Why wont my G3 iMac even play the keynote vids anymore?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marbles, Feb 27, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Ok ,I resurrected this Mac recently and I know it's old etc but Apple did keynote videos back when this machine was released didn't they? so what's changed, surely this iMac should play simple web based video like that.

It just stutters and stops ,stutters vid gets blocky then I get the beachball...

Some video will play fine , some wont , especially on YT etc but on Apples own site I thought I've have no problems at all...

what's going on?

any help appreciated as always

thanks muchly

~m

Btw it is a 500MHz graphite G3 with 1Gb RAM, with recent fresh install of Tiger and fully upto date .

2. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Back when it was new, keynotes were streames and in a relaitivly low bitrate and resolution. The keynotes have moved on drasticly since then, they are now encoded using H264 at near DVD resolution and at quite a high bit rate.

H264 is a meaty codec, and takes a lot to decode (OK not much on modern machinea) but on a G3 you will struggle. The 1.33GHZ G4 Powerbook i gave my dad when I got my iMac sometimes struggles with BBC iPlayer.

The only thing wrong with your computer is that it's old, nothing more. if you've downloaded them already, try watching them Full screen in VLC, they might play back smoother, but I doubt by much.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Like everything else nowadays, web video is becoming bloated and over-saturated with more & more TB's of data.....

It's actually a conspiracy by the entire industry to keep making the hardware requirements higher & higher, so that everyone has to continually buy new(er), faster computers, hdd's, ram, video cards etc etc......thereby ensuring the continued existence of all of the companies involved :eek:

4. marbles thread starter macrumors 68000

marbles

Thanks guys, I was hoping for a magical fix but I guess you confirmed my fears....time to pull that trigger :D