Why wasn't Ron Paul given a chance for a closing statement?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pink∆Floyd, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

He destroyed the debate yet not given the chance for a closing statement?

WTF? :(

2. tktaylor1, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Rick Perry got destroyed in this debate. Perry and Bachman were the losers of this debate. But to answer your question, I have no idea.

3. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Im watching it again now and from what it looks like to me is, the final part was taken up by the bickering between Romney and Perry. They just ran out of time. Bachman and Newt had to pretty much beg for a closing statement. But it looks like time was an issue.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Besides politicians who want to shift the entire blame for everything wrong with our country on the sitting President (except Ron Paul), the scariest thing I observed tonight on the CNN debate was the audience.

5. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Bachman did nothing but blame everything on Obama. She never really debated with anybody. It seemed more of a campaign than a debate from her. That is why she is a loser of the debate.

Why was the audience scary?

6. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Not that I'm a Bachman supporter, but that seemed to be a winning strategy for Obama.

well, that and campaign slogans that had no meaning other than their good connotations (change, hope)

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

People are overly enthusiastic and it saddened me in one of the previous debates where the death penalty was covered and some folks just had to shout and clap. Good grief. Tonight's audience was marginally better.

8. Huntn, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's people like this who put Bush/Cheney into office and are willing to consider a psycho like Bachmann as a serious candidate for National leadership. A group of people mostly willing to swallow the insincerity of the Republican message on just about every important issue. The number one position by many of them, if not outright spoken, then implied is that every problem the country is facing today is because the voters put Obama/a Democrat into office the last time around. Complete utter BS. If they were sincere they would acknowledge their own failures, but neither them or the audience would want to go there. It's much easier to rationalize you and your party are perfect, with perfect solutions for your group, while demonizing the opposition, a mainstay of GOP tactics.

And before you say, they are all alike, I'm not a Democrat but I've never heard the members of the Democratic Party spew forth such rancor and partisan hatred on a regular basis as it comes out of the GOP.

I'm sure if the right opportunity had came along, there would have been wild cheering. ;)

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

People who voted for Bush the 2nd time...within 6months were apologizing for their mistake.

Im speaking in generalities here but seriously, people vote on a single tiny issue or hangup, then dont care when they get screwed because they didnt see the bigger pictured.

"Oh, you were right. Im sorry."

Republicans and their voters are all like that.

10. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I didn't really hear Herman Cain blame Obama for anything and he did own up to his mistakes, for example the Tarp thing they were talking about. But yea all Bachman did was blame Obama and have a 2 hour campaign. She did not debate with anyone. And anyways she is not even in the race really, I think it is a race between Romney and Cain at the moment. I do think Cain wont last long, though, because all he has is his 999 plan and I don't think that will hold up.

11. Huntn, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think that most people are like that. They vote for the party who they think is aligned with their values. If they make the mistake of voting for an ass hole, they will apologize but continue voting for the same party, they just find someone who is better.

The problem I see are average citizens who votes GOP somehow thinking the GOP gives a damn about their piddly little lives. The GOPpers main concern is with big business, maximizing profits, with the end result of exporting millions of jobs when they can and putting those same voters, out on the street. I'm sorry, there just isn't any room to worry about the peons. The only hope is that at some point the light bulb clicks on and you realize they don't give a damn about you. You get the "trickle down" whatever that might be even if it's nothing, because you, the average citizen, are not important in the big GOP power scheme.

I did not say "all", I said "most". :) I'm not sure what I think about Cain. The real problem with the Republican primaries is that they all pander to their right wing base making most of them sound unpalatable to me. Although I am in complete disagreement with Ron Paul's Libertarian positions, if I had to take one of the GOP candidates, it might be him.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

The problem I see are average citizens who vote Democrat somehow thinking the Democratic Party gives a damn about their piddly little lives. The Democrats main concern is destroying business, minimizing profits, with the end result of exporting millions of jobs when they can and putting those same voters, out on the street.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's why I voted Democrat the first time, I loved how they **** on the U.S. economy, lol. :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion. Let me ask you this, what do you envision when you imagine a economy that is healthy for the majority, not a small minority? What do you do for a living? You think the Federal government should be neutered and corporate America can self regulate? How do you feel about MILLIONS of manufacturing jobs, the backbone of the Middle Class being exported since the 1970s, que sera sera?

Under the GOPpers if they can avoid a natural inclination of running off to war, the economy will hum along, but will you be in the teeny group of haves or the humongous group of have-nots? Personally I don't plan on being a peon whose main goal in life is to be sure my CEO master lives like a king...

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, Kavika. You know that's BS. If the Democrats wanted to destroy business, how do you explain policies that give money to businesses customers? For every dollar taxed, the business gets customers. If Democrats wanted to harm average citizens, then why do average citizens (and small businesses) benefit from democratic policies?

You make a big claim, but can you back it up?

*(edit) BTW, if you vote GOP, then you support them. You can't pick and choose. They hate every religion other than Christians. They advocate policies that could kill you (environment/medicine). They want to take money away from the poor so that you can be responsible for the sick, old and infirm in your neighborhood. They want to invade any country that has oil, but have no interest in passing on savings (or costs) to you. They support the banks that want to charge you more, take your homes, and basically charge you for using your own money. They think people who make a billion dollars a year (of income) gambling on the economy are "job creators" even though they don't operate any actual businesses. They just gamble on them.

The GOP is what it is. If you vote for them, be prepared to defend them and their policies.

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Oh, mcrain. Thanks for proving my point by blowing off the post I quoted/mimicked, by demanding explanations, asking rhetorical questions, and otherwise unleashing your faux angst on "the other side," but demanding none, asking none, of your own.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? Because I'm willing to argue any position I stand for with facts, figures, and opinion. Name the topic, I believe what I believe because I am familiar with the facts and am willing to defend them.

I do not agree with every democrat, and I don't agree with every democrat policy, but if a Republican proposed something that would help the American people, I can f apostrophe ing guarantee you I wouldn't vote for someone who opposed it, regardless of party.

Can you say that?

17. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Here's what I can say, mcrain - two things. First, I generally enjoy debating you. However - second - you are wholly incapable of discussing a single topic without conflating in other topics, usually with rhetorical questions.

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

True, and no one is stopping you from not answering questions and avoiding debate. Obviously.

19. dime21 macrumors 6502

Because he's a conspiracy theory nut job?

20. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

He predicted the 2008 economic collapse. He believes in real money and real freedom, versus what we have in the US today, which is an illusion.

If, by conspiracy, you mean the true definitions:

1. the act of conspiring.
    2. an evil, unlawful, treacherous, or surreptitious plan formulated in secret by two or more persons; plot.
    3. a combination of persons for a secret, unlawful, or evil purpose: He joined the conspiracy to overthrow the government.

then, yes, his (proven) THEORY is that the federal government is embroiled in many CONSPIRACIES.

21. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Because Democrats totally support anti-capitalist ideals.

Totally.

22. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Read: going back to the gold standard, which would be completely inadequate to monetize modern society. It's not 1890 anymore.

Including the freedom for businesses to discriminate based on race!

It's not 1953, either.

23. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

No, going back to a value based currency will stabilize it and keep government spending in check. No fiat currency has ever stood the test of time; every single one has failed, and ours will eventually as well. Our own dollar has lost 95% of it's purchasing power in the past seventy or so years.

Businesses should have the freedom to discriminate. And consumers have the right not to frequent those businesses. Places that reject certain people won't stay in business for long because of that reason, and that will take care of the discrimination problem almost by itself. It's a true free market.

24. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

You have a cite for this? (This outta be good...)

Not in America, they don't.

25. Cursor, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

Cite: http://dailyreckoning.com/fiat-currency/
    Although there are many more, plus listings of all of the fiat currencies that have tanked.

That's because we don't really have freedom in the US, or a true free market economy. By the way, nice job selectively quoting what I said, so it misrepresents what I actually meant.