Why will AT&T give unlimited users 5gb LTE instead of 3gb like on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I was curious about this for when the new iPhone comes out.

Why would AT&T cap 3G users at 3gb before throttling as a greedy money grab to nickel and dime unlimited users... but then be nice an give us 5gb of LTE data?

I refuse to believe that AT&T is doing this to simply be nice ;)

Does going to a website on your phone with LTE use more data than 3G?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

3G networks are FAR more congested (partially due to a different design, largely due to the sheer number of 3G devices out there) than LTE networks currently. AT&T will change their tune, eventually...

No, simply going to a website on LTE will not use more data than on 3G, except in the case where you are clicking links in a website before the entire page loads. In that situation, LTE may load the whole page faster, thus consuming more data, although that is not likely to be a problem for most.

3. lazard macrumors 65816

this

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

AT&T has added a lot of towers and other gear to their high speed infrastructure over the last year. Now it's time to get users on the new system. Overload of 3G has become worse than ever. Too many 3G handsets in the system.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hate to say it but you make a great point.
    It would be nice if they bumped us up to 5GB LTE but knowing them and how they change things when it comes to iphone users I wouldnt be surprised if they left us at 3GB.