Why were some of the most successful people written off as failures growing up?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hieveryone, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

Hieveryone macrumors 68020

We see this all the time from Michael Jordan getting cut from the basketball team to Meagan Fox eating lunch in the bathroom because she had no friends.

One of my friends is 26, and he works on Wall Street. He's a millionaire. He can pretty much have anything he wants.

Growing up, his teachers looked down on him. In high school his teachers said he's not going to be successful. He was bullied and teased by his classmates.

He went to college and graduated with highest honors. After having some setbacks, he found his way to Wall Street.

After getting introduced to the game, he worked his butt off night and day. He found a few good opportunities that went his way and blew up.

The rest his history.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    They said I'd amount to nothing. Said I was destined for failure. Look who's laughing now! HAAAAA! HAHAHAHHEheheheebohooohohohohooohoh :runs away crying:

3. chown33 macrumors 604

I gave you an upvote for poignancy.

4. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Well kid, at least you are a success now, having achieved a grand of inane posts on MacRumors within a year of joining…….

And you have all the status symbols of success - the Benz SUV, the MacBook pro, shopping at Tiffany's, an iWatch Edition coming for the girlfriend, and no doubt much, much more.

Have all these come as a result of your sweat or smarts…..?

Or is it simply entitlement that comes of being born a patrician in this new age of feudalism?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Thanks. :sniff: I could use all the upvotes I can get.

6. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'd really want to see whether successful Wall Street people could be successful at much else.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm sure they'd make excellent cadavers for dissection in Gross Anatomy.

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Even if they wouldn't be good at other things ie being a nurse, teaching, law, etc why would they need to be?

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's like saying Bill cheated with Monica - typical example of a Democrat

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

No I would think TYPICAL of a politican.:)

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No need. Find your niche and fill it.

Regarding the thread theme, it's just a reflection of complexity. Given a large enough population you'll find examples of every type of upbringing and every kind of outcome. Patterns and tendencies may emerge and indicate more probable outcomes, however, there will always be exceptions and outliers.

IMO, it really doesn't matter. All you can do is work on your outcome and hopefully surmount the obstacles in your way.

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

These folks found their niche is all. The Manfred von Richthofen aka the Red Baron was an uninspiring calvaryman. If not for the invention of the airplane, he would have been ignored in the annals of history. Were would Einstein be if he had focused on writing instead of science?

The only person I can think of who ran counter to what commonsense would dictate and still managed to excel was Beethoven. A deaf man who wrote beautiful music. That's illogical, that's insanity.

14. Hieveryone, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what it's all about. My friend really had no direction, no help, no guidance, nothing.

He said there was nothing to even indicate that he would be successful because it's not like he was a role model student growing up. He wasn't "that guy." If anything he was outcast and looked down upon by teachers.

That's why he never became a doctor who coaches little league baseball and has a pearly white smile that everyone in the community fawns on like some of the role models might have become.

He just followed his heart and it worked out.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe being told they would not become successful was the kick in the ass they needed to become successful.

Contrast that with many millennials today who were raised being told how special they are and everything they say matters and the rest of that crap. Many can't handle the real world,

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Back in your day it was better right?

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

They'll turn out fine.

You're just experiencing those-damn-kids angst.

Normal onset hits around 30 to 40 years of age.

Unfortunately, it's chronic.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

Depends on your definition of success and that is of course totaly subjective.

If working at X and owning Y is your goal, and you notice that all the losers and dumbasses seem to work X and own Y then, well maybe your lifes goal is to be a loser and dumbass, too. ;)

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You'll find many people when told they are unable or not allowed to do something because more determined than ever to do exactly that.

I think it's all about how you take the criticism.

21. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Sure that could be true. For me, I don't agree with this "everyone gets a trophy" bull. I'm not old but how else is someone going to feel motivated to become successful unless they fail? That's what brings them back, makes them stronger, and builds character.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Not all doctors are like that, and those who are were more likely internists. Not people on the cutting edge of technology and innovation in medicine.

As for your question, some people are late bloomers, or some people always take the road less travelled and end up more successful than following a defined path.

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

I know a surgeon who's like that. They're your God fearing, America loving, little league baseball coaching, church going, family man who cares about his community and serves his patients with dignity type.

He's not fooling anyone though. Word is that his practice is going under hence the image.

24. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I think if you're very comfortable and popular in life, you don't try as hard as someone who's miserable with nothing to lose. They have something to prove to the world. And they probably weren't distracted with dating in school.

25. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

Yes, Senseless and Rdowns. Some people that are told are often told they suck or that they will do nothing in life are motivated to do better. SOME people have a certain competitive quality that pushes them to be successful.

I believe that we all need a little bit of a nudge in life. Some need it more than others. I think it all comes down to the perfect balance between positive and negative feedback. Some get it and some don't. Everyone's needs are different, though.