never stopped talking to Man, Man just stopped listening.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think you can hear anything you want to hear if you concentrate enough. I don't concentrate a lot which is why I never hear anything my wife tells me.

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my kid Bible Studies Class in the Presbyerian Church persons told me to use the old studies stories as morality stories. However they always stressed the New Testament is the only way to study! They always said the Lord's Pray and to this day I can still say it!

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

An established counter argument: How do we know that the purple dragon living in my garage is not real?

Another example: we each live in our own reality, that your reality is not my reality, or even that Earth and your existence here, is unique to you, an elaborate learning simulator that surrounds you. Or the number of real souls participating in the simulator could be varied from just you to billions, with AI people place holders filling in the environment.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2016 ---
    Humans have a great imagination, plus as we learn more, we become less gullible and more discerning in our beliefs.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I have long thought that we create God - or gods - in our image, rather than the other way around.

16. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

There has been a push by some Christians to downplay, or outright eliminate the Old Testament, because the OT contains some prophecies that are contradictory to the New Testament. Such as Ezekiel

If King David is to be the King and prince of the Jews Forever and Forevermore, that doesn't leave much room for Jesus.

17. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

What I find rather odd, is for someone who supposedly doesn't believe in God, you spend an awful amount of time and effort trying to convince others, more accurately yourself, that He does not exist. I don't believe in purple dragons but yet I feel no need to try and sway other either way. Maybe your conscience is trying to tell you something. You first find God with your heart and then you rationalize it with your brain. Not the other way around.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The core of this discussion is wrapped around the human concern and fear, wondering if physical death is final- ashes to ashes. As an Agnostic, but separate from being Agnostic, I profess to being hopeful that physical death is not the end, but I don't know. I've been reading about past life regression and although it's not anywhere close to the realm of proven, it seems compelling which also might just be self comforting. ;) If I was a betting man, and believed there is an opportunity to know, it would be crossing the threshold of physical death, into a spiritual state. Wouldn't it be nice to get a debrief? ;)

So many other options, but I'll mention: 1) That your eyes are not opened upon death, you wait in limbo before being inserted into another body for another go at it. 2) A spiritual existence, with the option of visiting the Earth Simulator, like going to a classroom or taking a holiday. 3) Ashes to Ashes- When you are dead you are done, however, even then what were you before you were born? How did your molecules come together to form a consciousness? Is your consciousness a prod uct of molecules or something else? And with infinity to work with, would it be impossible that the essence of you does not emerge again?

19. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Speaking as someone who was dead for a good 15 minutes, I can tell everyone that there is life after death. I must, unfortunately, report that for me, it was the same life I was living before I died.

20. Huntn, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

There are two ways to have this kind of discussion, hammer in, reinforce indoctrination of the Bible, the equivalent of a tall tale, or have a serious discussion about our existence. :)

<Taps foot> I think we have been here before. :p When did I say I did not believe in God, as in supreme being? Do you know what an Agnostic is? Basically it means "I don't KNOW, it's above my pay grade to KNOW." :)

Does that insulate the Agnostic from considering their existence and the possibilities which might include a spiritual existence? Ah, no. The caveat is that the considering does not reach the level of belief, or they would no longer be Agnostic.

That said, I'll express that after a life time of reading about the Christian God, and observing Christians in action, I've arrived at the conclusion that it's highly unlikely as described, for the primary reason that the supreme, perfect being would not display all the faults that humans have assigned to it, along with the official rules that makes it easy for con men to fool the sheep. In other words, rules of a human origin. :D
    I think you've expressed this before, but I don't remember the specifics. What wre the circumstances and what do you remember from it?

And this is not meant as an argument, but what is being dead for 15 minutes- not breathing, no heart beat? I'd think that until you cells start dieing, that the spark of life is still in you, allowing you to be revived. In medical terms does no heart beat, no breathing qualify as death? Did your soul leave your body?

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My sympathy is with @Huntn on this matter, precisely because I think his concern may be because God puts in so many appearances - and is readily invoked so often - in US politics.

Viewed from Europe, this is more than a bit bizarre and is something we tend to find unsettling. Personally, I prefer my politics - and my society - to remain avowedly secular.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Awareness of religion, something hypocritically spouted hourly is a fact of U.S. the political environment, except with Trump, lol, who just gives it some infrequent lip service on rare occasions.

Regarding your statement, I suspect you have some kind of a spiritual view, but I could be wrong, maybe you are Atheist. No need to reveal, although it is helpful to know from where a person states belief. I am intrigued by the concept of a spiritual existence. I just don't like the Christian framework for it. And nope, I did not say I believed in anything! :)

Now unless we believe in nothing (Atheism) we all have to believe or hope for something spiritual in nature. The historical issue with Religion is deciding what God wants, then dictating to those around them for power, control, profit, and entertainment. To say we don't want churches does not mean we don't believe in spiritualism as much as it might mean, we believe humans when handed religious power, can't help themselves from mucking it up. It's best when religious theology focus on making yourself a better person, more tolerant, accepting of others, and looking for basic decency, but even that can cause issues based on how we define morality.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Your short answer is found in Chronicles:

TL;DR David had so much blood on his hands from all the wars, Solomon was chosen to build the temple.

Ugh I hate that I know this stuff. Waste of mental space.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No need to hate that you know this stuff; it allows for an understanding of wider cultural contexts without having to subscribe to their belief systems.

25. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Bummer

A debrief would be good, but the world would be better if he got a briefing prior to this life if in fact God exist or there is a bigger purpose or something to fear.