Why we are losing in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OldCorpse, Apr 14, 2007.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

The centerpiece of our long term success in Iraq, was supposed to be reconstruction. It was also supposed to drain the insurgency by providing jobs to the local youths. Why has reconstruction failed? Illuminating article below. Shocking - or not - the U.S. government has not only not learned the hard won lessons of the people we sent to supervise the reconstruction, but actually nobody in the U.S. government is in the least interested in learning anything at all from the experienced veterans of those operations. We are doomed to fail.

Smoke and Mirrors

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200704u/iraq-state-department

2. Queso macrumors G4

Reconstruction was a priority? I thought this was about funnelling cash into the US war machine. Halliburton etc. didn't ever have to actually do anything except get paid.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Reconstruction has failed because it isn't all about money.

4. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I thought the failure had something to do with the lack of security, and no desire on the part of Iraq's people to get along with each other...:confused:

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Why should the Iraqis be happy to accept largesse from their invaders, especially when it is doled out with such corruption?

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It all started when the Iraqi Army was suddenly out of a job and with no pension benefits; however, they found a new way to occupy their time in the form of a Sunni insurgency. If I was in their position I'd be mad as hell too. :cool:

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How do the Shiites fit in with that theory?

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The Shiites never had a job in Saddam's Army so I don't know.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Well, doesn't your theory have to answer the whole question to be valid?

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, I'm thinking that if Saddam's Army was happy to begin with, there would've been no need to start an insurgency and the whole country would've been calm. As it were, it's like striking a match and the then holding that match to the rest of the book of matches.